Sides

For discussion, WIPs, and downloads of the DMI (Dynamic Map Idea)

Moderator: Moderators

RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Sides

Post by RepSharpshooter »

Teancum wrote:
RepSharpshooter ([i]The Plan[/i] Thread) wrote:Leveling Up
Not all the units are available from the start. The “better” units such as the Jedi will be unlockable through points. This makes a kind of “leveling up” system, pending that the world will have sources of points for doing positive things.
Yeah, but you've got a lot of classes there, you can only have 9 + a hero and have it fit on screen.
I don't really think we need heroes, you get better classes by point unlocking. And then there are 9 on each side, a total of 18 if we merge the teams together. Suppose we have 3 base classes * 5 levels = 15 classes + 3 jedi = 18 classes.

Super_clone, please do not use so many caps and repeated exclamation points, it helps people read your post easier.
Super_Clone
High General
High General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Super_Clone »

RepSharpshooter wrote:
Teancum wrote:
Not all the units are available from the start. The “better” units such as the Jedi will be unlockable through points. This makes a kind of “leveling up” system, pending that the world will have sources of points for doing positive things.
Yeah, but you've got a lot of classes there, you can only have 9 + a hero and have it fit on screen.
I don't really think we need heroes, you get better classes by point unlocking. And then there are 9 on each side, a total of 18 if we merge the teams together. Suppose we have 3 base classes * 5 levels = 15 classes + 3 jedi = 18 classes.

Super_clone, please do not use so many caps and repeated exclamation points, it helps people read your post easier.

Yes Sir
Silas
Captain
Captain

Post by Silas »

I forsee a few a few problems with the system though. Only one full "set" of level ups could be on a side. For at least one class, you would have to switch over to the enemy side just to get the level up. Here's a visiual example:

Side #1

Sniper 1
Sniper 2
Sniper 3
Sniper 4
Sniper 5
Smuggler 1
Smuggler 2
Smuggler 3
Smuggler 4

Side #2
Smuggler 5
Soldier 1
Soldier 2

and so on

also to be a jedi you would have to die/kill yourself if you're team 1, which would be an annoying hassle.
another also is this doesn't leave room for non-combat units, unless we're totally dropping that idea
Super_Clone
High General
High General

Post by Super_Clone »

Silas wrote:I forsee a few a few problems with the system though. Only one full "set" of level ups could be on a side. For at least one class, you would have to switch over to the enemy side just to get the level up. Here's a visiual example:

Side #1

Sniper 1
Sniper 2
Sniper 3
Sniper 4
Sniper 5
Smuggler 1
Smuggler 2
Smuggler 3
Smuggler 4

Side #2
Smuggler 5
Soldier 1
Soldier 2

and so on

also to be a jedi you would have to die/kill yourself if you're team 1, which would be an annoying hassle.
another also is this doesn't leave room for non-combat units, unless we're totally dropping that idea

well its possible to give a jedi a compleatly transparent blane so if you where to give a jedi a second saber as a second primary weapon,w/ no damage properties , you would have a jedi w/ a deactivater saber, and w/ gunnmen, you would swithch to a fusion cutter :D :yes: :D
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Silas wrote:I forsee a few a few problems with the system though. Only one full "set" of level ups could be on a side. For at least one class, you would have to switch over to the enemy side just to get the level up. Here's a visiual example:

Side #1

Sniper 1
Sniper 2
Sniper 3
Sniper 4
Sniper 5
Smuggler 1
Smuggler 2
Smuggler 3
Smuggler 4

Side #2
Smuggler 5
Soldier 1
Soldier 2

and so on

That's a valid point, Maybe there could be a dummy hero, that lets you press F1 and go to the side select screen, where you can choose a different team/unit
Silas
Captain
Captain

Post by Silas »

That would make sense Rep. Another problem i noticed is if, from my example, two soldier class players wanted to fight each other, they would have to teamkill, which may or may not have a large negative effect on gameplay.

Personally i think it would be best to have the three classes and jedi on each side, which leaves three slots open for what i suggest should be the Bountyhunter class, one non-combat unit that can be in the battle arena stands/walk around the city, and maybe another class type.

Obviously, this would make the leveling up system harder or impossible. A lot of people like the system (me included), but the side layout i described seems a bit more practical. It's up to the modding community to decide i suppose
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

There are no non-combat units. There only will be punishment for killing inside city limits. There are no teams either. Teamkill is non-existent. There will be just "kill"
woner11
Sith
Sith

Post by woner11 »

What kinda punishments are we talking about?
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

woner11 wrote:What kinda punishments are we talking about?
Kick, ban, being killed yourself, etc.

EDIT:
I like your original idea, Rep. I don't see a reason to have a Bounty Hunter class if we're going to go hunting them.

Also, what's so bad about switching teams? In my mind you wouldn't notice the difference.
Culvar
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by Culvar »

Fingerfood wrote:
woner11 wrote:What kinda punishments are we talking about?
Kick, ban, being killed yourself, etc.

EDIT:
I like your original idea, Rep. I don't see a reason to have a Bounty Hunter class if we're going to go hunting them.

Also, what's so bad about switching teams? In my mind you wouldn't notice the difference.
You'd have to respawn. Thus you'd loose some of the points you earned.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

Ah, but see, I'm sure that it is possible to implement the Hero respawn code where you don't point-wise die, but you respawn and can select a new character.
Silas
Captain
Captain

Post by Silas »

RepSharpshooter wrote:There are no non-combat units. There only will be punishment for killing inside city limits. There are no teams either. Teamkill is non-existent. There will be just "kill"
oh. i didn't know that was even possible to have non-teamkill when fighting people on your side. Then your original idea would work great i suppose.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

RepSharpshooter wrote:
Teancum wrote:
So then you're planning on the two playable teams being set to friendly to each other? That would work -- set the two playables to friendly and all locals to enemy.
Syth
General
General

Post by Syth »

When i play sometimes i have to kill myself to see the switch team icon, idk why

Just so theres some variety in ideas heres my take on sides

Same as current, but:
  • Smuggler has shotgun rather carbine - it would have the power blast (which could be more shots per salvo). It would be a weaker shotgun so a powershot is actually useful
  • Rifle has frenzy feature instead
  • Carbine is the backup for 4 or 5 levels as backup rather pistol
  • At level 5, add fusion cutter to smuggley, bacta/powerup thing for soldier, maybe detpacks for scout. Or something along those lines for more weapons.
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Those are some good ideas :thumbs:
Blade
Captain
Captain

Post by Blade »

The only thing I don't like about Syth's ideas is giving the smuggler a fusion cutter as a "level up." I'm just wondering, will there even be anything that needs fixing/slicing?

On the other hand, I guess we don't want to over power the smuggler, and have everyone be it. Eh, I'll get out of this conversation, as I seem to be contradicting myself a lot :roll:.
Silas
Captain
Captain

Post by Silas »

i agree with Blade. Most of Syth's ideas are good, except waiting until level 5 to give a unit an item useless in combat. It would be usefull outside of combat only if there were things to fix, and the only thing i can think of like that would be vehicles...so instead of a fusion cutter, maybe something more useful to a smuggler (like a grenade that does no damage but blinds everyone nearby temporarily)

i like the shotgun with backup carbine later idea a lot. that has my vote
Aman/Pinguin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Inactive

Post by Aman/Pinguin »

Silas wrote:(like a grenade that does no damage but blinds everyone nearby temporarily)
Maybe a Smoke-Grenade?
Blade
Captain
Captain

Post by Blade »

I'm just wondering, what would the Sniper feat do? I already can't remember what it did in KotOR (finished it 3 days ago :D), but... would it just make the sniper rifle do more damage? Or would the 1 level sniper rifle be less accurate (you can set up some inaccuracy in the .odf, can't you?) and then the higher you get, the less it... jitters, until it's like a regular sniper rifle? (far too accurate, IMO...) Just wondering what it would do :).
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Well in kotor, blasters fired very clumsily. But with the sniper shot, it became both more powerful and accurate. It would sometimes even stun the foe (perhaps we could add a knockdown effect to the ordinance). I think it would just charge up like a wookie bowcaster.