Upper City?

For discussion, WIPs, and downloads of the DMI (Dynamic Map Idea)

Moderator: Moderators

Caleb1117
2008 Most Original Avatar
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Upper City?

Post by Caleb1117 »

Don't forget, you can also fly up there, there will be landing pads.
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by RepSharpshooter »

I think elevators are fine. They work so far, also gives it a better sense of reality.
PsYcH0_]-[aMsT3r
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by PsYcH0_]-[aMsT3r »

WOW! That looks amazing but ive just gone crazy!!! Sry but i gona stop DMI and possible swbf2 modding cus im gona start moddin HL2. (i think). Anyway sry to stop guys but i cant take this anymore.
trainmaster611
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by trainmaster611 »

yeah, I think the teleporting elevator is a good idea. Mind you there is a problem with teleporting elevators: they can only bring you one way. So you're going to need two elevators, one to go up and one to go down.

Another foreseeable problem is buildings with more than two floors for the elevator to stop at. If you have levels, 1, 2, 3, and 4, there's no way to have the elevator that makes multiple stops since you can't have a 'starting region' and an 'ending node' in the same place.
Silas
Captain
Captain

Post by Silas »

trainmaster611 wrote:yeah, I think the teleporting elevator is a good idea. Mind you there is a problem with teleporting elevators: they can only bring you one way. So you're going to need two elevators, one to go up and one to go down.

Another foreseeable problem is buildings with more than two floors for the elevator to stop at. If you have levels, 1, 2, 3, and 4, there's no way to have the elevator that makes multiple stops since you can't have a 'starting region' and an 'ending node' in the same place.
if it's possible to trigger the teleporter in an area you're standing in, you could have little boxes numbered for each floor inside the elevator. when a box dies, the teleportation is triggered and you're shot up to the desired floor. I talked it over with my friend, and he suggested this, and i thought it was a good idea (if it works)
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Silas wrote:...you could have little boxes numbered for each floor inside the elevator. when a box dies, the teleportation is triggered and you're shot up to the desired floor...
Yeah, multi-floor stuff would have to be done that way with a normal elevator too, unless you wanted the player to jump out while it was moving...

What is the region limit?

You don't need two 'elevator shafts' for a two-way teleporter. You can have the trigger region in the back half of the elevator cart and the transport point in the front half. Whenever someone walks into the region, they get teleported to the oppsite transport point.

Also, the transport points don't have to directly line up like an elevator has to. If you wanted an 'elevator hub' in the sky, it would be doable.
Frisbeetarian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Frisbeetarian »

[RDH]Zerted wrote:What is the region limit?
I think that Mav can confirm this, as he hit it while making Spira, but I'm pretty sure it's around 70.
Aman/Pinguin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Inactive

Post by Aman/Pinguin »

Frisbeetarian wrote:
[RDH]Zerted wrote:What is the region limit?
I think that Mav can confirm this, as he hit it while making Spira, but I'm pretty sure it's around 70.
It's exactly 70. ;)
trainmaster611
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by trainmaster611 »

[RDH]Zerted wrote:
Silas wrote:...you could have little boxes numbered for each floor inside the elevator. when a box dies, the teleportation is triggered and you're shot up to the desired floor...
Yeah, multi-floor stuff would have to be done that way with a normal elevator too, unless you wanted the player to jump out while it was moving...

What is the region limit?

You don't need two 'elevator shafts' for a two-way teleporter. You can have the trigger region in the back half of the elevator cart and the transport point in the front half. Whenever someone walks into the region, they get teleported to the oppsite transport point.

Also, the transport points don't have to directly line up like an elevator has to. If you wanted an 'elevator hub' in the sky, it would be doable.
Yeah I thought about that later. You could have a teleporting elevator on every floor that brings you to a central 'elevator room'. Then you go into another elevator that brings you where you want to go (one elevator for each floor).

That way, you only need two elevators per level (unless you insist on doing the front-half, back-half thing which is kind of confusing) and you can start from anywhere and go to anywhere.
Blade
Captain
Captain

Post by Blade »

I think Trainmaster's idea is a good one. The only downside I foresee is that that could potentially use move regions than the box-thingy, depending on how many stops the owner wishes it to make.
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: None because BFII is not working
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by General_Nate »

Hey guys! I would like to add my building to the 'upper city', but I don't know how to tape measure up and down..... Could you tell me how please? Thanks!
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

General_Nate wrote:Hey guys! I would like to add my building to the 'upper city', but I don't know how to tape measure up and down..... Could you tell me how please? Thanks!
The BF2_modtools.exe has a command in the console for measuring height, and height in XSI is equal to height in ZE.
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: None because BFII is not working
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by General_Nate »

Thanks! I just noticed.... I BUMPED! Sorry about that.....
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by RepSharpshooter »

if you select a vertex in xsi at the way top or wherever, you can see the x y z coordinates, where the y would be height in xsi.