The Old DMI Plan

For discussion, WIPs, and downloads of the DMI (Dynamic Map Idea)

Moderator: Moderators

RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

The Old DMI Plan

Post by RepSharpshooter »

Dynamic Map Idea

This thread is for discussing the plan on what goes into the map. Please limit your conversation to this topic only, but feel free to share your ideas.

General

Layers

Layer loading through LUA?
Zerted proposed that each layer could be loaded through the lua, which would enable a more coherent synchronization between the layers.

Sides

General Idea
The two sides will be seamless, as they would comprise of the same types of units. There will be no clear distinction of teams. Every unit will have weapons

Leveling Up
Within each side, there will be a hierarchical structure of units, meaning that the class selection will range from a common person to a Jedi. However, not all the units are available from the start. The “better” units such as the Jedi will be unlockable through points. This makes a kind of “leveling up” system, pending that the :shock: world will have sources of points for doing positive things.

There are 18 total units to select from if both teams are put together. A sample setup would be to have 3 base classes and 5 levels, which allows for 3 different varieties of Jedi. It ultimately depends on how many levels we need versus how many base classes we need.

Jedi
It seems the jedi are taking the police role. Perhaps we could have a "Jedi master" class that is validated to only certain people. The regular Jedi Knights would be still subject to the no kill rule. Now as to how to validate the Jedi Master, we could just use one of the techniques that I described, it is as follows:
Hidden/Spoiler:
In the lua is a list of "approved" people. When a player spawns, his lua checks itself if it is on the approved list. This is done through the getProfileName call or something like that. If the player's profile does not match one on the list, he kills himself, which the server would allow. Now you may ask, "well how do we keep someone from stealing someone else's identity?" The answer is that getProfileName does not get the GameSpy ID of the user. It gets the regular profile name (which IS NOT displayed online if you have a GSID). This means one could use the profile name as a "password" which nobody would know.
This way, a person could not just spam points to level up to a Jedi and instantly be impervious to the justice system. The Jedi Master’s would be the only people impervious, which would be securely validated to responsible people.

Random Geometry
It has been proposed that upon spawn, the player will be switched to a random geometry. Pseudocode for this is:

Code: Select all

OnCharacterSpawn()

randomNumber = rand() * 5 
newlySpawnedGuy = GetEntityMatrix([GET THE NEWLY SPAWNED CHARACTER])

SetProperty(newlySpawnedGuy, "GeometryName" "Model[randomNumber]")
However, it cannot be a random number, per say. Else 2 different people would have completely different pictures of a crowd of people. It perhaps can be seeded by the game timer. (quotes from Teancum and Zerted)

The City

Logistics

Restricting Weapon Use
The city region would punish the killing of human players (except for the battle arena, if duel mode is going to be used). If a player kills a human within the city region, he will be punished (kicked/booted/banned), and the victim will be force spawned.

Forcefield/Barrier
We may see the need for some sort of city wall/barrier. The function of this barrier would be to keep people from shooting into the city, and to keep wild animals out.

Jedi Temple

Floor layout:
-Jedi master room
-Sparring arena
-Droid Fighting Arena
-Obstacle Course
-Meditation rooms
-lobby

Jedi Master Room
Has the Jedi Master chairs, good view. Perhaps change the chairs to be sit-able.

Sparring Arena
Has a health regeneration region (possibly a damage region with opposite health). This enables Jedi to fight each other in friendly competition.

Droid Fighting Arena
Has a health regeneration region (possibly a damage region with opposite health). Also spawns droids (possibly magnaguards) indefinitely.

Obstacle Course
A series of moving blocks try to push you out of your way. Perhaps a raised path you have to follow and not touch the ground.

Cantina

General Idea
Will be a place to kick back and relax.

Features
-Booth seats that can be entered like a vehicle.
-Jukebox with music.
-Xfire chatroom to be associated with it.

Battle Arena

Note we could perhaps incorporate only one of the modes if we had to. Ultimately it is my opinion that the latter would be more fun and a better experience.

Duel Mode
Two or more players fight against each other in the arena. Points would be awarded for kills. Some creative scripting would have to be done in order to specify friendlies versus foes.

Wave Mode
One or more players enter the arena and fight off waves of attacking enemy AI. With each wave, both the number and difficulty of the units increases (different types of units are spawned. This is modeled after Pandemic’s Clone Wars game.

The Outskirts

Enemies in the Countryside

Animals
Wild animals could be added as a local team. It could be modeled off of some of KotOR’s worlds such as Tatooine and Dantooine, where wild animals existed. They could be enemies that attacked you and did damage. The player could also receive points for hunting them.

Swoop Gangs
As in KotOR, in the countryside you may find some “swoop gangs” or regular thugs that won’t like your presence. Enemies of this nature could be Mandelorians or Duros. Once again, the player would get points for killing them.

Private estates
It would be possible to put some small residences out in the country, to give to the ambience. Autoturrets could protect against armed people.
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: The DMI Plan

Post by The_Emperor »

As this is going to be a fairly big city, maybe you should make some signs with the map on it here and there (just a few) stating "You're here" or an arrow or something :P I'm saying this because I can see myself, for instance, wanting to rent a car and get totally lost. Only problem is that the sign might need to be fairly big lol.

Something simple as this
Hidden/Spoiler:
would be good enough if some of the names were replaced with what the building is for. (though if you want I can make it pretty hehe)

Or, maybe a better idea, you can have a sign near each block, stating for instance: (you were probably already planning on this)
Hidden/Spoiler:
O
- Fragme!'s garage

or

L
- Jedi Temple

or

D
1 Taivyx's Random Letters
2 Trainmaster's Silly Trains
3 Fingerfood's Forkshop
4 Repair Depot
In short: Direction signs :P

As always, just a small suggestion, to aid people who get lost quickly. Like me.
PsYcH0_]-[aMsT3r
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by PsYcH0_]-[aMsT3r »

Lol you could make a map of the place and put it on a sign post and number everyones houses! Like more signpost and stuff. And a race track or something would be fun maybe with some mad things like loops!
Hebes24
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Hebes24 »

I like Empy's Idea. Signs would be helpful indeed.

A race track would also be an interesting Idea.
trainmaster611
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by trainmaster611 »

Just for the record, the subway stops will be at the Battle Arena, the Downtown Square, Public Bar/Train Station, and Jedi Temple.

If we build other town like 'private estates', since they'll be so far away, we could make a train service there :D
The Duke
Private

Post by The Duke »

Idk if this has been suggested or not. But RepSharpshooter mentioned a huge building that would have stairs and possibly an elevator. Wouldn't it be cool if this building were the training place. Like it could take the N lot or 2 squares and each floor would pertain to a different training area. Like floor 1 could be ammo and health. Than floor 2 would be the shooting range, floor 3 would be the obstacle course, floor 4 would be the human vs AI blah blah etc you get it. I think this would be a good idea because the building is big enough to hold all means of training, and since they are in 1 building, it would be easier to find where you want to go. It just screams a padawan training center to me :D

Keep up the good work!
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Sounds like good ideas! I'll have to make some of those signs. @The Duke, that's sorta what the jedi temple is. See "Jedi Temple" above. I also am also planning a military base of some sort, but don't know if that'll work out.

Also, for one of the jedi temple sparring arenas, I spawned four IG-88's weilding double-bladed sabers. Is this ok? There's a hidden health droid that only gives health to people, so you don't die.

EDIT: Working on a mini "wave mode" for the jedi temple. It'll throw at you progressively harder units until you hit the reset button. A big thank you to zerted for all your help, and getting me started on the right track.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

People, I have a race track! It's not the best, I should probably scale it up. It'll probably only fit one or two swoops or cars or whatever we're gonna use.
Frisbeetarian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Frisbeetarian »

I was wondering about these animals. I know that we have tauntauns and kaadus , but other than that what animals are there (and those are hardly ferocious, attacking animals, I don't think they would lick us to death). In the past, I think people have had a hard time trying to recreate a skeleton for a new animal, and limited success has been made with enveloping an AT-AT/AT-ST skeleton. In short what plans do you have here?

In terms of the quaternions, I found a euler to quaternion converter HERE. If that doesn't work, there's also a Matlab toolbox that I could take a look at.
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

I was thinking FragMe's dewback without a saddle. Perhaps it may be ferocious enough then.

Edit: mini wave mode working for jedi temple. It works like this, you destroy ai in groups of 4. As you keep destroying them, the unit classes change to harder units. So far I have:
IG88 - doublesaber
Magnaguard- doublesaber
Droideka- blasters

I really need more suggestions.... I'm thinking about actually adding sith to it.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

The_Emperor wrote:3 Fingerfood's Forkshop
Oh, so I'm supposed to create a restaurant now? Hey... that's actually a good idea!
RepSharpshooter wrote:I really need more suggestions.... I'm thinking about actually adding sith to it.
I'm going to say this again, how about those cute little turrets from Portal? :)
Hidden/Spoiler:
I've got a whole little idea on how that'd work. Maybe they could even be implemented into the obstacle course.
Challenger33
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Challenger33 »

Feel free to use my seeker droid as one of the weaker units in the training area-unless for some reason you make it stronger than a droideka :P

That is, if you would rather use them for that than have them replace the probe droid. Your choice.
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler

Post by The_Emperor »

RepSharpshooter wrote: I really need more suggestions.... I'm thinking about actually adding sith to it.
If you do add sith, you could always do "hologram" ones, real ones would be out of place I'd say. Make em trans blue and yer done. (lol it sounds easy but I doubt it is)

Or those annoying training remote things, remote droids who are flying around annoyingly fast whilst shooting at you and Rosh is always done beating them before you are. Ok forget the Rosh part.

Maybe a SERIOUSLY SERIOUS reskin of Grievous, making him look very very very different, if possible (I'm thinking metal with a single visor and some mechanical stuff and stuff), but only if the reskin works (hereby offering to give it a shot, provided someone sends me the skin lol)

If you want it to be difficult, maybe some sort of droid who shocks you, stunning you for a short time (though maybe that's annoying). Maybe Challenger's droid could be the zapper :D (though you need to replace the probe droid with that one aswell lol, maybe one of them could have different colors)

Well, that's enough maybes for now.
PsYcH0_]-[aMsT3r
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by PsYcH0_]-[aMsT3r »

Hmm you could have some tiny wampas! Lol crazy idea but with a reskin say brown, they'd be good. And maybe something like those flying thing that are really easy to kill in JKA. There are a few in Vader's castle on Vjun in the tunnels. Also i could reskin some things into creatures for you if you want cus ive got loads of free time at the moment :D.

EDIT: Hmm once my models finished maybe Ill make some little flying things you could use. I need to make stuff like this for modeling practice anyway :D
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

The_Emperor wrote:
RepSharpshooter wrote: I really need more suggestions.... I'm thinking about actually adding sith to it.
If you do add sith, you could always do "hologram" ones, real ones would be out of place I'd say. Make em trans blue and yer done. (lol it sounds easy but I doubt it is)
Actually, that's mega easy :D Just hex-change the material attributes to allow for transparency, then in Photoshop/GIMP desaturate the texture, add a blue hue, then add an alpha channel with 50% grey.
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler

Post by The_Emperor »

Teancum wrote: Actually, that's mega easy :D Just hex-change the material attributes to allow for transparency, then in Photoshop/GIMP desaturate the texture, add a blue hue, then add an alpha channel with 50% grey.
Right, I just rememberd *cough* a map which had a transparent tusken in it :P
That being the case, I'd go for hologram sith. Only question is what should their lightsabers look like? *Searches the interwebs for answers*
PsYcH0_]-[aMsT3r wrote: EDIT: Hmm once my models finished maybe Ill make some little flying things you could use. I need to make stuff like this for modeling practice anyway :D
May I suggest this? :D
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Sounds good!

Also, running into some walls:
Message Severity: 3
.\Source\LuaCallbacks_Mission.cpp(1365)
AddUnitClass(8, jed_sith_01) : Max classes (12) exceeded

Message Severity: 2
.\Source\LuaCallbacks_Mission.cpp(3867)
Team number (8) out of range in AddAIGoal()
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Yep, I remember coming across both those limits before. 12 classes is the max, though only 10 will show on-screen, and you can only have 8 teams. It's hard coded.
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

So this means I have to do some scaling back.

Jedi Temple Mini Wave mode gets 3 classes:
  • IG88
  • Magna
  • Sith
Battle Arena Mini Wave mode gets 3 classes:
  • SBD
  • Droideka?
  • Wampa? :lol:
I can still change the number of units spawned to increase difficulty.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

RepSharpshooter wrote:So this means I have to do some scaling back.

Jedi Temple Mini Wave mode gets 3 classes:
  • IG88
  • Magna
  • Sith
Battle Arena Mini Wave mode gets 3 classes:
  • SBD
  • Droideka?
  • Dwarf Spider? ( just like Clone Wars Academy)
I can still change the number of units spawned to increase difficulty.
For the IG88/Magna/Sith you can always try cheating with LUA coding. Just use SetProperty to change the model of the character, plus that character's health. It'd be better if you could grab a specific instance of each character, but I don't get deep into lua scripting, so I dunno if there's a function for that.