GT Mappack 4 Competition

This forum is used for voting in various GT sponsored competitions or announcing upcoming events. Now open to the public. Before you ask, only Mods can create polls, but all members can vote in them.

Moderator: Moderators

CarbineImpulse

GT Mappack 4 Competition

Post by CarbineImpulse »

We're well into 2007 now and it's high time (and just a little over due :wink: ) for a new, completely original GT mappack.

We are hoping to release the new GT mappack (our 4th non conversion pack) hopefully in early June, so we are looking to you guys for some outstanding work from some previously unseen maps.

For this mappack we're looking for something spectacular, something new, basically we want you to blast our socks off! When you are thinking about making or submitting a map for the pack we want you to experiment with choosing from a more diverse selection of planets and locations (anything new is good! :) ), try exploring the expanded universe for ideas. We are also eager to see new models or ingenious use of existing ones, in fact we're all really eager to see all the great new innovative things you can come up with.

Have a look at some of the past mappacks and check out the list of great names you'll be joining if your map makes the grade. As well as having your name among the greats, the pack will also be a great showcase for your talents and ingenuity.

Ok now the deadline for completed maps is 4th May (may the 4th be with you!), try to not remember that! :wink: :)

Now as great as we want your maps to be we've still got to have a few restrictions. These are limited to:
  • 1 Map entry per member.
  • Map size must be under 128MB (once compressed)
  • Map must be new, no publicly released maps or betas (WIP's are acceptable).
In addition to this you may work on a map as a team, but the team leader will get credit for the map

Once all the maps have been submitted there'll be no updating allowed so make sure you enter your final version! Gametoast members will then get a couple of weeks to play and vote for the best. This way we can choose the ones to be included in the pack.

If you need assistance with your map then check out the various forums and threads, all the answers are bound to be on Gametoast somewhere.

If you're interested in submitting a map for inclusion in the pack, then you'll need to make a post below indicating the planet and location of the map you are working on. This is so that we don't get any maps that are the same. In order to reduce the chances of plagiarism we also recommend you keep as much information about your map under wraps as possible, especially if your are requesting help in the forums.

Finally remember completed maps must be able to be downloadable by users on or before4th May. Once your map is available to be downloaded simply post the URL here so that the rest of us can check it out for rating.

Ok, make this great and good luck!
Last edited by CarbineImpulse on Fri May 04, 2007 6:22 pm, edited 27 times in total.
Penguin
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

RE: GT Mappack 4 Competition

Post by Penguin »

Name: Ez'Shz: Sun'ken
Planet: Ez'Shz ((Made up))
Description: Underwater map Located outside a underwater mining station, Material from the mines is highly explosive when dry so its mined underwater.
Total Time: 247 minutes
Preview: Two hours of work. :: Enviroment Alpha Render ::

Appart of my Map series ((going to be after a few more maps)) but I'll make it early and release it for this since its a simple idea but will be great.
Last edited by Penguin on Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:10 am, edited 4 times in total.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

RE: GT Mappack 4 Competition

Post by Fusion »

Name: Murdora- Confederate Base
Planet: Murdora (my own creation)
Location: 3,000 miles above the surface in a floating Droid Base
Current Status: 9% complete (units, map, vehicles, and effects not added)

Bespin Platforms, Yavin Temples, and recon units, what isn't to love? :P
(Very very early production picture)

As I mentioned in the news section, xfire me if you need a good idea.

Also I might point out, the rules aren't changing, sorry.

It's not that hard to make a good map, it's just people procrastinate. Look at Eddie's Death Star, it was made in less than two months without the mod tools
Last edited by Fusion on Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elmo
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Elmo »

I'll be entering Mygeeto: Storm (name change)

I won't post the info here as i have a whole topic on it :p

Edit: Ahh, I'll just post info... lol.

2 main bases, 3 large bridges, 2 small bridges, 2 side platforms- will feature Majin's sides with the UT-AT And an eerie look :)
Darth_Z13
Jedi High Council
Jedi High Council
xbox live or psn: Xanthius Wylon

Post by Darth_Z13 »

Name: Toola: Frozen Tundra
Planet: Toola
Percent Complete: 45%

Sides: 55%
Map: 35% (Layout Finished, adding objects)

It's going to have the Cold Assault troopers, Kai Hudorra and Commander Keller (I've got an idea about him)...

It will be Clone Wars only.

Pictures:

Kai Hudorra

Cold Assualt Trooper
Last edited by Darth_Z13 on Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Schizo

Post by Schizo »

Name: Kessel (May or may not add to the title)
Planet: Kessel
Location: Located in an Imperial prison facility, connected to some spice mines and other assorted Imperial-like locations.

Unfortunately, I haven't worked a single minute on the map yet. So I basically gotta do the whole thing from scratch. I'm not too sure I'll be able to make the deadline, but I'm going to try. The thing is, however, is that the map is going to require me to learn how to model, and since the tutorials haven't really helped me all that much, I just gotta make it up as I go and learn XSI through trial and error. So between learning how to model, making the models, and making the actual map, I'm not so sure I can make it in just under a month, considering I haven't started on it.

We'll see though. Worse comes to worse I just release it separately... though I would like the publicity of the map pack, seeing as how this is probably going to be the last BFII map I'm going to make. After this I'm pretty much done, aside from maybe one project I've been wanting to do with Epena for a while, but at this point it doesn't look like it's going to go anywhere any time soon.
-_-
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by -_- »

Name: Zaftina: Crossfire [Clone Wars Only]
Planet: Zaftina -- Custom Planet

Not going to post much details and features until I'm sure they'll work.
Penguin
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Penguin »

One Map per Person. You are only allowed to enter one map into the compititon.

Only maps that have not been released to the public. IE, Release Thread on these forums, Star Wars Battlefront Files, Filefront, etc are allowed.

Maps that have only been released as a private beta to a select few players are allowed in. ((how else will you get feedback on your map?)) But not publicly released maps.
Rik_Jinn

Post by Rik_Jinn »

Name: Ord Cestus
Planet: Ord Cestus

It's a map based on what I think the planet Ord Cestus is like. It's not made up by me it's from a book: The Cestus Deception. It will be awesome with cool sides and stuff :wink:
Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Xavious »

Name: Utapau : Descent

Its set in the bottom of a Utapau sinkhole on a huge lake. I won't give any more information than that.
Last edited by Xavious on Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

Post by SBF_Dann_Boeing »

Title: The Madness Factory
Planet: The Chaos Realm (same planet Realm of Chaos and Ultimate Cage Map are featured on)
Current Status: 3% (Beginning Zeroedit Work)
phazon_elite
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
Location: I'm sorry Link, I can't give the location. Come back when you're a little...mmmh...RICHER!

Post by phazon_elite »

Oh dang. So I can't enter my map, eh? There goes that idea...
Well since my Kamino is ruled out, I'll enter my Mount Corona map:

Title: Mount Corona: Marshlands (or Rogue Defense)
Planet: N/A (no need for one)
Location: Mount Corona plains, Arathi Basin (real location I think) , and the Lesser Fault Line. This area known as the Arathi Plains, or Arathi Fields
Current Progress: 35-40% done:

Planning done, water is finished, layout is done, object placement needs a little more work (too much lag when placing all those trees lol), lighting almost done (still experimenting with a less greenish light), side work is about 60% done (my skin in the glamour skins thread is now in this one!), and terrain blending needs to be done better in the center of the map.

UPDATE: See above ^

- EP-000782
Last edited by phazon_elite on Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.
darthtrogsasea

Post by darthtrogsasea »

im entering aros akila flats

:: is it okay if i put it up tomarow or would it not be enterable
CarbineImpulse

Post by CarbineImpulse »

Note: Rule update with regards to teamwork:

you may work on a map as a team, but the team leader will get credit for the map

Topic has also been purged to have only map ideas and rule updates etc... if need be this will be done regularly.
darthtrogsasea wrote:im entering aros akila flats

:: is it okay if i put it up tomarow or would it not be enterable
Once a map has been submitted no updating is allowed. You've still got 2 months to work extra on it, if it was me I'd continue working to make it as great as possible :wink:
Gogie
Modeling Master
Modeling Master
Projects :: Tinkering away with LEGO

Post by Gogie »

Name: StarForge
Planet: StarForge System (Unknown)
Location: In space, the skies above the Unknown planet in the StarForge system, the battle itself takes place inside, outside, and all around the star forge battle station, and the starforges energy source, its sun.
Percent Complete: 75%
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Now I'm working on a map on the side, but it may also be included in the SWBF Conversion Pack 2.0 final. Is that cool with the Map pack rules?
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

I guess, just as long as it isn't released before this pack is finished.

Just post the information on it.
CarbineImpulse

Post by CarbineImpulse »

Teancum wrote:Now I'm working on a map on the side, but it may also be included in the SWBF Conversion Pack 2.0 final. Is that cool with the Map pack rules?
Hmm now that's a tough one. I think if your side project map is definately going in conversion pack v2.0 then it should not go in the GT Mappack 4. The reason for this is down to pack size etc... If your map is included in the GT mappack as well as the conversion pack, then that means (due to final pack size limitations) that another mapper will miss out on their opportunity of getting in the competition pack. Your side project map will be getting publicity from it's appearance in the v2.0 conversion. It just means an extra person gets a good spot to showcase their talents. Now if your not putting it in v2.0 then go for the mappack comp. I guess the desicion rests with you as to which you'll put it in. It's within the rules but putting it in both is probably a little unfair on those entering the comp. Hopefully that makes sense, it's late here. :)
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Oh hey, speaking of which, mappack maps should have source files sent to someone. Then we can put everyone's maps in one addon folder (we'll call it /GT4). It makes for easy install/uninstall. This is very easy to do and I plan on creating a tutorial this week on how to combine all your maps into one addon folder.
CarbineImpulse

Post by CarbineImpulse »

Penguin has agreed to do that.