Boats Evolved; bigger, modular boats

Everything not related to modding Minecraft goes here. Share pictures and movies of your building progress, share access to the best Minecraft servers and helpful hints and usage related to the game.

Moderator: Moderators

[TFA]Padawan_Fighter
High General
High General
Projects :: Ha - as if I will ever get back to them
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 ARK EliteDngrs
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Boats Evolved; bigger, modular boats

Post by [TFA]Padawan_Fighter »

Aaalrighty now, I'm now 100% this is where Minecraft ideas go, but I'm pretty sure it's not the Mod section as that's for mods. This is an idea I (and 101+ others) want to see added to the base game.

Anyway, the idea, like the title suggests, involves an extended range of what you can do with a boat, and being able to construct bigger boats.

Before actually going ahead and reading it, I'd like to just let you know the idea is huge. I saw to it that it was comprehensive and pleasant to read, but it's pretty big. Weeks in the making just to get the pictures.

So, here you go. http://getsatisfaction.com/mojang/topic ... h_out_huge

What do you think?
DrakusFett
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: Playing BF3 for PS3
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft and BF3
xbox live or psn: PSN: DrakusFett

Re: Boats Evolved; bigger, modular boats

Post by DrakusFett »

Wow. This is a very nice idea and you did very well on all the screenshots ect. I think this would be a good idea. :D
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

It's a great idea; I'm confused however on whether this was an idea that Notch/some official person came up with, or purely yours. And if it IS purely yours, how would one go about putting that in game?
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: None because BFII is not working
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by General_Nate »

Nice idea!

However, the larger boats would be hard to code. They are possible with the Zeppelin Mod, but for vanilla Minecraft, I don't know. The idea of placing blocks on an entity is impossible, unless the ship is made out of blocks itself. (which is what the Zeppelin Mod does)

I read where you were indirectly 'Placing' blocks with the hammer, but I'm not sure if that would work.

I would love to see this as a mod, but it would be even better if Notch added it so we could have sea battles on MP. :D
DrakusFett
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by DrakusFett »

General_Nate wrote:Nice idea!

However, the larger boats would be hard to code. They are possible with the Zeppelin Mod, but for vanilla Minecraft, I don't know. The idea of placing blocks on an entity is impossible, unless the ship is made out of blocks itself. (which is what the Zeppelin Mod does)

I read where you were indirectly 'Placing' blocks with the hammer, but I'm not sure if that would work.

I would love to see this as a mod, but it would be even better if Notch added it so we could have sea battles on MP. :D
I do have to agree with Nate it would be hard to do and some of it is impossible.
[TFA]Padawan_Fighter
High General
High General

GangsterJawa wrote:It's a great idea; I'm confused however on whether this was an idea that Notch/some official person came up with, or purely yours. And if it IS purely yours, how would one go about putting that in game?
It's purely mine; halfway into the development of the idea I found a tweet made by Notch expressing interest in making bigger boats, but nothing implying he was already doing it.

What do you mean how would one go about it? Java's pretty versatile...
General_Nate wrote:Nice idea!

Well, see, here's where it's a little different. The blocks aren't being placed on the entity. Instead, an entity mimicking that block is placed on the ship. See what I'm talking about? By the way, you don't place blocks with the hammer, you remove them. You place blocks with the blocks.
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: None because BFII is not working
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by General_Nate »

I think I see. So if you right clicked the boat with a block, it will jump to the fixed point?

I'm also pretty sure that beds would be unusable though.

Another potential problem I see. Have you ever used the Planes Mod? If so, you may have noticed that when looking around, the model of the plane will sometimes become invisible. This is because (and I could be wrong) of the large model. Most entities in Minecraft are really small, and the game was not originally made to hold large modeled entities. I'm sure there is a way around it, but it could be tough. Like, re-programming entities tough.

I have modded Minecraft, so I know what it can do, but not enough to know what it can't, so all this could be possible, and I wish you luck. :)
[TFA]Padawan_Fighter
High General
High General

Thanks!

Oh. Man. It's got 190+ likes AND an official response. And it's only getting more and more popular.

You guys got any idea how proud I am now? :p
DrakusFett
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by DrakusFett »

I do! I just added my mods to the forums and I have people posting that they like the ideas all ready! :D

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :D

By the way added another point 194(Forgot to earlyer :oops:)
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

Wow! That's an excellent idea. I think the last one (Galleon?) is a little much though.

However, this would be INCREDIBLY difficult to actually put in-game. :(

Warning: long speculation in this
Hidden/Spoiler:
blocks turning into entities? entities tacked on to entities that are removable? Walking on entities that are in motion and comprised of many subdivisions? yikes. The only thing I can think of is possibly a large array that keeps track of all the possible places to put "blocks" and another that keeps the ID of it? (of course another for metadata.) As of right now I am pretty sure Minecraft can't detect which part of an entity you click, so that's a major barrier to overcome. I think a system of "hotspots" accessed through a GUI might work, though. You'd also have to use the "facilites" through a GUI with this system, though. Plus, there'd be a large amount of modeling. Can java support hardpoints like we have in SWBFII? It could be possible to "attach" models from blocks to different "hardpoints" like we have in SWBF. I've been digging through the Render***.javas and boy are they ugly. I hope this un-offical speculation is some help to you!
I do hope you can get it in though, and I would love to use these boats.

Whoah, just had an idea: This could be a really great "add-on" release once Minecraft proper is finished!
[TFA]Padawan_Fighter
High General
High General

CressAlbane wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
blocks turning into entities? entities tacked on to entities that are removable? Walking on entities that are in motion and comprised of many subdivisions? yikes. The only thing I can think of is possibly a large array that keeps track of all the possible places to put "blocks" and another that keeps the ID of it? (of course another for metadata.) As of right now I am pretty sure Minecraft can't detect which part of an entity you click, so that's a major barrier to overcome. I think a system of "hotspots" accessed through a GUI might work, though. You'd also have to use the "facilites" through a GUI with this system, though. Plus, there'd be a large amount of modeling. Can java support hardpoints like we have in SWBFII? It could be possible to "attach" models from blocks to different "hardpoints" like we have in SWBF. I've been digging through the Render***.javas and boy are they ugly. I hope this un-offical speculation is some help to you!
-Never know. Java can do some awesome stuff, though.

-I *believe* Minecraft has hardpoints. Such as attaching yourself to a boat, minecart, or pig. Also I'm pretty sure that's how the cows' horns work.
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith
Location: In the refrigerator, behind the mayonnaise, next to the ketchup, and to the left of the coleslaw

Post by GangsterJawa »

Congrats on the official response dude! This is something else to look forward to! ...Should I ever actually BUY the game.
DrakusFett
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by DrakusFett »

Come on Jawa Your missing out :)
Buy it!

http://www.minecraft.net/store
GangsterJawa
Sith
Sith

Post by GangsterJawa »

DrakusFett wrote:Come on Jawa Your missing out :)
Buy it!

http://www.minecraft.net/store
I'm also broke...

however, my little brother is willing to spend more money than me and he might eventually give me the money to buy it with (he doesn't have a card yet).
DrakusFett
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by DrakusFett »

Well good luck! haha your missing out :P
[TFA]Padawan_Fighter
High General
High General

230 stars, I'm so proud of myself right now.

Hey, does anybody know how a Reddit post gets popular? A few days back a Reddit post about the idea was made. It quickly became #2 in the 'what's hot' list, but then dropped down as it was replaced by other ideas. I'm pretty sure a post gets popular if enough people post on it.

So um, if you don't mind, if you were to just post something here and get it up to being popular again that'd be just awesome. I mean Notch supposedly patrols Reddit regularly so this would be a great way to have it catch his eye.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... lar_boats/