GT Exclusive SMP Server (Temporary)

Everything not related to modding Minecraft goes here. Share pictures and movies of your building progress, share access to the best Minecraft servers and helpful hints and usage related to the game.

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Re: GT Exclusive SMP Server (Temporary)

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

ecko_66 wrote:I vote that MODS setup city boundary where, within that city, architecture must be somewhat uniform. The mods could make a sample building and walkway using that architecture. I also vote that you cannot build a certain distance from the city boundaries i.e. 500 blocks away, and so there are distinguished city from the wilderness.
I love this idea, to an extent. Just the conformity part.
Last edited by Fluffy_the_ic on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:
ecko_66 wrote:I vote that MODS setup city boundary where, within that city, architecture must be somewhat uniform. The mods could make a sample building and walkway using that architecture. I also vote that you cannot build a certain distance from the city boundaries i.e. 500 blocks away, and so there are distinguished city from the wilderness.
I love this idea.
I agree, to a degree. The fun of building a house can often be just in finding the right place. If the above suggestion means having predetermined flat lots, or that building in wilderness is permitted, I can't agree.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Grev wrote:
Fluffy_the_ic wrote:
I love this idea.
I agree, to a degree. The fun of building a house can often be just in finding the right place. If the above suggestion means having predetermined flat lots, or that building in wilderness is permitted, I can't agree.
And neither can I. While a structured city is fun and looks fantastic, I sort of enjoyed the mismatched, thrown-together style of Gametoastia. Bear with me while I get semi-emotional, but to me, it represents the spirit of these forums. A bunch of guys thrown together by a similar interest, but completely different ideas about what they want to do. And in the end, each mod (building) may not be TOTALLY unique (though there are a few that stand out, both good and bad), but the different qualities blend together to create a collaborative experience for everyone.

My philosophy has been and always will be: "let the players do what they want." It's why there aren't any rules on the server other than "respect thy neighbor." So, if a bunch of guys want to lay out lots at the spawn point, more power to them. It's a great idea and would look fantastic. You would do well to respect those boundaries because your fellow player has set them (and building right on top of the sidewalk, overshadowing another player's lot, or hogging too many lots so no one else can build would be considered griefing).
BUT, if someone haphazardly raises a building out in the middle of nowhere (or on the outskirts of those lots), I'm not going to stop them. I don't care how ugly, pointless, or "in the way of my future project" it is. They got there first, they put time and effort into building it.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
Grev wrote:
Fluffy_the_ic wrote:
I love this idea.
And neither can I. While a structured city is fun and looks fantastic, I sort of enjoyed the mismatched, thrown-together style of Gametoastia. Bear with me while I get semi-emotional, but to me, it represents the spirit of these forums. A bunch of guys thrown together by a similar interest, but completely different ideas about what they want to do. And in the end, each mod (building) may not be TOTALLY unique (though there are a few that stand out, both good and bad), but the different qualities blend together to create a collaborative experience for everyone.

My philosophy has been and always will be: "let the players do what they want." It's why there aren't any rules on the server other than "respect thy neighbor." So, if a bunch of guys want to lay out lots at the spawn point, more power to them. It's a great idea and would look fantastic. You would do well to respect those boundaries because your fellow player has set them (and building right on top of the sidewalk, overshadowing another player's lot, or hogging too many lots so no one else can build would be considered griefing).
BUT, if someone haphazardly raises a building out in the middle of nowhere (or on the outskirts of those lots), I'm not going to stop them. I don't care how ugly, pointless, or "in the way of my future project" it is. They got there first, they put time and effort into building it.
I agree.

I say that one can set a charter and make cities with specific rules, but that shouldn't be GAMETOASTIA at the spawn and at the core. Also, we've got to decide what Gametoastia is. Because as of now, it's both a city, and everything else, which is confusing...
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Grev wrote: I say that one can set a charter and make cities with specific rules, but that shouldn't be GAMETOASTIA at the spawn and at the core. Also, we've got to decide what Gametoastia is. Because as of now, it's both a city, and everything else, which is confusing...
Poor New York...
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:
Grev wrote: I say that one can set a charter and make cities with specific rules, but that shouldn't be GAMETOASTIA at the spawn and at the core. Also, we've got to decide what Gametoastia is. Because as of now, it's both a city, and everything else, which is confusing...
Poor New York...
It suffers from a severe identity crisis. And by the way, when people are going to NYC, they say "going to the city." When people are going to New York, they say, New York. So IF we call Gametoastia city the city, that's fine. :P

*represent*
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Grev wrote:
Twilight_Warrior wrote:
Poor New York...
It suffers from a severe identity crisis. And by the way, when people are going to NYC, they say "going to the city." When people are going to New York, they say, New York. So IF we call Gametoastia city the city, that's fine. :P

*represent*
I guess I've just heard "New York, New York" one too many times :P
Snork
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Minecraft
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Snork »

I think there should be one main city right around the spawn point, and then other than that nothing needs to be planned or organized like the dickens. When I say planned, I don't mean anything more complex than what was done to GTia. Just a little bit of structure to make it look nice. :)
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: None because BFII is not working

Post by General_Nate »

Hey, I had an idea.

What if you copied the player files inside the old world folder over to the new world? I think it would save our inventory, to make starting over easier for us. The side effect would be, in the new world, we would spawn in a random location, and maybe inside a block. To get around that, we could find a really high point to save at so we won't spawn underground, or you could get MCEdit, and move us all to spawn.

What do you think?
Snork
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Snork »

My vote is against that. I think we should all start over entirely from scratch! More challenging that way.
General_Nate
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: None because BFII is not working

Post by General_Nate »

Yeah, I can see that.

I'm fine ether way, just thought I'd put my idea out there in case anyone was for it.
RED51
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII

Post by RED51 »

But the Endermen... can we all at least keep pumpkins?!
ps2owner
Corporal
Corporal

Post by ps2owner »

Someone should make an Epic pic showing the server with maybe a water shader mod.
Right before we Wipe. You know, as like, good bye.
Snork
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Snork »

I really think we should try and make the 1.8 server as close to the normal game as possible; minimal giving, minimal teleports, etc. Making things out of materials you gathered yourself is generally a lot more impressive than not. I mean, jeez, I have 900+ diamonds and I think I gathered about 35 of them legitimately. It kind of makes the game too easy, know what I mean?
RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends

Post by RogueKnight »

Snork wrote:I really think we should try and make the 1.8 server as close to the normal game as possible; minimal giving, minimal teleports, etc. Making things out of materials you gathered yourself is generally a lot more impressive than not. I mean, jeez, I have 900+ diamonds and I think I gathered about 35 of them legitimately. It kind of makes the game too easy, know what I mean?
I agree, but there should also be an area of the map where the Mods can build our massive mansions.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Once 1.8 comes out, I'm going to request a plugin that will give everyone the creative mode, but only in a specified zone (so don't try flying out of it, you'll fall to your death :P). That way, we'll have a space designated for stuff like pixel art, giant cities, and mansions. But they won't be across the entire map
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Or you can just bring MV back and make sure to limit its functionality to yourself and make a creative world. I understand that you need to go low on the plugins, but I feel like I remember you saying that you have 4gb of RAM on your computer, which is what my computer has and I hosted a server til my ISP was all liek "NOEP!"
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:Or you can just bring MV back and make sure to limit its functionality to yourself and make a creative world. I understand that you need to go low on the plugins, but I feel like I remember you saying that you have 4gb of RAM on your computer, which is what my computer has and I hosted a server til my ISP was all liek "NOEP!"
And how many people were on this server at any given time?
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

We started lagging at about 6, but I had way more plugins than just MV. Stargates, factions, vegetation, even. It's not that big a deal, really. I think having areas for creativity is more convenient, but that having a new world would be more effective.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Okay, because currently, the server is taking up 2,096,568K of RAM (yay task manager). With the other background tasks I run (because it IS my laptop, I do need it for other things), it brings it up to 75% of my physical memory usage. With multiverse, I was clocking at 85%. And if I want to play Minecraft, myself, it adds about 15-25%, depending on how long I play and how many chunks I've loaded on the client side.

So while multiverse may have worked for you, that's great, but it's not really an option for my laptop.