GT Server/Commentaries

Everything not related to modding Minecraft goes here. Share pictures and movies of your building progress, share access to the best Minecraft servers and helpful hints and usage related to the game.

Moderator: Moderators

RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

GT Server/Commentaries

Post by RogueKnight »

I hear mention of a GT server a while back, but I don't know if anything's gone up yet. Is there any progress on this? Also, it would be cool if a few of you guys wanted to group up and do some commentaries, I've been inspired by Grev's videos and want to try a hand at them myself, but I find my Minecraft worlds quite boring...haha.
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Re: GT Server/Commentaries

Post by 501st_commander »

i don't think there is one yet. But, if there will be one (for classic) i would think it would be better for it to be ran in MCForge. Not because i am a dev for it, but because it has good features, and is very good for a server softeware. Plus, i can help with setting it up, or for that matter, any software for minecraft classic. But if anyone will make a SMP serever, i would recommend Bukkit, because of all the plugins it has.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

I think Bukkit would be a better one to use, personally. Nothing against you, but I've been playing on a server run on Bukkit for a couple weeks now, and it has some pretty epic plugins, such as stargates. Of course, someone with a powerful computer AND a good internet connection would need to host the server, simply because of how wrong some things can go. We could also have multiple worlds with Bukkit, which might be interesting.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

Still researching on whether win32 or *nix will be better hosting environment as right now MC eats ram like popcorn on our test server. I need to see what can be done to save ram and not use thousand of gigs of bandwidth keeping a persistent gt server. Feedback from current power mc server hosts on usage/ compression/lowcosts.
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

guru wrote:Still researching on whether win32 or *nix will be better hosting environment as right now MC eats ram like popcorn on our test server. I need to see what can be done to save ram and not use thousand of gigs of bandwidth keeping a persistent gt server. Feedback from current power mc server hosts on usage/ compression/lowcosts.
I would go win32

But, its going to be hard to find a server software that wont eat ram. As for the bandwith, i would say Bukkit would use about 512mb-1024mb per day with 4-5 users active all the time.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

Well as ill be paying for it the server will be limited to 2gigs ram and 10mbps port with 500gb banwidth per month if thats realistic but I'm thinking more then 10 users would be lagfest with that low of ram and only 2 core CPU. I'll test out both servers and see what works best
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Here is a list of serevr software on the minecraft wiki
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Custom_server_list

and forks of onther software
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/MCSharp/Forks

Out of those, i wouldn't use MCLawl or MCSharp, because all program issues you have to fix because they arn't updated anymore. Plus MyCraft, MCDerp or MCDizey Lava, because, they just stated, and arn't that good yet.

I would recommend, MCForge, Lua Craft, any of the iCraft stuff, or D3 for a classic server, and Bukkit for SMP (not on that list, not sure why).
Wonderboy
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: Making apples into applesauce
Games I'm Playing :: Age Of Empires II

Post by Wonderboy »

Is there still some talk of opening a server? I'm hoping there would be, seems fun to play on a GT exclusive server.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Considering I'm hooked on Minecraft for hours at a time, I, too, think time could be well spent in a GT server.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

It really should be done. And it should be a vanilla survival server. That'd be SUPER EPIC. I've heard Bukkit is good, and there's a server that I frequent that uses some other programs that work well, although their page isn't loading so I can't name the programs....

EDIT: I also want to look into Mumble, which is a voice chat program that's supposed to work over Minecraft, and would be nice if we were to do a SMP LP.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

I personally think we should have it be Survival on Easy or Normal, although some bukkit plugins should be used, like stuff that just adds small things or stuff that is used for server control, especially to watch for griefers.
SilvaDalek
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny and FIFA
xbox live or psn: TH3 R0LL3R

Post by SilvaDalek »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:I personally think we should have it be Survival on Easy or Normal, although some bukkit plugins should be used, like stuff that just adds small things or stuff that is used for server control, especially to watch for griefers.
I doubt we'd have problems with griefers on a GT only server
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

SilvaDalek wrote:
Fluffy_the_ic wrote:I personally think we should have it be Survival on Easy or Normal, although some bukkit plugins should be used, like stuff that just adds small things or stuff that is used for server control, especially to watch for griefers.
Yes, no problem with griefers on a GT server... No problemsssssss
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Grev wrote:
SilvaDalek wrote:
Yes, no problem with griefers on a GT server... No problemsssssss
lol Icwatudidthar.
Trust me on this, we will. On the other two servers I played on, tons of people we don't know managed to get on and blow up tons of stuff or kill it with fire. The server had to be reverted. Trust me, we'd need anti-griefing measures.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

How about a simple password system? We could hand it out only to the users who have been registered here at GT for a while and who have displayed a good behavior. If one of them happens to ruin other people's fun, ban him from the server, change the password and inform the rest of the players.

I'm all up for a GT server, I'm worried about the lag, though. Last time I played Team Fortress 2 with Nova Hawk, I was lagging a lot, I couldn't even move without getting stuck on walls and such.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

I guess I could probably make a password pretty easy, just would need to build a bedrock wall and a combo lock system with an iron door and it would have to be in the spawn area so that it would be indestructible.
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Grev »

Or we could have a whitelist, so people could join, but unless they're on the list they can't do anything.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Grev wrote:Or we could have a whitelist, so people could join, but unless they're on the list they can't do anything.
But I like combo locks... :P Nah, a whitelist would work, too. I forgot about that.