Food!

For discussion, WIPs, and downloads of the DMI (Dynamic Map Idea)

Moderator: Moderators

Sith Lord
User avatar
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:22 pm
Location: Building a railway to Coruscant

Food!

Postby trainmaster611 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:28 pm

Well I know people's buildings will have a lot of food oriented stuff and I believe adding some interactivity will make the map more interesting. And I was thinking of a way of making the food interactive without requiring too much work.

So here's my suggestion. Maybe we could have different food items: ice cream, pasta, coffee, etc that are basically energy powerups, and we would have the units' energy deplete overtime so they would have to go pickup some food (not too often though, otherwise it becomes a hassle).

Thoughts?

1st Lieutenant
User avatar
Posts: 432
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: In the cockpit of some vehicle...
Projects :: Mapping on occasion
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII + MW4 + SC4

Re: Food!

Postby sim-al2 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:33 pm

Wouldn't that preclude sprinting and rolling though?

Banned
User avatar
Posts: 4295
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:17 pm
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Re: Food!

Postby Nova Hawk » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:47 pm

Sounds interesting.

Some of the food/beverages could be: Pepsi, coke, pizza, stake, hamburgers.... That's all I got for now.

Jedi
User avatar
Posts: 1223
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:05 pm

Re: Food!

Postby Null_1138 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:54 pm

Water :wink: .

Sith Lord
User avatar
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:22 pm
Location: Building a railway to Coruscant

Re: Food!

Postby trainmaster611 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:17 pm

I guess you could customize it based on the eatery you are at (ie, a cafe would give you coffee, a seafood place would give you fish). I'm just not sure if there's a limit on powerups you can have.

And the way the energy thing would work is that your energy constantly dwindles even if you're not sprinting/jumping/rolling at the moment. When you would, the energy would briefly deplete slightly faster. Basically the same idea as Chewbacca's rocket.

Jedi Admin
User avatar
Posts: 7421
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:03 pm

Re: Food!

Postby Maveritchell » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:20 pm

sim-al2 wrote:Wouldn't that preclude sprinting and rolling though?

It would if done as originally suggested. Powerupitems, however, can do anything that a buffing weapon can do, and if one really wanted to they could simply be buffs (regen, defense, offense) with limited lengths.

That being said, I think that it would be best if lots and lot modeling came first - the ideas are fun to think up, but the most important thing seems to be props right now.

Sith Lord
User avatar
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:22 pm
Location: Building a railway to Coruscant

Re: Food!

Postby trainmaster611 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:53 pm

Maveritchell wrote:
sim-al2 wrote:Wouldn't that preclude sprinting and rolling though?

It would if done as originally suggested. Powerupitems, however, can do anything that a buffing weapon can do, and if one really wanted to they could simply be buffs (regen, defense, offense) with limited lengths.

That being said, I think that it would be best if lots and lot modeling came first - the ideas are fun to think up, but the most important thing seems to be props right now.



I won't dispute that second claim but wouldn't using buffs defeat the point since the lack of powerups means it will lack the actual 'food items'.

Jedi Admin
User avatar
Posts: 7421
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:03 pm

Re: Food!

Postby Maveritchell » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:22 pm

trainmaster611 wrote:but wouldn't using buffs defeat the point since the lack of powerups means it will lack the actual 'food items'.

Huh? Please explain, I don't catch your drift.

Sith Lord
User avatar
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:22 pm
Location: Building a railway to Coruscant

Re: Food!

Postby trainmaster611 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:43 pm

Maveritchell wrote:
trainmaster611 wrote:but wouldn't using buffs defeat the point since the lack of powerups means it will lack the actual 'food items'.

Huh? Please explain, I don't catch your drift.


In other words, an ice cream counter would dispense a energy powerup, except a small ice cream cone mesh would replace the normal yellow container. With a buff, you wouln't have the novelty of dispensing food items.

Jedi Admin
User avatar
Posts: 7421
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:03 pm

Re: Food!

Postby Maveritchell » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:06 pm

trainmaster611 wrote:
Maveritchell wrote:
trainmaster611 wrote:but wouldn't using buffs defeat the point since the lack of powerups means it will lack the actual 'food items'.

Huh? Please explain, I don't catch your drift.


In other words, an ice cream counter would dispense a energy powerup, except a small ice cream cone mesh would replace the normal yellow container. With a buff, you wouln't have the novelty of dispensing food items.


...right. Which is why we're talking about powerupitems. Not buffs. Like I said, they can do all the same things.

Corporal
User avatar
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:40 am
Location: , Location, Location, Location

Re: Food!

Postby da_great_ghost » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:14 pm

Actually I did this a few weeks ago in a map I'm working on and it worked out pretty well. I used buffs(red and green canisters) as Mav suggested disguised as food and drink. Seeing as this wouldn't require any scripting or more ZE objects I'm all for it.

Lieutenant General
User avatar
Posts: 690
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:01 pm
Location: 127.0.0.1
Projects :: None because BFII is not working
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Food!

Postby General_Nate » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:18 pm

I think this is a good idea, too. It will bump up the level of 'role playing'.

Return to The Dynamic Project

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest