Upper City?

For discussion, WIPs, and downloads of the DMI (Dynamic Map Idea)

Moderator: Moderators

Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Re: Upper City?

Post by Dohnutt »

trainmaster611 wrote:And I like frag's idea, can I make an elevated train for moving around the upper levels? :D
Or maybe just some sort of trolley? Personally, I like that idea way better for the upper city.

Also, Empy and I's building won't be up high. We'll be using someone else's elevator or a flyer to get up.
obiboba3po
2008 Most Technically Challenging Avatar
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by obiboba3po »

i like the elevated train. like a monorail. ive always wanted to see one of those in bf2 lol.
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by RepSharpshooter »

Maveritchell wrote:I may have been mistaken about the height of my building. I underestimated it and by my approximation it stands at about 90-100 meters. However, its top level is about the height of that platform you're showing in the picture in the first post (assuming that building is the same as the building in the downloadable DMI world, heightwise). So what's the deal?
I scaled up that building, that's why. 175 meters seemed to allow ample room below, and was a common height between all of the tall buildings that were in existence.
Crazy_Ewok
2008 Best Amateur Avatar
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Crazy_Ewok »

I started modeling an extension to my house and it's going well, but how do I tell how tall it is in XSI.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Why not make a flyer parking Garage?
EDIT: *coughdibscough*
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Crazy_Ewok wrote:...how do I tell how tall it is in XSI.
1 grid square == 1 meter.
wazmol
High General
High General
Projects :: Thinking...
Games I'm Playing :: Black Ops

Post by wazmol »

so will this upper level cover the whole city?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:Why not make a flyer parking Garage?
What do you think my starport is? :) Actually, in further extension it's going to add at least one more, larger hangar. There should be plenty of places to land/take off from. (Especially since the map'll have no landingregions and you can pretty much land on anything. :P)
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

If the elevators are only going from the ground level to the air level and not going to other places in the building, then you don't want to use a real elevator. Elevators have a lot more problems when compared to teleporters. Instead of the elevator, you should fake it with teleporters.

Have the person enter a room, close the doors on both levels, teleport him to the ground/air level room, then re-open both doors. You can even add in a timer delay before/after teleporting to make it seem more like an elevator. It will feel like an elevator, but without all of an elevator's problems.
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

[RDH]Zerted wrote:If the elevators are only going from the ground level to the air level and not going to other places in the building, then you don't want to use a real elevator. Elevators have a lot more problems when compared to teleporters. Instead of the elevator, you should fake it with teleporters.

Have the person enter a room, close the doors on both levels, teleport him to the ground/air level room, then re-open both doors. You can even add in a timer delay before/after teleporting to make it seem more like an elevator. It will feel like an elevator, but without all of an elevator's problems.
Well, I dunno if teleporters are actually in Star Wars, so maybe that's why you say fake it, but other than that, I don't see any reason to fake it. Though your idea sounds pretty sweet :D
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Dohnutt wrote:Well, I dunno if teleporters are actually in Star Wars, so maybe that's why you say fake it, but other than that, I don't see any reason to fake it. Though your idea sounds pretty sweet :D
It's not about them being "transporters" a la Star Trek. It's solely a functional thing. As long as it's a single-direction elevator, you can create the exact same effect as traveling up an elevator shaft using teleporters (as long as the doors close no one'll notice), without having to worry about collision issues, or moving too fast, or "bouncing" on the way down. (For example, I did this in Space Endor with the tram that went from one side of the ship to another. Something like that is virtually indistinguishable from an elevator.)
Blade
Captain
Captain

Post by Blade »

Hm, this isn't a technical thing at all, just one thing I hate about Bf2's "teleporters." Is there a way to either A: Do something in ZE, or B: Do something in the scripting so that the node places you facing the same direction that you did when you entered the teleport region? As I said, it's no big deal to me, just I think it would be a lot more realistic if you don't notice "Hey! I just spun 180 degrees from where I was! This elevator's Haunted! :shock:"

:P
Caleb1117
2008 Most Original Avatar

Post by Caleb1117 »

Blade wrote:Hm, this isn't a technical thing at all, just one thing I hate about Bf2's "teleporters." Is there a way to either A: Do something in ZE, or B: Do something in the scripting so that the node places you facing the same direction that you did when you entered the teleport region? As I said, it's no big deal to me, just I think it would be a lot more realistic if you don't notice "Hey! I just spun 180 degrees from where I was! This elevator's Haunted! :shock:"

The nodes can be rotated so you face the same way.
Blade
Captain
Captain

Post by Blade »

Caleb1117 wrote:
Blade wrote:Hm, this isn't a technical thing at all, just one thing I hate about Bf2's "teleporters." Is there a way to either A: Do something in ZE, or B: Do something in the scripting so that the node places you facing the same direction that you did when you entered the teleport region? As I said, it's no big deal to me, just I think it would be a lot more realistic if you don't notice "Hey! I just spun 180 degrees from where I was! This elevator's Haunted! :shock:"

The nodes can be rotated so you face the same way.
I know that :D. But what I'm saying is that, not everyone is going to go in the same way. But it was more of a wish, not at all necessity.
Frisbeetarian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Frisbeetarian »

If everyone uses 2 regions for their teleporters, you're going to run out of regions pretty fast.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

Frisbeetarian wrote:If everyone uses 2 regions for their teleporters, you're going to run out of regions pretty fast.
Eh... 35 elevators. :P

No, I think there should be only elevators in central popular buildings. Well, at least teleport elevators. In the other ones, I don't think manual ones would be that bad.

Also, I think it would be cool if, like in Coruscant Streets, there are lots of flashing signs and billboards hanging on buildings, hanging from platforms, etc. Hey, would it be possible to have a moving object that moved around the city that carried a huge billboard with a scrolling texture on it? That would be fun.
Dohnutt
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Dohnutt »

I know that . But what I'm saying is that, not everyone is going to go in the same way. But it was more of a wish, not at all necessity.
But if you made walls around the teleporter, people could only go in one way.
Fingerfood wrote:Also, I think it would be cool if, like in Coruscant Streets, there are lots of flashing signs and billboards hanging on buildings, hanging from platforms, etc. Hey, would it be possible to have a moving object that moved around the city that carried a huge billboard with a scrolling texture on it? That would be fun.
Like a blimp!
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Maveritchell wrote:
Fluffy_the_ic wrote:Why not make a flyer parking Garage?
What do you think my starport is? :) Actually, in further extension it's going to add at least one more, larger hangar. There should be plenty of places to land/take off from. (Especially since the map'll have no landingregions and you can pretty much land on anything. :P)
Well, yours struck me as Mav's Stuff only. My building is my stuff only on the ground level, but the top level, very high up, I might add, is just for anybody's stuff to be parked only.Then there's a tall brick cylinder and three transparent rooms for showcasing.
PsYcH0_]-[aMsT3r
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by PsYcH0_]-[aMsT3r »

Teleporters are possible to do. TheITfactor did it in The Pwnfest which rocked. the only thing is with the teleporter as elevator is that u face a different way after teleporting and you about 0.01th of a second were the screen goes white.
Aman/Pinguin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Inactive

Post by Aman/Pinguin »

PsYcH0_]-[aMsT3r wrote:Teleporters are possible to do.
ORLY?
PsYcH0_]-[aMsT3r wrote:the only thing is with the teleporter as elevator is that u face a different way after teleporting and you about 0.01th of a second were the screen goes white.
That's what we (they) are talking about the whole time. ô.o