The Old DMI Plan

For discussion, WIPs, and downloads of the DMI (Dynamic Map Idea)

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Re: The DMI Plan

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

I mean my maps work fine, it's just... Empty. I can only change the terrain height.
MercuryNoodles
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Space - Boarding Action
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by MercuryNoodles »

Speaking of dropping out, I'm having some trouble with XSI. I don't want to drop my lot, but I definitely need to learn the more advanced features soon, since it seems some don't work the way I thought they would. Someone needs to pound it into my mind that XSI is not Lightwave 6. :P I at least want an empty interior in before I hand over the model.
Typoe99
Private

Post by Typoe99 »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:I mean my maps work fine, it's just... Empty. I can only change the terrain height.
Do u have all your objects ODF files, Animation files, Mesh files and BMP files in the worlds MSH and ODF folders
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Yes. I'm not going to drop out, but I may want domeone to set my lot up for me. If someone wants to, I could whip up a layout and PM it to them.
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

Post by SBF_Dann_Boeing »

Some people are going to go overboard. Some things will be cut. This is why there's a target maximum for each lot so that too much doesn't get put in.
Ok, that's good.
However, object limit should be the only thing that is a real hindrance. "Special scripting" has no effect on memory pool amounts, unless I'm misinferring what you're saying. I've written out a .lua more than 20 times the size of a normal .lua, and it doesn't incur any memory/performance issues.
Yes, in this case, specifically an object overload would be the most potentially problematic issue. However, everything does add up. Lots of scripting does add to the ListPool, which is the total amount of script/content I believe. LUA scripting doesn't add a lot though, you can't overload it only by having a complex LUA. However, if you have a large amount of objects (specifically objects with lots of script) or sides/units/weapons with lots of script, in addition to a large LUA script, you can still overload the overall ListPool, which is much harder to fix than just an object overload, because it often cannot just be solved by deleting objects.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

SBF_Dann_Boeing wrote:Yes, in this case, specifically an object overload would be the most potentially problematic issue. However, everything does add up. Lots of scripting does add to the ListPool, which is the total amount of script/content I believe. LUA scripting doesn't add a lot though, you can't overload it only by having a complex LUA. However, if you have a large amount of objects (specifically objects with lots of script) or sides/units/weapons with lots of script, in addition to a large LUA script, you can still overload the overall ListPool, which is much harder to fix than just an object overload, because it often cannot just be solved by deleting objects.
I see, this is a terminology thing. You're just talking about complex objects, like command posts. (I take "scripting" to only refer to .lua.) That's not something that should have to be worried about here, nor should detailed units. In terms of the amount of stuff going on in this map - with the notable exception of objects - I know I had more going on in my RPG map, and I didn't have any crashing issues. I had more than 10 command posts, many interactive objects, the max amount of teams - really, object count should be the only concern. (Especially since individual contributors to this shouldn't have to worry about adding anything more complex than prop models.)
Culvar
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by Culvar »

Sorry if I missed something ,but if you restrict certain things and classes to a username(covered up with the GSID name) can't someone open up the LVL files of the map to look for the regular game name that is used as a password? :runaway:
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by RepSharpshooter »

To be blunt, most "noobs" would not know how to do that. If someone is smart enough to know which .lvl file to open, and what part to look for, they're usually going to be mature enough to not do such a thing. Although nothing is 100% certain. It may happen, but oh well, they'll just get a big ol' kick from the admin.
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

What exactly did you have in mind for weapons for this? I'd be willing to help design those.
Super_Clone
High General
High General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Super_Clone »

mabey a scaled down less destrictive fist rifle from Dann and maybe a scaled down less destrictive orbital strike attack?
:maulsaber: :plokoon: :vader2: :jango:
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

Super_Clone wrote:
SBF_Dann_Boeing wrote:What exactly did you have in mind for weapons for this? I'd be willing to help design those.
mabey a scaled down less destrictive fist rifle from Dann and maybe a scaled down less destrictive orbital strike attack?
Rofl, I know how to make perfectly normal and not-overly-destructive weapons too. :P
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Dann by that did you mean model?
But my plan is making a maze, it goes really igh up to the upper city, and underground for a garage that houses my personal speeder.
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

well i could easily whip up some creative weapon odfs/effects, i don't model. Unless weapon odf creation is too simple to need extra help with :P
YouJediJunkie
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by YouJediJunkie »

Allright, I finally got a pretty cool idea!

Vader's appartment - Don't you think that the ol' fella had his own place? Of course he had! The place will have a kitchen, a TV room, a toy room (Yes, Vader is a child by heart), a bed room, a bath room and some other stuff I haven't planned out yet. It will have a humour touch, everything in Vader style.

What do you guys think about my idea? :maulsaber:
Last edited by YouJediJunkie on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Here's a proposal in case we have empty lots: We need a power plant. I'm guessing we're not all solar powered :P
Blade
Captain
Captain

Post by Blade »

Hidden/Spoiler:
That's all I have to say to that, Tean' :lol:.

EDIT: Now... that's all I have to say to that...
Typoe99
Private

Post by Typoe99 »

YouJediJunkie wrote:Allright, I finally got a pretty cool idea!

Vader's appartment - Don't you think that the ol' fella had his own place? Of course he had! The place will have a kitchen, a TV room, a toy room (Yes, Vader is a child by heart), a bed room, a bath room and some other stuff I haven't planned out yet. It will have a humour touch, everything in Vader style.

What do you guys think about my idea? :maulsaber:

That would be awesome Im a huge Vader Fan. but i dont really think he used the bathroom lol
Silas
Captain
Captain

Post by Silas »

I likes the idea for a vader-themed house/apartment. Maybe make a statue of him through XSI...and/or have a Vader bot walking around...

(that's an interesting question. does Vader ever need the bathroom? hmmm....)

and Tean, i agree. It would help the city be more realistic if we have a power plant to run everything, as in normal cities. I votes yes
SlyCoopersButt
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal

Post by SlyCoopersButt »

I reccomend a capitol ship shield generator for a power core or something like that. Just need something important to link it to. Maybe certain important buildings could have shielding from it just for visual entertainment when any shots hit it.
CaptainOrdo
Private Second Class

Post by CaptainOrdo »

or maybe the hoth generator and the cap ship shield generator in a building

also if there are any lots left....(no im not asking) make utility buildings or ambiance buildings like a hospital, gas station( for effect to make it an actual "city") an airport that nobody needs to use, a port for boat props or anything that would look nice (provided there isnt the limit for such things) and road ways that lead to the end of the map. and the =LH= HQ

also i think its a little late for this but ppl could make lakefront "Summer homes" for the little body of water