The Old DMI Plan

For discussion, WIPs, and downloads of the DMI (Dynamic Map Idea)

Moderator: Moderators

Aman/Pinguin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Inactive

Re: The DMI Plan

Post by Aman/Pinguin »

We have the repair depot for that.
SlyCoopersButt
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by SlyCoopersButt »

I'm worried about not being able to repair destructable stationary objects. I like that repair shop idea. Perhaps vehicles could be set so fusion cutters don't repair them so only the shop works? Or maybe so little that the shop is a much better option.
Aman/Pinguin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Aman/Pinguin »

Aman/Pinguin wrote:Or just setting it to 0.... 0 = Unlimited
Okaay... That doesn't work...now I can kill every building with one hit lol I will use the previous posted way...
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

SlyCoopersButt wrote:I'm worried about not being able to repair destructable stationary objects. I like that repair shop idea. Perhaps vehicles could be set so fusion cutters don't repair them so only the shop works? Or maybe so little that the shop is a much better option.
You can make fusion cutters only repair buildings. They've got a different healthtype by default.
Aman/Pinguin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Aman/Pinguin »

Uhm...I noticed you also need to add an full invisible icon to that building ODF's, because otherwise you will see them all on your minimap...
Blade
Captain
Captain

Post by Blade »

Question! I'm not sure if this is where I should post this or not, but are we aloud to use water on our lots? I'd only be using like... 2 squares, and I wouldn't change anything in the texture or such, if we can, great! if we can't... I can think of something else :wink:.
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by RepSharpshooter »

aloud, allowed

Anyways, you cannot use water as there is no way to merge changes to water using layers. I believe water is one central file that cannot be differentiated.
Blade
Captain
Captain

Post by Blade »

Eh, ok, I guess I'll turn my swimming pool into an... Ice skating rink :P. Thanks anyways.
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

Post by SBF_Dann_Boeing »

Reading through this, I can hardly believe you would be able to fit all those things into one map environment. Having the Jedi Temple alone would be near the maximum amount of objects/content for one map, especially with all the special scripting, which also adds to the listpool. But the idea also having a bigger cantina, a serious battle arena, and outskirts as well is almost outrageous, unless you arn't going to make it that detailed.

The only way that I can see this as possible is have each area (like the jedi temple) as 1 or 2 large, newly-designed, fully-detailed, modeled objects, much like how I think JKA was designed (which allowed for bigger, more detailed,and more complex indoor environments), and then adding in smaller objects as detail. Rather than building it the the traditional way of course using tons of shipped objects to form the environment, which would quickly spell doom for this project.

Another way is to have it all as one map, but have each area available in a different mode, so for each mode, the map uses different layer(s). However, that way, not all of it would be accessible at once.

The amount of content that SWBFII is able to handle at once is very small compared to other games. It gets overloaded extremely easily, and once it does, it often cannot be repaired by returning it to the state it was in before it overloaded, and a lot of work can be lost that way.

However, SWBFII desperately needs a mod like this, and if you can pull this off, this will be the most complex thing that has ever been made for the game.
Typoe99
Private

Post by Typoe99 »

Thank you Mr. Voice of Doom :P
Blade
Captain
Captain

Post by Blade »

SBF_Dann_Boeing wrote:The only way that I can see this as possible is have each area (like the jedi temple) as 1 or 2 large, newly-designed, fully-detailed, modeled objects, much like how I think JKA was designed (which allowed for bigger, more detailed,and more complex indoor environments), and then adding in smaller objects as detail. Rather than building it the the traditional way of course using tons of shipped objects to form the environment, which would quickly spell doom for this project.
We had considered doing that, but it came up with one major problem (at least the only one I can think of off the top of my head :P). I don't know how much you modeling, but as Battlefront's Polygon limit is really terribly low (a building can have I think... 3000 Polygons, comparing this to say, Master Chief, whose helmet alone has more than that). So, having entire Cities made out of a single model, while a good idea, is really not very plausible, as everything would have to be incredibly low detailed.

Off-Topic: Anyone else think that the message that tells you that there's a new post is horribly annoying. I guess it can keep us from putting a foot in our proverbial mouths, sometimes... but is it really necessary?
Last edited by Blade on Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typoe99
Private

Post by Typoe99 »

Blade wrote:
SBF_Dann_Boeing wrote:The only way that I can see this as possible is have each area (like the jedi temple) as 1 or 2 large, newly-designed, fully-detailed, modeled objects, much like how I think JKA was designed (which allowed for bigger, more detailed,and more complex indoor environments), and then adding in smaller objects as detail. Rather than building it the the traditional way of course using tons of shipped objects to form the environment, which would quickly spell doom for this project.
We had considered doing that, but it came up with one major problem (at least the only one I can think of off the top of my head :P). I don't know how much you model, but as Battlefront's Polygon limit is really terribly low (a building can have I think... 3000 Polygons, comparing this to say, Master Chief, whose helmet alone has more than that). So, having entire Cities made out of a single model, while a good idea, is really not very plausible, as everything would have to be incredibly low detailed.

Off-Topic: Anyone else think that the message that tells you that there's a new post is horribly annoying. I guess it can keep us from putting a foot in our proverbial mouths, sometimes... but is it really necessary?

Try unsubsribing from the topic :P :P
SBF_Dann_Boeing
Groove Walrus
Groove Walrus

Post by SBF_Dann_Boeing »

Blade wrote:We had considered doing that, but it came up with one major problem (at least the only one I can think of off the top of my head :P). I don't know how much you model, but as Battlefront's Polygon limit is really terribly low (a building can have I think... 3000 Polygons, comparing this to say, Master Chief, whose helmet alone has more than that). So, having entire Cities made out of a single model, while a good idea, is really not very plausible, as everything would have to be incredibly low detailed.
Ah... Battlefront was more limited than i thought :roll:

Well...I'm not exactly sure how you will be able to pull this off. I'm not trying to sound like the "Voice of Doom" by the way, but I've had a lot of trouble with overloading the game, and it really doesn't take much to set it off. Some shipped maps themselves are near the limit.
Blade
Captain
Captain

Post by Blade »

Oh, also, Rep is encouraging people to make their lot/buildings one object, which is a lot less drastic.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Reading through this, I can hardly believe you would be able to fit all those things into one map environment. Having the Jedi Temple alone would be near the maximum amount of objects/content for one map, especially with all the special scripting, which also adds to the listpool. But the idea also having a bigger cantina, a serious battle arena, and outskirts as well is almost outrageous, unless you arn't going to make it that detailed.
Some people are going to go overboard. Some things will be cut. This is why there's a target maximum for each lot so that too much doesn't get put in.

However, object limit should be the only thing that is a real hindrance. "Special scripting" has no effect on memory pool amounts, unless I'm misinferring what you're saying. I've written out a .lua more than 20 times the size of a normal .lua, and it doesn't incur any memory/performance issues.
I don't know how much you modeling, but as Battlefront's Polygon limit is really terribly low (a building can have I think... 3000 Polygons, comparing this to say, Master Chief, whose helmet alone has more than that). So, having entire Cities made out of a single model, while a good idea, is really not very plausible, as everything would have to be incredibly low detailed.
This isn't quite right, but I see where you might get that impression. Rep said not to push more than 5K-6K tris to work well with exporter (although I've gotten it up to 6.6 without an issue), but that's an exporter limitation, not an engine limitation. The art_guide doc also recommends 3K polies as the upper end of the range for buildings, but the engine will definitely support more.
MercuryNoodles
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Space - Boarding Action

Post by MercuryNoodles »

Agreed, on poly counts. Generally, limiting the poly count is not so much the result of an engine limitation, but a consideration based on hardware capability. We can add detail, but it's at the cost of framerate, as always. The art guide was made when my X800 Pro was a decent card, so don't look at it as a hard limit on what we should do presently. It's there to give you an idea, so you don't assume you can make a map full of 100,000+ poly models and expect everything to run fine.

Modeling objects into the building itself is alright, so long as you don't go overboard with it. Really, we don't need to see a full kitchen complete with a plate of highly detailed Chunky Chips Ahoy! Speaking of which.. XD

Also, which version of the Master Chief is that, the Halo 3 one? (I find it hard to believe, but I'll bite for now..) If so, that would explain it right there. The model detail is just going up because the newer games are being made to take advantage of the latest hardware capabilities. If you look at the models in the first game, they're not that incredibly detailed.
Blade
Captain
Captain

Post by Blade »

Alright, that comment about Master Chief's helmet wasn't accurate :oops: (I was more just trying to give a vague comparison of Battlefront to other games of the same approximate time period). I was basically trying to say that as much as it isn't plausible to have every single detail be it's own object, it's equally implausible (is that right?) to have the entire city be a single object.
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

halo is just the result of very good, efficient modeling, and TONS of bump mapping:

oh and a way better renderer.

Anyways, I think as long as everyone uses around 25 objects per lot, we should be fine. There will be no doubt people that don't finish, which will leave more room in the listpool.
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Yeah, my objects don't want to show up ingame... Sniff...
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

RepSharpshooter wrote:
To make your layer work ingame:
  1. Open ZE, load dmi.wld
  2. Click the Game Modes: CONFIGURE button. (by the layer thing)
  3. Under common layers, REMOVE YOUR LAYER THAT YOU CREATED. (don't worry, this doesn't delete it)
  4. Click on ELI under mode name.
  5. Under "Layers Used" click "add"
  6. Select the layer that you created, ex. DMI_Karnage
  7. Click the update REQ and Mode REQ button.
  8. Save world.