Dynamic Map Idea (all lots open for taking)

For discussion, WIPs, and downloads of the DMI (Dynamic Map Idea)

Moderator: Moderators

Does this need a "hosted mod" forum?

Yes
84%
No
16%

Total votes: 19
trainmaster611
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Dynamic Map Idea (all lots open for taking)

Post by trainmaster611 »

Pushing objects can't be done with the SWBF2 engine. What you could do however is to spawn a box as a unit. I'm not sure if its as easy as substituting in the msh though.
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by RepSharpshooter »

That sounds cool, I'm not sure if we can do anything with force powers, but perhaps an obstacle course to measure agility would be practical.

Some more write-ups:
Hidden/Spoiler:
General

Sides

General Idea
The two sides will be seamless, as they would comprise of the same types of units. There will be no clear distinction of teams. Every unit will have weapons

Leveling Up
Within each side, there will be a hierarchical structure of units, meaning that the class selection will range from a common person to a Jedi. However, not all the units are available from the start. The “better” units such as the Jedi will be unlockable through points. This makes a kind of “leveling up” system, pending that the world will have sources of points for doing positive things.

There are 18 total units to select from if both teams are put together. A sample setup would be if there were 4 different base classes, and each had 4 levels. This would leave 2 classes for Jedi Knight and Jedi Master. Another would be to have 3 base classes and 5 levels, which allows for 2 different varieties of Jedi Knights, and 1 Jedi Master. It ultimately depends on how many levels we need versus how many base classes we need.

Jedi
It seems the jedi are taking the police role. Perhaps we could have a "Jedi master" class that is validated to only certain people. The regular Jedi Knights would be still subject to the no kill rule. Now as to how to validate the Jedi Master, we could just use one of the techniques that I described, it is as follows:

In the lua is a list of "approved" people. When a player spawns, his lua checks itself if it is on the approved list. This is done through the getProfileName call or something like that. If the player's profile does not match one on the list, he kills himself, which the server would allow. Now you may ask, "well how do we keep someone from stealing someone else's identity?" The answer is that getProfileName does not get the GameSpy ID of the user. It gets the regular profile name (which IS NOT displayed online if you have a GSID). This means one could use the profile name as a "password" which nobody would know.

This way, a person could not just spam points to level up to a Jedi and instantly be impervious to the justice system. The Jedi Master’s would be the only people impervious, which would be securely validated to responsible people.

The City

Logistics

Restricting Weapon Use
The city region would punish the killing of human players (except for the battle arena, if duel mode is going to be used). If a player kills a human within the city region, he will be punished (kicked/booted/banned), and the victim will be force spawned.

Forcefield/Barrier
We may see the need for some sort of city wall/barrier. The function of this barrier would be to keep people from shooting into the city, and to keep wild animals out.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

We could also do random models in order to provide some variety. Here's some pseudocode to demonstrate.

Code: Select all

OnCharacterSpawn()

randomNumber = rand() * 5 
newlySpawnedGuy = GetEntityMatrix([GET THE NEWLY SPAWNED CHARACTER])

SetProperty(newlySpawnedGuy, "GeometryName" "Model[randomNumber]")
Now that may not be even possible to capture a specific instance of someone spawning, but if it was, you could basically run that array code and have it assign a new playermodel per spawning instance. These new player models without odfs would have to be put into the req manually since they aren't attached to an odf, but if the script works, the rest would too.
tsurugi13
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by tsurugi13 »

RepSharpshooter wrote:Yeah textures are kinda difficult to get working. Make sure you delete any redundant materials/material libraries that aren't being used. Also, make sure you follow the cluster rules.

The jedi temple is going to be pretty big.

By the way, does anyone have any more ideas for the jedi temple besides a sparring arena?
An elevator? :shock: I think TheITfactor has one made.
Caleb1117
2008 Most Original Avatar

Post by Caleb1117 »

tsurugi13 wrote:
RepSharpshooter wrote:Yeah textures are kinda difficult to get working. Make sure you delete any redundant materials/material libraries that aren't being used. Also, make sure you follow the cluster rules.

By the way, does anyone have any more ideas for the jedi temple besides a sparring arena?
Lol, yea not to worry, there will be an elevator.
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler

Post by The_Emperor »

Caleb1117 wrote: By the way, does anyone have any more ideas for the jedi temple besides a sparring arena?
Err, maybe some room with training droids to fight against or something?
Aman/Pinguin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Inactive

Post by Aman/Pinguin »

Caleb1117 wrote:
tsurugi13 wrote:

Lol, yea not to worry, there will be an elevator.
Oh man, that will take forever to arrive at the top! :shock: You can't animate the elevator to fast, because then you fall through it... :?
Blade
Captain
Captain

Post by Blade »

The Person Above Me wrote:Oh man, that will take forever to arrive at the top! :shock: You can't animate the elevator to fast, because then you fall through it... :?
I thought that if you gradually sped the elevator up, that you wouldn't fall through? I always thought it was just the initial hit that made you not connect to it.
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

The elevator could be a vehicle and you could be in it. It could then be animated to move. Or, it may even be pilotable, but I'll try the anims first.
The_Emperor wrote:Err, maybe some room with training droids to fight against or something?
That'll do, perhaps even some IG-88's or other droids weilding battle staffs that do not do any damage, but knock you down. Perhaps a magnaguard.

Also, I had the idea for some sort of agility course that encorporates moving obstacles.

A note for jedi, they must have combo's like the emperor where their sabers are not out when they're just walking around, I believe TurnOffLightsaber(); goes in the idle section. That way, jedi won't be posed for battle when they're shopping for hats...
Teancum wrote:We could also do random models in order to provide some variety. Here's some pseudocode to demonstrate.

OnCharacterSpawn()

Now that may not be even possible to capture a specific instance of someone spawning, but if it was, you could basically run that array code and have it assign a new playermodel per spawning instance. These new player models without odfs would have to be put into the req manually since they aren't attached to an odf, but if the script works, the rest would too.
I hope that works, it would add some variety to the gameplay.
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

Teancum wrote:...Here's some pseudocode to demonstrate.

OnCharacterSpawn()
Now that may not be even possible to capture a specific instance of someone spawning, but if it was...
I've done it before and it works fine, but you use GetCharacterUnit(). Also, unless the 'random number generator' isn't random, if two players took a screenshot of the same ingame area, the players in it would all look different. Hmm, I think we could use the level's running time for the random number. I think that is consistant across all players.
theITfactor
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: The Pwnfest and Games Complex
Games I'm Playing :: SWTOR
xbox live or psn: You and I Know

Post by theITfactor »

I would like lot O1 or F4 please :wink:
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

The_Emperor wrote:Err, maybe some room with training droids to fight against or something?
*coughPortalTurretscough* :P

*sighs* still haven't done much with my lot. I think I'll wait for the prefabs to be released though.
FragMe!
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Not sure keep changing my mind.
Games I'm Playing :: F1 and SWBF

Post by FragMe! »

Here is a first look at FragMe!'s Vehicle Emporium.
Note the buggy down in front.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

Just a quick question about the Jedi Temple, couldn't you make some blocks as locals and ya move 'em by force pushing them? Just a thought. But, my building isn't working too well. In the mungelog, it says it had 1: No collision geometry, and 2: No poly count. Still.
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Prefab Pack Release

Note: if you modify any of these objects in any way, you MUST rename the msh, rename the tga, hex edit the msh to reference the renamed tga and rename the odf. Or else we'd paste over each other's stuff. If you fail to follow this direction, I will simply disregard the stuff you give me (as it would compromise the entire level).

FragMe! wrote:Here is a first look at FragMe!'s Vehicle Emporium.
Note the buggy down in front.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Looks great fragme! Can't wait to use it.

@Fluffy_the_ic you're not putting everything under a null, you're not middle clicking on it, or you're not checking the export selection only box. (or all three if you really don't follow directions :P ) Train had the exact same problem, caused by not following directions.

Fun fun fun till daddy takes the pod racer away:
I'm sure thankful for mshex, or else this would still be sittin on my hardrive :D
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

I'm using a full exporter, not mshex, or do you still need to do the null stuff with a full one? But would the null take away the collision geometry? My two other models I'm testing don't have that problem.
Fingerfood
Sith
Sith

Post by Fingerfood »

RepSharpshooter wrote:or else this would still be sittin on my hardrive :D
:|
Isn't it still?

Anyway, thanks for releasing that pack. Now I can get down to business. Also, may I ask, do the models randomly disappear in ZE like the untextured ones?
Caleb1117
2008 Most Original Avatar

Post by Caleb1117 »

My KotOR Personal Swoop, meshex'ed.

I let Rep fool about with my .xsi file, and he found my problem, to many texture projections.
Still having trouble getting the seating null to be positioned right, at the moment, the driver floats above the vehicle. :shock:
FragMe!
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Not sure keep changing my mind.
Games I'm Playing :: F1 and SWBF

Post by FragMe! »

Caleb
You may find the null for the rider might have to go very near the dummyroot null that was where it was positioned for the Durge Swoop. I believe the rider/driver animations are offset from that point.
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

@Fingerfood they only disappear because their bounding boxes are too small.

@caleb, it's just a bit off

I think it's a matter of the handle bar positioning rather than the hp_active. Note you can't rotate nulls with mshex, unless you can tell me how to convert euler angles into a quaternion rotation representation.

Edit, this is a must, a repair depot: