Dynamic Map Idea (all lots open for taking)

For discussion, WIPs, and downloads of the DMI (Dynamic Map Idea)

Moderator: Moderators

Does this need a "hosted mod" forum?

Yes
84%
No
16%

Total votes: 19
Caleb1117
2008 Most Original Avatar
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Dynamic Map Idea (all lots open for taking)

Post by Caleb1117 »

Well that's what the prefabs are for, and let me tall ya, they look goooood.

Heres some more pics.

Ah yes, receptionist, please make me a copy of the DMI plan by Repsharpshooter please.

... Are you paying attention?

Door animation detail

RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by RepSharpshooter »

Lol looks nice! Just keeps gettin better. I can't wait until all of our layers come together.

EDIT:

The DMI Plan (WIP)

Contains everything from sides to the outskirts. Feel free to add things to it, just post the additions here. I haven't covered everything, but I think I did the important parts.
tsurugi13
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by tsurugi13 »

RepSharpshooter wrote:You can use textures, I don't know why you wouldn't....

You must just be forgetting something in these procedures:
Hidden/Spoiler:
[quote="RepSharpshooter"]This is a very important procedure not mentioned:

[list=1]
[*]Open ZE, load dmi.wld
[*]Click the Game Modes: CONFIGURE button. (by the layer thing)
[*]Under common layers, REMOVE YOUR LAYER THAT YOU CREATED. (don't worry, this doesn't delete it)
[*]Click on ELI under mode name.
[*]Under "Layers Used" click "add"
[*]Select the layer that you created, ex. DMI_Karnage
[*]Click the update REQ and Mode REQ button.
[*]Save world.[/list]

To check, open the game modes: CONFIGURE button. Click on eli, you should see your layer name on the RIGHT, if you see it on the LEFT, that is wrong. If it was the model's fault, then you would get build errors.[/quote]
I did all that. In the whole of the bfront2.log there was only one severity 3:

Message Severity: 3
.\Source\EntityProp.cpp(921)
Prop "" not built: "ALL YOUR MODEL ARE BELONG TO US."

What's with the zero wing reference? That's kinda lame. :|
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Oh I got that silly error too. What I did was rename my .msh, and renamed my model name in xsi. I'm really not sure what causes it. It has something to do with naming... anyway clean before you munge the renamed msh too.
FragMe!
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Not sure keep changing my mind.
Games I'm Playing :: F1 and SWBF

Post by FragMe! »

Hey Caleb the glowy on the bed turned out better than I thought it did.
Looks great, now fill all the other floors :lol:
[RDH]Zerted
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Bos Wars AI - a RTS game
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 and Bos Wars

Post by [RDH]Zerted »

RepSharpshooter wrote:...Contains everything...
So then you are limiting units and doing that two-sided thing instead of just preventing/punishing the killing? There would have to be walls to prevent someone from shooting into the city from the fighting areas... How are you going to prevent a Jedi from just killing everyone? Are the animals going to prevented from entering the city somehow? Also, I'm not sure if infinite heath prevents head shot kills, a shield might, but I've never tried it.

I think Wave Mode should be turned into a real game mode.

Oh and please use the hide tags, thanks.
tsurugi13
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by tsurugi13 »

RepSharpshooter wrote:Oh I got that silly error too. What I did was rename my .msh, and renamed my model name in xsi. I'm really not sure what causes it. It has something to do with naming... anyway clean before you munge the renamed msh too.
I tried that and a manual clean. It just isn't working. :( also, were the textures for the buildings in the map released seperately? I just see this:
MasterSaitek009
Black Sun Slicer

Post by MasterSaitek009 »

Hi, I'm back. Could I possibly have C4, providing that it's still available, instead of D4?
I'm gonna start working on hats tonight. :)
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

[RDH]Zerted wrote:
RepSharpshooter wrote:...Contains everything...
So then you are limiting units and doing that two-sided thing instead of just preventing/punishing the killing? There would have to be walls to prevent someone from shooting into the city from the fighting areas... How are you going to prevent a Jedi from just killing everyone? Are the animals going to prevented from entering the city somehow? Also, I'm not sure if infinite heath prevents head shot kills, a shield might, but I've never tried it.

I think Wave Mode should be turned into a real game mode.
  • Ah, I forgot about the second option. Well we can either have armed/unarmed teams, or we can just combine them into 1 seamless selection of units that are all armed. Instead of the city regions banning the existence of armed people, it would just punish the killing of human players (as you said). I don't know which one would be more advantageous. The latter would provide a greater selection of units. I suppose it would also make the level feel more realistic, as there would be no "transition booths" or silly things like that.
  • As for the walls, I'm sure we can rig up a forcefield, like on naboo; visibility optional too.
  • It seems the jedi are taking the police role. If that is the case, then they would be impervious to punishment for killing people within the city. I'm not sure what would keep them from killing everyone other than making sure jedi are only unlocked for trustworthy people. Then again, anyone with enough points can be a jedi.... perhaps we could have a "jedi master" class that we somehow validate to only certain people. The regular jedi knights would be still subject to the no kill rule. Now as to how to validate the jedi master, we could just use one of the techniques that I descibed, it is as follows:
    Hidden/Spoiler:
    In the lua is a list of "approved" people. When a player spawns, his lua checks itself if it is on the approved list. This is done through the getProfileName call or something like that. If the player's profile does not match one on the list, he kills himself, which the server would allow. Now you may ask, "well how do we keep someone from stealing someone else's identity?" The answer is that getProfileName does not get the GameSpy ID of the user. It gets the regular profile name (which IS NOT displayed online if you have a GSID). This means one could use the profile name as a "password" which nobody would know.
  • :shock: That'd be weird if a wild animal started to run around in the city, I just assumed we'd spawn them out so far they wouldn't walk right in. Perhaps we do need a city gate/forcefield to keep things out.
  • Headshots are just regular shots times 1.5 or something, they should be fine. We wouldn't even need infinite health if we went with the side scheme you mentioned.
  • Yeah, wave mode would make a good stand-alone mode for battle arena or something. Also, wazmol should incorporate it into his Geo Arena map. But we can still make it apart of this map as well right? the wave sequence could be triggered by a lua even such as the destruction of a trigger object, and somehow it'd reset it self when all the human players die. I don't think a region could accurately bound the arena though :/ we'll have to work on it later.
@MasterSaitek009 sure, challenger is in C3
@tsurugi13 all I know is that my error was caused by having 2 mshs that had Models in them with the same name. Did you rename it in xsi and re-export? But I also had:

Code: Select all

Message Severity: 3
.\Source\EntityProp.cpp(539)
Prop "250m" geometry "250m" not found
Yours says Prop "" so perhaps it's something in your odf that's incorrect. (i'm just guessin though).

Poll changed.
tsurugi13
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by tsurugi13 »

Did you rename it in xsi and re-export?
Yay! that last one worked! Alright I'm on my way! :music:
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

Are the prefab houses in the download you put up several pages back for the map?

Also, what about the idea of a car dealership? Just a huge building with a variety of vehicles you can take and when you take one, it auto replaces your old one, and the old one goes into the dealership.
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

I believe maveritchell was doing something in that genre.

And I'm still working on the prefabs, so I didn't release them yet. I have two done, I would like a third one so people can have some variety.

And for the new page (since this place is so cluttered), here is the last important post, idea-wise:
Hidden/Spoiler:
[quote="RepSharpshooter"][quote="[RDH]Zerted"][quote="RepSharpshooter"]...Contains everything...[/quote]So then you are limiting units and doing that two-sided thing instead of just preventing/punishing the killing? There would have to be walls to prevent someone from shooting into the city from the fighting areas... How are you going to prevent a Jedi from just killing everyone? Are the animals going to prevented from entering the city somehow? Also, I'm not sure if infinite heath prevents head shot kills, a shield might, but I've never tried it.

I think Wave Mode should be turned into a real game mode.[/quote]
[list]
[*]Ah, I forgot about the second option. Well we can either have armed/unarmed teams, or we can just combine them into 1 seamless selection of units that are all armed. Instead of the city regions banning the existence of armed people, it would just punish the killing of human players (as you said). I don't know which one would be more advantageous. The latter would provide a greater selection of units. I suppose it would also make the level feel more realistic, as there would be no "transition booths" or silly things like that.
[*]As for the walls, I'm sure we can rig up a forcefield, like on naboo; visibility optional too.
[*]It seems the jedi are taking the police role. If that is the case, then they would be impervious to punishment for killing people within the city. I'm not sure what would keep them from killing everyone other than making sure jedi are only unlocked for trustworthy people. Then again, anyone with enough points can be a jedi.... perhaps we could have a "jedi master" class that we somehow validate to only certain people. The regular jedi knights would be still subject to the no kill rule. Now as to how to validate the jedi master, we could just use one of the techniques that I descibed, it is as follows: In the lua is a list of "approved" people. When a player spawns, his lua checks itself if it is on the approved list. This is done through the getProfileName call or something like that. If the player's profile does not match one on the list, he kills himself, which the server would allow. Now you may ask, "well how do we keep someone from stealing someone else's identity?" The answer is that getProfileName does not get the GameSpy ID of the user. It gets the regular profile name (which IS NOT displayed online if you have a GSID). This means one could use the profile name as a "password" which nobody would know.
[*] :shock: That'd be weird if a wild animal started to run around in the city, I just assumed we'd spawn them out so far they wouldn't walk right in. Perhaps we do need a city gate/forcefield to keep things out.
[*]Headshots are just regular shots times 1.5 or something, they should be fine. We wouldn't even need infinite health if we went with the side scheme you mentioned.
[*]Yeah, wave mode would make a good stand-alone mode for battle arena or something. Also, wazmol should incorporate it into his Geo Arena map. But we can still make it apart of this map as well right? the wave sequence could be triggered by a lua even such as the destruction of a trigger object, and somehow it'd reset it self when all the human players die. I don't think a region could accurately bound the arena though :/ we'll have to work on it later.[/list]
[/quote]
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

I think a simple answer, as I have suggested before would be to have 2 teams, with civilioans male and female, who have a forever shield and a weapon of choice as a primary weapon. If you siwtch to the weapon, your shield doesnt work and you can be killed, but you also cant kill other people unless they switch to the weapon to fight you.
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Nobody would ever die because you could always switch back to your shield. I think zerted's idea preserves some sense of realism, as it doesn't have infinite health or shields. It just punishes you for doing bad things. I'm sure he can code the lua no problem too.
FragMe!
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Not sure keep changing my mind.
Games I'm Playing :: F1 and SWBF

Post by FragMe! »

Grev wrote:Also, what about the idea of a car dealership? Just a huge building with a variety of vehicles you can take and when you take one, it auto replaces your old one, and the old one goes into the dealership.
I was making FragMe!'s vehicle rental where you can pick up a vehicle to boot around in. To start with it has the buggy I made which Rep can attest to it is fun to drive and go hill hopping. I may include (or have others include) different vehicles. Right now they are just odf generated vehicles (once both Rep and I realized at the same time you need to put an EntityHover line in the memory pools :funny2: ) but maybe could be spawned from a neutral (local) command post with a control zone so if it is abandoned out in the field too long it dies and respawns.

It is a really cool building too with curvey up and down ramps like a real parkade as well as last night I made an elevator in XSI and it uses all XSI animations so it won't have to be done in ZE. I was afraid it might not work but it did even though it is a 2100 frame animation. Stops on three different floors and has front and back opening doors.
trainmaster611
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Post by trainmaster611 »

I had an idea for this map. I figure with the size of this map, we have a lot of empty rooms right? Well what if we added security rooms. You could have seats that you could get into, and you would control a remote turret in different places around the city and look at people, like security cameras.
Blade
Captain
Captain

Post by Blade »

trainmaster611 wrote:I had an idea for this map. I figure with the size of this map, we have a lot of empty rooms right? Well what if we added security rooms. You could have seats that you could get into, and you would control a remote turret in different places around the city and look at people, like security cameras.
I like that idea, but I personally think that Rep's spectator droids from the Battle Arena would be better, so you can fly around without having to like switch turrets to get another view.
MercuryNoodles
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Space - Boarding Action

Post by MercuryNoodles »

I now have my texture problem isolated. For some reason the MSH is looking for Airboat001.tga, and it's calling for two other TGAs for no apparent reason. (I'd named my TGA after one of the latter, only to see an untextured building ingame.) I'm pretty sure this is a screwup on my part from playing with UVs, since I don't see this sort of thing in Pandemic's models.

Also, I have made my building four times larger, which makes it dwarf almost everything. O_o I feel I need to double the current size, though, since it is a narrow building, and I'd like to have a wide base without playing with the proportions. Is anyone else making anything anywhere near that large? I had the impression there would be a major city, but with mostly small prefabs sitting around, it reminds me more of Keldabe. :P
RepSharpshooter
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Yeah textures are kinda difficult to get working. Make sure you delete any redundant materials/material libraries that aren't being used. Also, make sure you follow the cluster rules.

The jedi temple is going to be pretty big.

By the way, does anyone have any more ideas for the jedi temple besides a sparring arena?
Blade
Captain
Captain

Post by Blade »

RepSharpshooter wrote:Yeah textures are kinda difficult to get working. Make sure you delete any redundant materials/material libraries that aren't being used. Also, make sure you follow the cluster rules.

The jedi temple is going to be pretty big.

By the way, does anyone have any more ideas for the jedi temple besides a sparring arena?
First of all, that temple looks really good (if the tall building is the temple, and I'm not just making myself look like an idiot :P).

I think some of the tunnel-y chambers, like from Jedi Outcast would be cool. Sort of like... a simple maze. I don't know if this can be done, but, assuming the Jedi will have Force powers, I think it'd be cool to have objects that can be pulled/pushed around to like... I don't know, jump over walls or something :P. These are all just rough ideas, but I loved the Massassi Jedi Temple in Outcast. I'm actually thinking about attempting to make one, though not for the DMI, of course :).