how to export a model with skeleton? [Solved]

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

Brucelciolino
Private Recruit
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

how to export a model with skeleton? [Solved]

Post by Brucelciolino »

I exported models to Battlefront using Blender, but I don't know how to do that including the skeleton to use it as a playable character. When I try to export anyway it just stays static.

Last edited by Brucelciolino on Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sporadia
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently
Games I'm Playing :: None

Re: how to export a model with skeleton?

Post by Sporadia »

I don't know about blender because I'm using the softimage modtool with Andeweget's ZEtool. This post is a tutorial for softimage if it helps finding the settings in blender: http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?p=535144#p535144

Edit: I've redacted my list of steps because there are better ways to do it. Whereas my suggestion, as I'm now discovering, can mess up the bone hierarchy.
Brucelciolino
Private Recruit

Post by Brucelciolino »

Sporadia wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:03 pm
I don't know about blender because I'm using the softimage modtool with Andeweget's ZEtool. This post is a tutorial for softimage if it helps finding the settings in blender: http://www.gametoast.com/viewtopic.php?p=535144#p535144

Edit: I've redacted my list of steps because there are better ways to do it. Whereas my suggestion, as I'm now discovering, can mess up the bone hierarchy.
I can't download Psych0fred's bones, I think the link is broken
Sporadia
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Sporadia »

The site was down yesterday but it's fine again today. Also, if you're not repositioning bones you don't really need that specific skeleton. It's just easier to visualise (but if you are repositioning the skeleton then the psych0fred one is more appropriate for a bunch of reasons). Pulling the skeleton out of all_inf_luke.msh would have would worked fine for an average height male character with human_sabre animations.

For people who need to know how to do that:
  • Open the explorer and select Scene_Root,
  • then go to Model > Create > Model > New Model (if Scene_Root isn't selected, this model could be made in a weird place),
  • call the new model Grounddummy,
  • import all_inf_luke.msh,
  • move the DummyRoot under Grounddummy (don't leave a DummyRoot directly under Scene_Root before you import another model, because it will try to combine the skeletons),
  • then import Kylo Ren and from then on it's about the same as the tutorial. It may be good practice to look at Secton 2 of Gogie's most recent animation tutorial and read up on how to unkey and key the skeleton before you move the bones out of all_inf_luke.msh and under KyloRen.msh. I don't know enough about animation to know whether that's necessary or not.
Brucelciolino
Private Recruit

Post by Brucelciolino »

Sporadia wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:27 am
The site was down yesterday but it's fine again today. Also, if you're not repositioning bones you don't really need that specific skeleton. It's just easier to visualise (but if you are repositioning the skeleton then the psych0fred one is more appropriate for a bunch of reasons). Pulling the skeleton out of all_inf_luke.msh would have would worked fine for an average height male character with human_sabre animations.

For people who need to know how to do that:
  • Open the explorer and select Scene_Root,
  • then go to Model > Create > Model > New Model (if Scene_Root isn't selected, this model could be made in a weird place),
  • call the new model Grounddummy,
  • import all_inf_luke.msh,
  • move the DummyRoot under Grounddummy (don't leave a DummyRoot directly under Scene_Root before you import another model, because it will try to combine the skeletons),
  • then import Kylo Ren and from then on it's about the same as the tutorial. It may be good practice to look at Secton 2 of Gogie's most recent animation tutorial and read up on how to unkey and key the skeleton before you move the bones out of all_inf_luke.msh and under KyloRen.msh. I don't know enough about animation to know whether that's necessary or not.
i'm not finding the option to export to msh in Softimage

Sporadia
Corporal
Corporal

Post by Sporadia »

It's not a regular setting in softimage. For the softimage modtool, you need the ZETools addon made by Andewedget in order to import and export msh, and to work with cloth. For other versions of softimage, I'm not sure what's recommended but it's probably still the ZETools. Then you use ZETool > import, or ZETool > export, for msh. And use File > Import Model, for the emdl.
Brucelciolino
Private Recruit

Post by Brucelciolino »

Sporadia wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:08 pm
It's not a regular setting in softimage. For the softimage modtool, you need the ZETools addon made by Andewedget in order to import and export msh, and to work with cloth. For other versions of softimage, I'm not sure what's recommended but it's probably still the ZETools. Then you use ZETool > import, or ZETool > export, for msh. And use File > Import Model, for the emdl.
I'VE GOT IT!

thanks man i couldn't do it without you