09FEB21 GoG/Steam Update 1.2 (1)

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

iamastupid
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Projects :: Not Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft
xbox live or psn: d_Bro

09FEB21 GoG/Steam Update 1.2 (1)

Post by iamastupid »

Nobody posted this to forums yet but...

Okay, I want to make something clear. None of this is new, this is literally the same code and crap they made for Battlefront 1 (2004) when it released onto GoG and Steam last year so they just copied it over, poorly at that.
The 4:3 loadscreen issue is a relic of the fact BF1 had 4:3 movies as loadscreens and the HUD scaling has the same issue.
This is also why new graphical bugs have appeared as well. The High shadow setting will cause everything to go black and LOD and View Distance is fixed.
The controller config menu is actually copied straight from Battlefront 1 and the Battlefront 1 bonus content menu was added for absolutely no reason.

This is an absolutely ♥♥♥♥♥ update and you should immediately go onto ModDB and download the reversion patch.
Multiplayer is working and they seemed to have added Leaderboards back, however it seems to only be counting player points on CTF modes and Conquest and has not updated since we noticed it came online.

They broke most of Galactic Conquest's functionality, such as the ability to even select your fleet to command.

The fact that this is all been ported from BF1 and attached into the core game files with additional external software injecting onto it means that it could take a while for modders to at minimum get the 1.3 patch working again, however custom HUDs might stay broken - especially those that required Anakin's Remaster patch like the Republic Commando and Battlefront III Legacy mods.

GoG should have recreated all the needed content specifically for Battlefront 2 (2005) from scratch or at least using the PC base files as the interface graphics they are using are actually from the Xbox and Playstation 2.

This might never get fixed, so you shouldn't get your hopes up - but that does not mean completely give in. Be incredibly vocal on all social media platforms and get your favourite YouTubers to speak out. Spam GoG's Twitter post about the update and contact costumer support. Everything that is in your power to get their attention.

If you want more of a reason, GoG CAN add the Xbox DLC Content if they wanted to, modders have done it (There is a makeshift PC version of the DLC on ModDB) meaning the files are already available on PC, they just need to modify animation limits to allow for the new heroes and implement the maps into the map pool officially, this would really give them some brownie points with the community and make them a little less mad they keep breaking and ruining these classic games.

All in all, not a great day for the community.

Other things to note are:
Multiplayer does work although you can get an error when trying to log in, just keep switching between the Singleplayer and Multiplayer tabs until it works.
Selecting the controller config menu while in game causes a crash.
No Playstation or Switch controllers are supported.
Minecraft is and will always be a better game.
Certain mods do still work, as long as they didn't have custom eras, custom gamemodes or custom HUDs, so HarrisonFog's remaster mod mostly works with improved sides included, the Xbox DLC recreation works, Bob Omb Battlefront, Kothlis Sea haven, Alzoc III Blizzard, Honoghr Crash site and other maps like them.
Sporadia
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently
Games I'm Playing :: None
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: 09FEB21 GoG/Steam Update 1.2 (1)

Post by Sporadia »

My game updated yesterday, and again today. I haven't noticed any problems with galactic conquest today. I've tested that I can select/build fleets, use bonuses and play the game and it all works for me. This update has broken the 1.3 patch though. None of my user scripts are running which I think can be traced back to the 1.3 patch not working anymore (ie user script 10). I haven't really tested anything else.

I can't find a reversion mod on moddb though.

I'm surprised that this game even gets updates to be honest. What has this added to the game?

EDIT: Can anyone verify that the ai opponent is still buying new units in galactic conquest? I haven't seen it happen yet in 2 full games. I'm used to the opponent buying new units shortly after I do, so it looks suspiciously like it's broken. But it could easily be coincidence since it's RNG. Can anyone confirm that this is working?
iamastupid
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal
Projects :: Not Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft
xbox live or psn: d_Bro

Post by iamastupid »

The update was reverted by GoG.
Turns out the update was offered by Lucasfilm Games (Who were also behind the SWBF1 Steam launch)
GoG were just the distributor. Which is strange since GoG handle the Multiplayer and Servers and the update reintroduced Leaderboards.
Either way GoG thought to revert the update but it might not be the last we've seen from it if it was Lucasfilm Games trying to push it.
The game is back to the exact state it was prior to the update.
cbadal
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: SWBF2 XBOX Mod Environment
Games I'm Playing :: SW Battlefront 2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by cbadal »

Looking forward to the 'Steam Deck' and the controller support might be nice.
I posted an archive of the feb 9 (controller support) update here:
https://github.com/Gametoast/Documentat ... ialUpdates

If you want to mess with it, go ahead; you can report issues that you encounter to this thread.

So far I've noticed:
* The modtools debugger exe doesn't work with the lvl files included; (found a fix => define the undefined functions)
* The Update crashes on mission launch with the 1.3 UOP installed.
* The profile format changed to accommodate the Gamepad controls. The new profile is not compatible with the old .exe. IF you use the modtools debugger, create a profile called 'ModTool' and don't load it with the feb9 exe.
* They changed 1PlayerHud.hud to something that hashes to '0xB33F6A26.hud'

The update adds the following ScriptCB functions:

Code: Select all

ScriptCB_ReadRightstick(), 
ScriptCB_ResetGamepadToDefault(), 
ScriptCB_IsJoyUsed(), 
ScriptCB_IsKeyboardUsed(),
ScriptCB_GetTargetAspect()
ScriptCB_GetJoyButtonPressed(),
ScriptCB_GetCurrentAspect(),
I'll report more findings as I come across them.