Importing MSH files to XSI - can it be done?

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Tohron

Importing MSH files to XSI - can it be done?

Post by Tohron »

Title says it all, I was wondering if there's a way to import existing mesh files into XSI for editing (using the Mod Tools edition). (And about my last problem, the screen was able to be resized enough, thanks Jabba)
Bertie

RE: Importing MSH files to XSI - can it be done?

Post by Bertie »

It is doable. First you have to start your Zeroeditor. Then you have to place the msh object you want to have in XSI. Choose multiselect and select it. Then you have to choose "save as obj". .obj files can be imported in XSI. You likely have to delete some collision and lowrez objects.
Tohron

Post by Tohron »

Thanks, but I tryed that and nothing appeared in XSI. I checked the heirarchy and nothing's there. Is there anything special that needs to be done when you import it for it to show up? I havn't performed the activation key procedure yet, so that might be the reason
ruasoh

Post by ruasoh »

The short answer is..no. Nimlot made bconstructor which kind of works, but for the most part you need to use an XSI other than mod tools. Essentials gives you a free 30 day trial which you can use the plugin with.
Dragonum
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Dragonum »

ruasoh wrote:The short answer is..no. Nimlot made bconstructor which kind of works, but for the most part you need to use an XSI other than mod tools. Essentials gives you a free 30 day trial which you can use the plugin with.
you can place the Model in ZE, save it as a obj file and import this file in XSI. but i think the XSI modtool cant import obj files.
when you import the obj file, the model is not at 0,0,0.
zoom out in a window and take a look where it is
Penguin
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Penguin »

Dragonum, bertie said that already, 2nd post, lol
Dragonum
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Dragonum »

Penguin wrote:Dragonum, bertie said that already, 2nd post, lol
i know, but i wrote this too.

Dragonum wrote: but i think the XSI modtool cant import obj files.
bertie didnt :wink:
ruasoh

Post by ruasoh »

you can place the Model in ZE, save it as a obj file and import this file in XSI. but i think the XSI modtool cant import obj files.
Sorry, I was thinking of mod tools to ZE...Although the model occationally gets messed up, bconstructor can usually help export mesh files (no skeletons or anything) into XSI, though you might need a program like milkshape to read/write in the txt format that bconstructor uses.
Tohron

Post by Tohron »

I already asked Nimlot this, but what do you enter when bconstructor asks you for a file address? Say I want to convert the file at C:\BF2_ModTools\data_TMP\Worlds\TMP\MSH\imp_cap_stardestroyer1.msh to XSI format - what would I type in the bconstructor window?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Use the old BConstructor