Custom Cockpits (FAQ)

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

Rends
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Custom Cockpits (FAQ)

Post by Rends »

Ok, i guess you already know how to create a new side in SWBF2.
so here we go:

1. create a new side with the vehicle you want a cockpit for.

2. Place the odf and msh files of the vehicle and the cockpit msh into their specific sides folder.

3. Create and open your sideID.req file

4. Add the cockpit below the model entry (example Gunship cockpit)

Code: Select all

REQN
    {
        "model"
        "rep_1st_cockpit_gunship"
    }
5. Open the vehicle odf file and add following line:

Code: Select all

FirstPerson   = "cor\cor;rep_1st_cockpit_gunship"
there are more entries like Fields of view ect... but for the basic setup it should work. that´s all.

Have fun!
PR-0927
Old School Staff

Post by PR-0927 »

Just one problem with cockpits in vehicles (where else, lol). You cannot switch from first-person to third-person when you are in them. You have to change it when you are a soldier, and then get in for that view.

- Majin Revan
Penguin
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Penguin »

? that doesn't happen for me. i can change veiw in space ships.

thx Rends.
minilogoguy18
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Re: Custom Cockpits (FAQ)

Post by minilogoguy18 »

Sorry to bump this but this is a very incomplete FAQ especially since it really only shows how to get a cockpit to work through scripting. I'm wanting to know if any of the 3rd person model can be made visible while in the cockpit like the nose and how a custom cockpit model should be set up before export.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

minilogoguy18 wrote:I'm wanting to know if any of the 3rd person model can be made visible while in the cockpit like the nose...

Yes it can, the Y-Wing I use in my TCW mod has the nose visible. It is just part of the cockpit model. A good way to check out how cockpit models are set up, would be to import one of the stock models. I recommend all_1st_cockpit_ywing.msh.
minilogoguy18
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by minilogoguy18 »

Thanks, I'm gonna check it out in SWBFviewer, importing is always so messy but if i have to I'll do that.

EDIT: Just opened the cockpit mesh and the nose is not present, I'm guessing that the 3rd person model IS visible in game when in the cockpit. The cockpit mesh is I'm assuming modeled so that it's vertex's have the same global coordinates in XSI as the 3rd person model but exported separately so that it all lines up.

Gonna test all this to better suit this FAQ.
Last edited by minilogoguy18 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

minilogoguy18 wrote:Sorry to bump this but this is a very incomplete FAQ especially since it really only shows how to get a cockpit to work through scripting...
This is the SWBF2 Modding forum, the tutorial is not incomplete in terms of where this thread is posted. If it was a "How to model a custom cockpit in XSI" tutorial then it would most likely be in the 3D Modeling & Animation forum, but it still would not be practical to include instruction for every possible situation one may have.
minilogoguy18
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by minilogoguy18 »

Well either way they are all 1 in the same as exporting the model and scripting it to work go hand in hand as you wouldn't even have a cockpit view with only 1 half of the process.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

minilogoguy18 wrote:EDIT: Just opened the cockpit mesh and the nose is not present, I'm guessing that the 3rd person model IS visible in game when in the cockpit. The cockpit mesh is I'm assuming modeled so that it's vertex's have the same global coordinates in XSI as the 3rd person model but exported separately so that it all lines up.
Occam's razor - if the cockpit mesh isn't there, it isn't there. What the above poster was referring to is a custom cockpit, like this one:
Your first-person mesh is its own unique mesh. This tutorial only covers the .odf setup since a model is a model is a model - there's nothing special about first-person cockpit models.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Maveritchell wrote:
minilogoguy18 wrote:EDIT: Just opened the cockpit mesh and the nose is not present, I'm guessing that the 3rd person model IS visible in game when in the cockpit. The cockpit mesh is I'm assuming modeled so that it's vertex's have the same global coordinates in XSI as the 3rd person model but exported separately so that it all lines up.
Occam's razor - if the cockpit mesh isn't there, it isn't there. What the above poster was referring to is a custom cockpit...
I should have been a bit more specific. Mav is correct, I am refering to a custom cockpit model, like the one he posted. The Y-Wing I use in my TCW mod is also custom, it needed a custom cockpit model. The the cockpit mesh was actually the stock y-wing cockpit imported to XSI, with the nose of the custom Y-Wing attached to the front. I would show a pic, but I don't have that model with me. Additionally Mav's example should be pretty clear.