Foolproof TEXTURING Tutorial

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Lord-Bandu

Foolproof TEXTURING Tutorial

Post by Lord-Bandu »

Theres loads of ways to texture your models but not all of them work for SWBF1/2 for some reason. So, here is a way that works:

1. Make your model.

2. Unique UV's ( in the drop down menu at the top , click on Property> Texture Projection> Unique UV's

3. Select the polygon (hotkey = U) you want to have 'texture A' then press Ctrl+L ...this will turn your selected polygon white.

4. Get Texture ( in the drop down menu at the top , click on Render> Get Texture. Click on image. Click yes on the pop up.

5. The texture editor pop up will now appear....click on New and navigate to texture A . this will apply 'texture A' to your selected polygon.

6. Press Alt+7 and arrange your polygon/s (make use of the subprojections) onto the 'texture A' as you want. Close the 2 pop ups

7. Change 1 of your 4 views to Texture Editor and do nothing else apart from Edit > Freeze.

Repeat steps 3 to 7 for Texture B , C , D , E etc etc etc etc.

Exporting - Create a null at 0,0,0, and keep it there. In the Exploror view name it Dummyroot and put all your models in it .

Branch select (middle mouse click) the Dummyroot - this will select all the important stuff inside the null.

Export.

I guarauntee this way works.
drummerzoid1

RE: Foolproof TEXTURING Tutorial

Post by drummerzoid1 »

wow, thanks!
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : I guess you would have wished to place this thread among all other "Stickies" present in this GameToast forums' section, Bandu', and that's why it is now the case... :wink:
Lord-Bandu

Post by Lord-Bandu »

Cheers Lev
n1nj4

Post by n1nj4 »

Why do you select unique UVs? It opens up a pop-up, so what do I do, being the only option is to close the window again...
general_yoda

Post by general_yoda »

i think taht is a good 7 step plan Lord-bandu :wink:
Lord-Bandu

Texturing tutorial

Post by Lord-Bandu »

Iv made a few alterations but I cant edit my post cos it was moved from the other xsi forum ...

Streamlined slightly to 6 steps.

1. Make your model.

2. Unique UV's ( in the drop down menu at the top , click on Property> Texture Projection> Unique UV's . Close the pop-up

3. select the polygon (hotkey = U) you want to have 'texture A' then press Ctrl+L ...this will turn your selected polygon white.

4. Get Texture ( in the drop down menu at the top , click on Render> Get Texture. Click on image. Click yes on the pop up.

5. The texture editor pop up will now appear....click on New and navigate to texture A . this will apply 'texture A' to your selected polygon.

6. Press Alt+7 and arrange your polygon/s (make use of the subprojections) onto the 'texture A' as you want then click EDIT > FREEZE (this will freeze your texture in place so if you wanna scale up/down your model later the texture will stay in place). Close the 2 pop ups

Repeat steps 3 to 6 for Texture B , C , D , E etc etc etc etc.

Exporting - Create a null at 0,0,0, and keep it there . In the Exploror view name it (Dummyroot or whatever you want) and put all your models in it .

BRANCH SELECT (middle mouse button) the Dummyroot (or whatever you named it) - this will select all the important stuff inside the null.

Export.

I guarauntee this way works.
n1nj4

Post by n1nj4 »

hmm.....I'm trying that method with the xsi mod tool, and exporting it via milkshape to bconstructor, but my textures aren't showing up...maybe there is something wrong with my textures....textures always were a pain...
Lord-Bandu

Post by Lord-Bandu »

It'll be the exporting process . your textures are getting lost somewhere along the line . If there are any import options make sure your keeping the UV's /texture. also you need to have those textures somewhere in the program for them to show.

I know pretty much nothing about milkshape or bcon as far as textures go tho'
n1nj4

Post by n1nj4 »

I've now used xsi foundation to do this, and i have used your tutorial, but the textures still don't work (I'm using the pandemic addon that comes with the swbf2 modtools to export in .msh format) I think it's a problem with my textures, because I used a texture from the game and it works...but I can't possibly imagine what is wrong with my 24-bit tgas.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Lord-Bandu, do you want me to substitute the content of your first message by the one you've posted after, in order to make things less "confusing" and easier for GameToast members browsing this thread ?...
n1nj4

Post by n1nj4 »

Off-topic: Krun, I'm not a total noob. You have already told me that and of course, I have done that. I do not need things repeated.
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : To return on your problem, dast, I would like you to upload both the texture coming from Star Wars Battlefront II and the custom one you've used in Softimage|XSI Foundation so as to apply them on your own mesh...
So, I will see what can be done to make the last one working properly...
n1nj4

Post by n1nj4 »

Off topic: Not needed...I have solved my problem through alternate methods...

Way off topic: (I don't think there is another way to change my horrible username besides making a new account, is there?)
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : dast, if you really wish to modify your current GameToast Account's name, then you should send either a Private Message or an e-mail to our great "Jawa Administrator" - Also known as guru - about this request... :wink: