Mesh comes into game as a stretched-out mess

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

mrcluster
Private First Class
Projects :: Tatooine - Jundland Wastes
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Mesh comes into game as a stretched-out mess

Post by mrcluster »

I tried to make a Sandtrooper without his gear or backpack (just the pauldron left over) in XSI with the ZETools. My process was simple - import the model, remove all the necessary vertices, select both the character model and his gear model, then export. This gave me the result shown here. I then tried to do the "Freeze All Transforms" trick which people seem to say can help, but that still didn't work after exporting. I'm not exactly sure what I've done wrong.
Gogie
Modeling Master
Modeling Master
Projects :: Tinkering away with LEGO

Re: Mesh comes into game as a stretched-out mess

Post by Gogie »

mrcluster wrote:Image
I tried to make a Sandtrooper without his gear or backpack (just the pauldron left over) in XSI with the ZETools. My process was simple - import the model, remove all the necessary vertices, select both the character model and his gear model, then export. This gave me the result shown here. I then tried to do the "Freeze All Transforms" trick which people seem to say can help, but that still didn't work after exporting. I'm not exactly sure what I've done wrong.
There is a few things that can cause this.
1) don’t export by clicking the model instead use the middle mouse button to branch select dummy root to export.

2) never freeze transforms after a model has been enveloped (this should only be done after modelling and before you give a model any children. This can effectively kill your skeleton)

3) make sure you are only enveloped to bones not roots or effs (bone_root is the only root you should ever have weighted)

[edit] if you haven’t already done so I recommend joining the discord for simple issues like this. I only check gt every few days but I’m very active on discord
mrcluster
Private First Class
Projects :: Tatooine - Jundland Wastes
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Mesh comes into game as a stretched-out mess

Post by mrcluster »

Gogie wrote:
mrcluster wrote:Image
There is a few things that can cause this.
1) don’t export by clicking the model instead use the middle mouse button to branch select dummy root to export.

2) never freeze transforms after a model has been enveloped (this should only be done after modelling and before you give a model any children. This can effectively kill your skeleton)

3) make sure you are only enveloped to bones not roots or effs (bone_root is the only root you should ever have weighted)

[edit] if you haven’t already done so I recommend joining the discord for simple issues like this. I only check gt every few days but I’m very active on discord
There's a discord?! Oh, man, that'll be a lifesaver, I didn't even know that existed. Thanks for the tips, by the way - I actually ended up solving this by making sure I exported the sv_stormtrooper (or some sorta thing that was similarly named from that) part of the model too, along with the necessary selected meshes. I have a busted MMB so I can't branch select.