A question of permission

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

A question of permission

Post by Anakin »

Hey,

since DarthD.U.C.K. isn't active anymore i hope you (staff/friends of him) can answer my question.
I'm currently reworking my RC mod and i want to change the helmet as well. Currently it's only a simple plane and i want it to become a real helmet. Similar to the one that DarthD.U.C.K. made once.

Well i don't have the permission of him to use his RC stuff except the things he send to me. But you all know that the camera of SWBF2 is very fancy (that's why i've choosen the plane once).
DarthD.U.C.K. made the fpm with a real helmet, so do you think it's ok if i "steal" his fpm using the unmunge tool to get the rotation and distance from the camera/skeleton i need for the helmet? Or do you think i should do try and error for hours??

(I don't want his fpm, just the rotation/distance values)
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: A question of permission

Post by Maveritchell »

I'll be the first person to tell you that it's not okay to use something someone else made without permission, but I'll also point out that there's a fine but pretty important distinction between "use" and "copy." If you want to tear up someone else's stuff and learn how it's pieced together so that you can remake it yourself, that's a-ok. You've already done all the work to learn how to set up your FPV and already set up your art. All you're doing is saving some wasted time on trial and error, which is fine.

I don't think there's ever a definite "yes"/"no" when you're using someone else's stuff without talking to the person, but I can tell you that I personally would have no qualms about doing what you're suggesting.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Other communities have a rule that the person should try all methods of contacting the author, and if there is no response in 30 days then simply credit them and mention in the read me that you tried to contact them.

Seems pretty fair to me.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

alright thank you, so I'll write a pm to darthduck and wait those 30 days. Before I can start with the fpm I still need to finish my trooper itself and I think I won't finish it within the next 30 days
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Anakin wrote:alright thank you, so I'll write a pm to darthduck and wait those 30 days. Before I can start with the fpm I still need to finish my trooper itself and I think I won't finish it within the next 30 days
If he has an email listed in his profile or any any of his readme/download files be sure to try that too.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Anakin »

Well his profile has not, but the readme files are a good idea. I'll check that out when I'm back at home