IMPORTANT: GOG/Steam reenable SWBF2 multiplayer; breaks v1.3

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Re: IMPORTANT: GOG/Steam reenable SWBF2 multiplayer; breaks

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

Anakin wrote:can't we just change the server address via hex edit, just like we did previously? Because i still have the DVD version.
No, because the new game exe works with many new dll files that would be incompatible with old game exe.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

what about an work around. Any hope we can use the old CD/DVD with the new multiplayer??
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

AnthonyBF2 wrote:No, because the new game exe works with many new dll files that would be incompatible with old game exe.
So....they have the source code for the .exe and maybe even more? Hmmm... :yes:
Led
Private Third Class

Post by Led »

SkinnyODST wrote:I`m using the disk version so I can`t play multiplayer even if I wanted to. But there is a rumour of disk versions becoming compatible at some point
You can still use SWBFspy, which uses the Gameshare binaries that emulate Gamespy. I will continue to run SWBFspy, as it supports PS2 game versions as well as SWBF1. Contact me if you want more information.
Jean
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Jean »

Anakin wrote:can't we just change the server address via hex edit, just like we did previously? Because i still have the DVD version.
They seemed to have done other things and so I don't think that would work. Been following the hundreds of Steam forum comments that go out daily
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Hell, they have source code? Surely that'd be the case if they were able to make the game reference new DLL files.

Wonder if that same thing could be applied to SWBF1 to make it steam-compatible.
ARC1778
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Projects :: WARFRONT + Various Mods for Other Games
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2+RC+RTW MTW NTW
xbox live or psn: AlexisVixie

Post by ARC1778 »

ggctuk wrote:Hell, they have source code? Surely that'd be the case if they were able to make the game reference new DLL files.

Wonder if that same thing could be applied to SWBF1 to make it steam-compatible.

Why bother? We Have the maps already.
iamastupid wrote:
WARNING

Back up your modded game of BF2 before installing the latest GOG update for Steam BF2, I know it readds multiplayer but it breaks a lots of mods (1.3, Dark Times, Conv Pack, Legcay, Skin Changer, Fake Console, Custom Eras and Ultimate Pack)
Some people will just say reinstall the mods but the new multiplayer is completely broken for most players atm, meaning in the future there will be lots more updates which will continue to break them, also validating game files will now have a strong chance of breaking these mods again as well as the new master server apparently has anti-cheat which also attacks mods, or so I've been told. Basically this is a huge blow atm to bf2 modding and I cannot stress how important disc copies and back-ups are right now.

Please be aware.

Personal recommendation: Back up a copy of the Ultimate Pack version since it's the disc version and comes with lots o mods.
Pony? O.o

Was all this about us bitching to Disney? Cos I know i bitched about getting the Source Code.
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by mswf »

I came here hoping to join the celebration of the multiplayer revival. It's a shame that some mod-compatibility issues will need to be resolved first though. But once it's fixed though, it's likely to bring some fresh new eyes to all the great work done by some of the amazing people on this forum, so I'm bringing out a toast to that hope! :D
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

ARC1778 wrote:
ggctuk wrote:Hell, they have source code? Surely that'd be the case if they were able to make the game reference new DLL files.

Because some people still enjoy the first game?
Thunder
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: WARNING: BACK UP GAME (Steam Update Advice)

Post by Thunder »

iamastupid wrote:
WARNING

Back up your modded game of BF2 before installing the latest GOG update for Steam BF2, I know it readds multiplayer but it breaks a lots of mods (1.3, Dark Times, Conv Pack, Legcay, Skin Changer, Fake Console, Custom Eras and Ultimate Pack)
Some people will just say reinstall the mods but the new multiplayer is completely broken for most players atm, meaning in the future there will be lots more updates which will continue to break them, also validating game files will now have a strong chance of breaking these mods again as well as the new master server apparently has anti-cheat which also attacks mods, or so I've been told. Basically this is a huge blow atm to bf2 modding and I cannot stress how important disc copies and back-ups are right now.

Please be aware.

Personal recommendation: Back up a copy of the Ultimate Pack version since it's the disc version and comes with lots o mods.
Glad to see the game being patched after all these years.
I could decompile the latest shell.lvl and try to implement Zerted's patch.
ARC1778
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by ARC1778 »

ggctuk wrote:
ARC1778 wrote:

Because some people still enjoy the first game?
I am not entirely sure why, I don;tr see the differance too much. XD

But fairs fair. :)

ACCORDING TO GoG Who I have emailed, You can roll back the update in galaxy.

EDIT
According to GoG's LexRust, this update was developed by Disney, not GoG, mailing GoG will have no effect.
Chadaface
Private

Post by Chadaface »

ARC1778 wrote: According to GoG's LexRust, this update was developed by Disney, not GoG, mailing GoG will have no effect.
I don't want to say that they are lying but that goes against what they've told the press.

They admitted that they have access to the source code which was the basis for the changes:

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/306 ... e_dead.php
ARC1778
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by ARC1778 »

Right every motherlover email these guys, diseny, and jim sterling, we;ll get to the bottom of this.
Dasher
Private Third Class
Projects :: Loronar Jade Moon

Post by Dasher »

mswf wrote:I came here hoping to join the celebration of the multiplayer revival. It's a shame that some mod-compatibility issues will need to be resolved first though. But once it's fixed though, it's likely to bring some fresh new eyes to all the great work done by some of the amazing people on this forum, so I'm bringing out a toast to that hope! :D
I must concur :thumbs: Also I reckon it wont be a problem for players with both the DVD version and the Steam version...
ARC1778
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Post by ARC1778 »

Dasher wrote:
mswf wrote:I came here hoping to join the celebration of the multiplayer revival. It's a shame that some mod-compatibility issues will need to be resolved first though. But once it's fixed though, it's likely to bring some fresh new eyes to all the great work done by some of the amazing people on this forum, so I'm bringing out a toast to that hope! :D
I must concur :thumbs: Also I reckon it wont be a problem for players with both the DVD version and the Steam version...
Or GoG, where you mcan roll back the update if you wish, which is nice, even if steam is screwing me.
MrMew
Private Third Class

Post by MrMew »

So non-1.3 custom maps still work right?
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

You're a little late to party. This issue's already been fixed: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=33251
MrMew
Private Third Class

Post by MrMew »

Looks like. Should I wait till the next patch is out to install 1.3? Just in case it breaks again?