Battlefront: Legends - Looking for Modders

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Battlefront: Legends - Looking for Modders

Post by Kingpin »

Hidden/Spoiler:
Battlefront: Legends is an upcoming mod for Star Wars Battlefront II that plans to add new units, maps, modes, and other content to the stock game. Legends will feature a new system that no mod has had before to make every battle unique: Zero Front. Zero Front is some simple scripting that will make every unlockable on the revamped sides random, with each unlockable slot having 2-5 new units. This will create hundreds of different team compositions, and even more with the handful of new heroes that Legends will introduce.
I am here looking for talented modders to work on this project; Yes, Legends is very ambitious, and it will take time to create and polish a mod of such potential. So far the mod really hasn't begun production, though I have made a working version of Zero Front already, as well as started on a few new units. I would love to have you join the team full-time, but if you are working on other projects and would still like to contribute, that would be amazing. Legends is looking for:
  • Talented mappers
  • 3D modelers (both scenery and units)
  • 3D model converters/riggers
  • Unit and Weapon ODF Designers
  • Animators
  • Sound designers
  • Talented LUA coders
I am free to discord and skype on an almost regular basis, and am flexible if you live in another time zone. If you are interested, curious, or skeptical, let me know in a PM or in the comments below.
Thanks!
-Magnus/Kingpin
Last edited by Kingpin on Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Re: Looking for Modders

Post by Marth8880 »

I'll be busy with MEU R6 and then TCW and Evolved patch, but I might still be interested, depending on what the project *is*.
ARCTroopaNate
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront - Tides of War
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 RC EAW
xbox live or psn: I have ps4

Post by ARCTroopaNate »

I'm also interested in hearing what the project is, don't currently have a mod project I'm working on.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

Marth8880 wrote:I'll be busy with MEU R6 and then TCW and Evolved patch, but I might still be interested, depending on what the project *is*.
ARCTroopaNate wrote:I'm also interested in hearing what the project is, don't currently have a mod project I'm working on.
While I don't want to give too much away about the project yet, it will be a mod with new era conversions and maps. If you're interested and have the time, I'd be happy to PM you more details.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

sorry busy with legacy and i don't have even time for that project.
But if you need some kind of advice i'm always happy to help here on GT ;)
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

Anakin wrote:sorry busy with legacy and i don't have even time for that project.
But if you need some kind of advice i'm always happy to help here on GT ;)
Thanks! Hope Legacy turns out well.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

You would most likely get more people interested in helping out with this project if you at least provide basic information about it. It wouldn't hurt.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Battlefront: Legends - Looking for modders

Post by Kingpin »

AQT wrote:You would most likely get more people interested in helping out with this project if you at least provide basic information about it. It wouldn't hurt.
You're probably right. I just like to get that wow factor when I already have a bit finished. I'll revise the post soon.

EDIT: See updated first post. -Staff
ARC1778
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Projects :: WARFRONT + Various Mods for Other Games
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2+RC+RTW MTW NTW
xbox live or psn: AlexisVixie

Re: Battlefront: Legends - Looking for Modders

Post by ARC1778 »

Good luck with this, you might have a cool idea, but it's very rare that that will bring in anything, design is the easy part, it just putting your raw creative skill on paper, it doesn't result in actual product, and sadly the best ideas don't get made any easier than the worst ones, in fact they tend to be harder, you'll hit brick walls, have to work around them, or re-focus.

Anyone can have a cool idea, but it's rare for anyone to come in on the ground floor, if it's a really really good idea, or a massive overhaul, you might get a few major players, but otherwise your stuck with a load of encouragement, and a mountain of work, especially if you have no previous modding experience, I've released a few, and help on several more for strategy games like total war, and Hearts of Iron, so I have some experience, I've currently got a team of two, myself, Commander awesome, JediMoose32 who off on an adventure atm, and a few helpers from past projects, and I'm still looking into hiring more help.

MODs ARE SLOW, Warfront: TCW has be in development for over a year now, and we have nothing to show for it, lots of scripts, lots of ODFs, some awesome music that we've cut together, but nothing in game, life gets in the way, work, moving, illness, it all gets in your path, that said we will be launching an infantry weapons test to get feedback by the end of the year, hopefully with the all new animations in it (if we can get the Diet Dr. Pepper things fixed), but half the base features aren't done like mission select, force select, etc, grenades, vehicles, maps, all need to be made still, although it's hardly been a full time occupation for myself or commander awesome well as of yet, I'm hoping on myside that might change, and CA has his skinchanger still to finish, which I know he's been working hard on.

I rolled up here a year and a half ago, while working on a NTW Mod, and said: HEY look at this awesome idea, and I got the thread locked because I had nothing to show with it, I landed on my arse, and I hit the Jackpot, I got two experienced scripters (one of whom made something so awesome that i wanted since I was 12 playing SWBF1 on my PS2, I cried) a bunch of assets from very talented people who haven't made them public release, a partner who is a professional programmer, a friend who works for MoJang, and the project ballooned so much we've had to add a retcon feature that basically is an excuse to leave out half the features we want to have, and add them into previous versions, with each new era release, you won't see the full thing until we hit expanded universe eras.

I'm not saying it's not worth trying, but it's not going to be a triumphant victory showboat ride, it's going to be a long hard slog through the trash ducts, and you as project lead need to be doing more work than everyone else, it can be managing a large team, with different departments, or finding things you can do like music cutting, or ODFs, you have to put in as much effort as everybody else, and if it gets to the point where you need to spend money, it needs to be your money -i.e. hiring help when you can, buying full programs rather than mod tools, etc.

As you're quite a heavy hitter round here, people will trust you to do as you say, but that won't make the journey any more easy.

but you and I should talk, we have some common interests, and might be able to collaborate, as we have some similar feature we want, and should be able to help each other in return, a problem shared is the problem halved. :P
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Kingpin wrote:Battlefront: Legends is an upcoming mod for Star Wars Battlefront II that plans to add new units, maps, modes, and other content to the stock game. Legends will feature a new system that no mod has had before to make every battle unique: Zero Front. Zero Front is some simple scripting that will make every unlockable on the revamped sides random, with each unlockable slot having 2-5 new units. This will create hundreds of different team compositions, and even more with the handful of new heroes that Legends will introduce.
As ambitious as this is, might I suggest that you chop some of this up and use a sort of milestone format? For example, plan for 1-2 maps, weapon-only tweaks, etc for the first iteration. Further iterations will interest more people and possibly get you help while yet adding more features.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

Teancum wrote: As ambitious as this is, might I suggest that you chop some of this up and use a sort of milestone format? For example, plan for 1-2 maps, weapon-only tweaks, etc for the first iteration. Further iterations will interest more people and possibly get you help while yet adding more features.
That's what I have been focusing on. Getting a bit further in development, showing off some new units and a map I have been working on. Once I have more content, I bet more people are ready to help out, like you said.
ARC1778
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Projects :: WARFRONT + Various Mods for Other Games
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2+RC+RTW MTW NTW
xbox live or psn: AlexisVixie

Post by ARC1778 »

Kingpin wrote:
Teancum wrote: As ambitious as this is, might I suggest that you chop some of this up and use a sort of milestone format? For example, plan for 1-2 maps, weapon-only tweaks, etc for the first iteration. Further iterations will interest more people and possibly get you help while yet adding more features.
That's what I have been focusing on. Getting a bit further in development, showing off some new units and a map I have been working on. Once I have more content, I bet more people are ready to help out, like you said.
I for one will look forward to I seeing it.