Copyright Rules (UPDATED: Jan 12, 2018)

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

AnthonyBF2
Sith
Sith
Projects :: PS2+PSP Overhaul

Re: Copyright Rules (UPDATED: Feb 16, 2016)

Post by AnthonyBF2 »

I would like to add that I still see the PSP specific Battlefront games being sold in the PSN (PlayStation Store)
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Yes, but I'd also lump these in with the Steam games like Jedi Academy. They're old, and they aren't money makers any more. It's more of a fan service that trickles in a bit here and there.
BF2-Master
Captain
Captain

Post by BF2-Master »

Might be worth noting but the LEGO Group is traditionally pretty lax about non-commercial usage of their properties, and in some cases even allows limited commercialization, such as the selling of instructions for unofficial models and customized minifigures. These are never formally endorsed but generally tolerated unless seen as some kind of threat to LEGO itself. I imagine a mod in the image of LEGO Star Wars (which I would be a thousand percent behind) would be much of an issue. All that said -- it's probably not worth trying to convert models from the LSW games, considering the minifigure designs are mostly very outdated and relatively easily recreated.

I'm not trying to suggest a policy change -- again, the conversions wouldn't be worth it -- but I just thought it might be useful for the record.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

They said it would be okay to create a Lego mod using completely new models anyway. I think they're just being careful. I do belive Complete Saga had better quality models though.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Re: NEW POLICY: Copyright Rules

Post by thelegend »

Copyright Rules wrote: Companies are actively trying to make money from this game
Indeed :lol:

I am glad there is now a fully and easy-to-understandable list which should automatically answer any questions regarding to Star Wars (Games) copyright rules/policies.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Aside from Battlefront EA for obvious reasons, does the "use as little as possible" rule still apply to newer material? IE, say I need Kylo Ren's mask. The rest of the body texture is easily duplicated using what we already have, but would it be okay to use Kylo Ren's mask texture from a mobile game? Of course, this question does not take into account any pre-existing Kylo Ren models out there made for other moddable games.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Yes, it still very much applies. There's an excellent Kylo Ren over at JKHub.org that's community-made. We always look for community stuff first. Also I didn't take into account the new mobile game (Star Wars: Uprising?) but suffice it to say that's off limits too as it's currently a focus of EA/Disney.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

Teancum wrote: There's an excellent Kylo Ren over at JKHub.org that's community-made. We always look for community stuff first.
https://jkhub.org/files/file/2431-epvii-kylo-ren/
This one? ;)
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Kingpin wrote:
Teancum wrote: There's an excellent Kylo Ren over at JKHub.org that's community-made. We always look for community stuff first.
https://jkhub.org/files/file/2431-epvii-kylo-ren/
This one? ;)
Yep. Those JKA modelers churn out a lot of impressive work, and quickly. It makes me wonder how they can churn out models so fast.
Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Athenova Campaign
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by Oceans14 »

I'm posting this to get clarification on whether or not I can use models from Battlefield 1942 (2002) by EA/Dice. I know the rules state that anything non-star wars should be left alone, but considering the age of the game, the fact that an sdk was released, and the fact that the game has been modded within that community, does that change anything? (I assume not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.) I should also point out that I'm not remaking bf1942 for battlefront or anything - I just want to use 2, at most 3 building models.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

No. It's still an EA IP.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

ggctuk is correct. We stay away from non-Star Wars games entirely. You can do that kind of work on your own, but it cannot be shown nor released here.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

Teancum wrote:ggctuk is correct. We stay away from non-Star Wars games entirely. You can do that kind of work on your own, but it cannot be shown nor released here.
I had a question about Lord of the Rings Conquest. I know that it is not a star wars game, but it was also made by Pandemic (and in Zero too, I believe).
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Kingpin wrote:
Teancum wrote:ggctuk is correct. We stay away from non-Star Wars games entirely. You can do that kind of work on your own, but it cannot be shown nor released here.
I had a question about Lord of the Rings Conquest. I know that it is not a star wars game, but it was also made by Pandemic (and in Zero too, I believe).
That is also EA, so I think the answer would again be no.
Oceans14
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: Athenova Campaign
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Post by Oceans14 »

Got it. I figured that would be the case, but wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help.
Isaac1138
Corporal
Corporal
Games I'm Playing :: BF1+2 stronghold

Post by Isaac1138 »

Since when did anyone convert Force Unleashed stuff? Although I would LOVE for someone to make a level close to one of them.
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

Isaac1138 wrote:Since when did anyone convert Force Unleashed stuff? Although I would LOVE for someone to make a level close to one of them.
viewtopic.php?f=64&t=32221
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=32209&start=100#p525007

Also, the OP needs to be updated.
swagmaster
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2

Post by swagmaster »

update main post plz, the main post is a bit outdated because updated eulas on newer star wars games allow porting on games like tfu, however be careful of more recent games still like ea battlefront
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Just a bit of a query here. I know how the rule goes as far as EA Battlefront things go. How far does that stretch? Does it stretch to using official promo images and screenshots of the game for textures? I only ask because Sereja recreated several of the EA weapons recently, and he did it without ripping a single polygon or texture from Battlefront, but I believe he did mention he had used either screenshots from the game or images released through EA's website, which are downloadable, for the textures.
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Kingpin »

ggctuk wrote:Just a bit of a query here. I know how the rule goes as far as EA Battlefront things go. How far does that stretch? Does it stretch to using official promo images and screenshots of the game for textures? I only ask because Sereja recreated several of the EA weapons recently, and he did it without ripping a single polygon or texture from Battlefront, but I believe he did mention he had used either screenshots from the game or images released through EA's website, which are downloadable, for the textures.
I think at this point, the matter becomes so trivial that it shouldn't matter. It is a picture of a texture, that would be ridiculous if it was flagged by EA.