Story of Destinia [Test Version 03/05/16]

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Story of Destinia [Test Version 03/05/16]

Post by thelegend »

Story of Destinia is an Open World RPG mod/map which takes place in Destinia, a large world full of different landscapes, cities and villages. The world is divided into three continents. Each one has it's own design and capital. But at one day the North Western Kindoms united and built up a dark empire which spreads fear and death across Destinia. They first begun capturing the Eastern Territories and then continued attacking the capital of Southern Destinia.
At one day they attacked a village. The home town of the playable main character: Saiko. Saiko is a teenage boy who had been living there for years but when the Grand Army of Darkness attacked his village while he was somewhere else he decided to fight and left the ruins of his old home. He began the search for a master who could be able to train him to become a true warrior. After his training was successful his master told him stories about everything what happened before his arrival. He gave Saiko a sword which must be activated to defeat the Lord of the Death by four magical gemstones which had been spreaded across the entire world. Saiko must find them all before it's too late...
Public Test Version
Hidden/Spoiler:
[code]Hey all,
I would like to share this Test Version with you. It's not a beta yet. But the first two chapters are already finished, there are already three playable skins and the map (First continent) is about 95% done. I lately finished the first City and before continuing the story and other things I would like to know what do you think about the Gameplay of this map? What do you think about this map, the characters, the overall setting..The dialogue, the plot etc. What do you like? What do you don't like? Is there something that is missing and really needs to be implemented?
I really apprectiate if you can answer me these questions and could give me your opinion about this map.

There are still some bugs and the player may stuck somewhere at some places but the campaign works fine so far. I didn't encounter any crashes or freezes during the first two chapters. The Load Funtion also works fine and if you want to explore the full map, having all weapons and skins (which are currently in) you just would need to walk into the cave (in the beginning) and load Chapter 3. Chapter 3 is just a placeholder chapter which starts after Chapter 2 was finished. There is alo an Objective. But it's just an unnessesary Go-to near the temple. You can ignore it. There is no Victory/Defeat yet. However during Chapter 2 there is a time limited mission. If you fail it then you will fail the mission and need to restart the map.

It is really important to read the readme first. It should tell you everything you need to know about this map so far for now.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ndu8u ... 0a/SOD.rar[/code]

World: The map is divided into three, large continents. Each continent must be locked by doing the campaign missions (Similair to the three Island System used by several GTA Games). All of them are unique to eachother but all belong to the world of Destinia.

Southern Destinia: Southern Destinia is the first continent which can be explored by the player. S.D. is a large island containing many ruins and natural landscapes. There are mountains, snowly tops, large grassy hills, rivers and inside the valley there is one island where an old ruin can be found. Next to Southern Destinia there are many islands which can be easly reached by boats. All places are connected by paths. Signs will tell the player where he can go and find certain locations if he get lost.
The capital of Sothern Destinia is the City of Light. The City of Light is a large city with palaces, towers and many buildings. The city is next to the sea.

Eastern Territories[Not in developement yet]: The Eastern Territories are large areas of different natural landscapes located in the East (and north). There are dry mountains, canyons and sandy dunes. In the South Eastern Territories there are Island groups and jungles. In the middle of E. T. there is another large capital: Yosai Salam. This city is surrouned by a group of mountains. Yosai Salam is the most peaceful place in Destinia.

North Western Kindoms[Not in developement yet]: Once divided into many kindoms there are only ruins of these great ages. The only powerful goverment in this region was located in the North. By unknown reasons and due to the lack of proofs a new regime has been created and others began to join them. They built up a dark empire. A new army was created: The Army of Darkness. This army is the biggest and strongest one of Destinia. While they became bigger and bigger other nations began to sanction them. Without success. One day they captured the Eastern Territories and Yosai Salam is now under occupation.

This is an Open World RPG map. The player can decide where he ants to go besides the missions. Several things can happen. Besides the Grand Army of Darkness there are still other major dangerous situations. During war-time many criminals now don't care who they rob or attack. There are also dangerous animals and creatures who normally don't hesitate to attack the player.
The player can talk to anyone at any time (Of course not during a fight or a certain mission). It is important to read everything. It is really important to understand the story, the people and what actually happens right now. Some missions will expect the player to think about right decisions. Sometimes the player has to go and ask people to continue the story (Especially during City Missions). Most people are friendly. Some others are in a bad mood. And some others won't hesitate to attack the player.

Weapons: There is a great variety of weapons in this map. The player will earn new weapons (and abilities) during the story. New magical powers will can be learned sooner as he continues the story. New melee attacks will also be included from time to time. But without all four magical gemstones the player won't be able to defeat the Lord of the Death. He is the main villian and also caused everything: The war, the assaults, the many deaths and more. If he gets defeated peace will return as the Grand Army of Darkness has no longer a valid leader and king.

Load Game: The player can load up any chapters right after the map has loaded. In front of the first spawn there is a hole which leads the player into a cave. Inside this cave there are floating numbers which have to be activated in order to load up any chapter. Right then the player has to walk through a magical gate and can spawn at any point again.

There are many new features and things to see and to do. The map is still in production as the story and characters also do. The first important parts are finished so far and can be set to be continued. There will only be one playable character but many different skins, armors and suits. All of them with there goods and bads (Armored Suits will give you more healthpoints but less energy and jump abilities). Special costumes will give you more freedoms. Some others will help you during certain situations. But mostly it's a player's choice what to wear now. Of course I recommend wearing armored suits during boss fights.

Sreenshots:

Map:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Story:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:

Teasers/Trailers:
First Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lZPJhEHkCg

Gameplay/Playthroughts:
Chapter 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8IsaCO_XAE
Chapter 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8AQ0T0xr3w

Currently there is only Campaign. But more modes are planned after the map+story has been finished.
Last edited by thelegend on Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Deviss
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Clone Wars Extended
Games I'm Playing :: BF2

Re: Story of Destinia

Post by Deviss »

you are a creative wizard, really cool idea :D
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

I have to say, you are really starting off 2016 with high expectations for your maps which is a major step in the right direction for experienced modders like yourself. I have said this time and again with every map you make but this just might be your best mod yet once it is all done and released. I look forward to more awesome mods/maps from you, you never disappoint when it comes to making great maps!
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Color me impressed. I think your story is mega-cheesy (which is fine), and your reach probably exceeds your grasp a little here (if only because of the limitations of a single map in ZE), but this is as novel a project as you've ever done. I'm really looking forward to seeing the end result.

Some advice? I'd really consider working on what your melee combat feels like if you're going to make that the centerpiece of your gameplay. The three-swing melee combo that's standard to SWBF2 will get really boring played out over a long time if that's all you have.
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate this :D
Maveritchell wrote:Color me impressed. I think your story is mega-cheesy (which is fine), and your reach probably exceeds your grasp a little here (if only because of the limitations of a single map in ZE), but this is as novel a project as you've ever done. I'm really looking forward to seeing the end result.

Some advice? I'd really consider working on what your melee combat feels like if you're going to make that the centerpiece of your gameplay. The three-swing melee combo that's standard to SWBF2 will get really boring played out over a long time if that's all you have.
I found some ways to deal with the limitations. For example one limit which could have destroyed this project was the Region Limit (70 Regions in total a mode). And regions are the most important things. They are needed for everything (Ambushes, OnEnterFunctions, Objective-wise, ambient sounds, polishes...). I cannot bypass this limit but some things can be "replaced". For example Ambient Sounds. Instead of 100 sound regions I place 100 static sounds as Objects (Still need some over-work though).
To talk to people the player can use "Talk/Investigate". Similar to your Talk System in Rebel Ops.
Trees: I plan on adding large forests. But forests take a huge amount of avaiable objects. So I will make treegroups having 10+ Trees (sv_, _lowrez with less poly's as possible). The terrain is also not a big issue at all. The only thing I hate are these edged textures at some places (Due to the three overlapping/layered textures).

Because of the three swing system: I was thinking about having a combat system similar to Dark Times. I still need to work out the combo's from certain weapons. My goal is to have more than three swings. Maybe about 5. And the fifth one would smash down an enemy completely. But it would cost some energy. New animations (Getting Up, Backslash..) were also planned.

==Edit==
Hey all,
it's has been a while since I updated something so here I am just going to link some videos showing the progress I made on the first City, the combo system and some other small details:

New Combo System: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2TVpv4XtSQ
City of Light - Palace: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWXxXonUy3k
City of Light - City Preview 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI79oT5PvjU

The city is strongly based on a 18s century village near a sea. There are fountains, chests/boxes, barrels, a canal and some markets. The player can spawn at a hotel with sight to the sea. There is also a blacksmith shop where the player might be able to upgrade or get newer weapons.
What do you think about this city so far?