Cato Neimoidia: Invasion Update 6/25/15

Working on a new map? Have a new mod out for swbf2?! Post an announcement of the up-coming release here.

Moderator: Moderators

Generalfacu
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront II KOTOR

Re: Cato Neimoidia: Invasion

Post by Generalfacu »

JazzMaster wrote:I haven't gotten the cloth to work on dev's Kota so thats why it looks a little funky. I do like Mav's Kota a lot better, but I'm not sure if i'd want the dark times hero combo set up (you cant block with your lightsaber).
I'm considering having Starkiller/Galen as the hero. I added the model Anakin released but it was too high quality for a map this huge and made the game lag a ton. So maybe i'll try the one in the Bfx assets.
Starkiller as a hero would be awesome. And if you are a daredevil you could try to add Baron Merillion Tarko as the Empire's hero or commander ;)
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

JazzMaster wrote:but I'm not sure if i'd want the dark times hero combo set up (you cant block with your lightsaber).
Are you nuts? That blocking is like the core of the melee system. See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yO1DMMV0BU (or read the docs that came with the mod)

I see people not know how to use it all the time, and I know why (people don't read readmes, even when you type them up and make them pretty with pictures). That said, AI block all the time with my combo system - you should know from that alone that you can block.
JazzMaster
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: Cato Neimoidia- Invasion
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefront 2
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by JazzMaster »

Okay wow, maybe i am little nutty. I realized that the light attack deflect could deflect enemy fire, but i didnt remember it being nearly as effective as it is as it had been a long time since i've played dark times. Guess i would of helped if i read the docs :oops:

The only thing that would keep me from loading your .lvls for your Kota (if thats okay. is that okay?) is that i've liked using the pointstounlock system for heroes instead of using the default hero set up. Perhaps i will go back to that set up, but with the ai able to play as a hero also.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

There's no real limitation to how they're used. I provide a list of what's in the .req file, so you can call each unit directly and set PointsToUnlock directly through the .lua. I think - personal opinion - that you'll have a better, more consistent experience if you simply add a Dark Times era to your map (so that all the units are balanced against each other), but that's just my opinion. Read through this thread to see what kinds of things you'd need to set up your script (or simply to read in the .req files). I'm happy to offer specific help if you run up against any issues.

Either way, it would restrict your mode to working with players that have the Dark Times mod active in their addon folder (since that's where it'll have to call the .lvl from). That's always worth taking into consideration.

And I hope I didn't sound overly critical about missing the blocking stuff - I'm serious when I say that I see people miss that all the time, and I don't mind offering a little information. It makes me a little sad when I see people block once and give up (because it's not what they expect) or press the fire button on a Force power and stop using it (because they never charged it up and thought it was weak), but that's no real skin off my back. The Jedi units are far and away more effective here, though - blocking is more flexible and controllable (you can move and do damage while doing it, and you can block melee), and Force powers are more powerful. (Sidebar: Try one of the really slow heroes, like Darth Vader. They're balanced so that their blocking is substantially easier to use - as a balancing factor for their slow speed - and they have a very different feel in crowds of opponents.)

Note: You mention using PointsToUnlock for the heroes. That's A-OK, and I used that a few times too (before Archer released his AIHeroSupport mod). Its chief advantage lay in having AI be able to use heroes, but the units cap system is very poor when it comes to having units with limits of 1. I think you'll - regardless of whether you're using Dark Times or not - have a much cleaner experience for the end user if you use AIHeroSupport (or if you write something else that smooths out when AI can and cannot access your unit-limit-of-one unit).
commanderawesome
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Skin Changer - Warfront - Other stuff
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF SWTOR KotOR EaW
xbox live or psn: AaTc_CmdrAwesome

Post by commanderawesome »

JazzMaster wrote: The only thing that would keep me from loading your .lvls for your Kota (if thats okay. is that okay?) is that i've liked using the pointstounlock system for heroes instead of using the default hero set up. Perhaps i will go back to that set up, but with the ai able to play as a hero also.
SetClassProperty("unit_odf_name", "PointsToUnlock", "40")
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

Maveritchell wrote:
JazzMaster wrote:but I'm not sure if i'd want the dark times hero combo set up (you cant block with your lightsaber).
Are you nuts? That blocking is like the core of the melee system. See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yO1DMMV0BU (or read the docs that came with the mod)

I see people not know how to use it all the time, and I know why (people don't read readmes, even when you type them up and make them pretty with pictures). That said, AI block all the time with my combo system - you should know from that alone that you can block.
I killed a mouse wheel with your combo :roll:
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Anakin wrote:I killed a mouse wheel with your combo :roll:

Must have been a pretty poor quality mouse then. :p
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

Yes i think so Image

or i played all the time with wheel klick....
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Anakin wrote:Image

That's an exceedingly appropriate smiley. Nice find. :funny2:
Generalfacu
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by Generalfacu »

Am I the only one around here that watched the tutorials and knew how to use the combos appropriately?!? :P BTW I loved the combo system of BFDT and the force knockback is awesome ;)
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

Hm well. I guess we should ride back to the topic.. :angel:
Nice pictures and update by the way.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

JazzMaster wrote:More GCW photos
Including Heros General Kota and Darth Vader, along with ground vehicles.
Hidden/Spoiler:
I dont think the model neeeds to be changed at all. All it needs is a nice re texture on the clothing to more brown colors. I dont think having to go through all that stuff with dark times is nessasary. I love dark times, but for those whom may not have it or dont wish to have it in their add on folders just for that specific unit, re-texturing a bit is a perfect option.
Generalfacu
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by Generalfacu »

Now THOSE are Cato Neimoidia buildings :thumbs: haha they look awesome! And the Imperial troops are also very nice :yes:
JazzMaster
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Post by JazzMaster »

Maveritchell wrote:There's no real limitation to how they're used. I provide a list of what's in the .req file, so you can call each unit directly and set PointsToUnlock directly through the .lua. I think - personal opinion - that you'll have a better, more consistent experience if you simply add a Dark Times era to your map (so that all the units are balanced against each other), but that's just my opinion. Read through this thread to see what kinds of things you'd need to set up your script (or simply to read in the .req files). I'm happy to offer specific help if you run up against any issues.

Either way, it would restrict your mode to working with players that have the Dark Times mod active in their addon folder (since that's where it'll have to call the .lvl from). That's always worth taking into consideration.
I probably wont use dark times units because of that same restriction you mentioned, that if you dont have dark times installed the map wont work. Dark Times is awesome, but I've been wanting to build my own unique but DT/TFU inspired sides using some of the great assets released here.
Maveritchell wrote: And I hope I didn't sound overly critical about missing the blocking stuff - I'm serious when I say that I see people miss that all the time, and I don't mind offering a little information. It makes me a little sad when I see people block once and give up (because it's not what they expect) or press the fire button on a Force power and stop using it (because they never charged it up and thought it was weak), but that's no real skin off my back. The Jedi units are far and away more effective here, though - blocking is more flexible and controllable (you can move and do damage while doing it, and you can block melee), and Force powers are more powerful. (Sidebar: Try one of the really slow heroes, like Darth Vader. They're balanced so that their blocking is substantially easier to use - as a balancing factor for their slow speed - and they have a very different feel in crowds of opponents.)
Oh no it's fine! I would imagine it would be a bit upsetting when a lot of people misunderstand a new and more effective feature you put in a lot of work to get right. I noticed the balancing right away when i tested out DT Kota against DT Vader in my map.
Maveritchell wrote: Note: You mention using PointsToUnlock for the heroes. That's A-OK, and I used that a few times too (before Archer released his AIHeroSupport mod). Its chief advantage lay in having AI be able to use heroes, but the units cap system is very poor when it comes to having units with limits of 1. I think you'll - regardless of whether you're using Dark Times or not - have a much cleaner experience for the end user if you use AIHeroSupport (or if you write something else that smooths out when AI can and cannot access your unit-limit-of-one unit).

The unit cap set to only 1 seems to work most of the time, but there always seems to be a point where it lets you spawn while another of the same unit is running around. Plus using that system lets you run around and hack away until you win once you reach your point limit, and that gets pretty boring. I think i'll try the AIHeroSupport for this map.

Reskinning the Kota might be cool, but i think anakin may or may not be working on lower poly starkiller model. :wink:
MikeTheBeast55
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Projects :: N.A.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF1 SWBF2 LOTR
xbox live or psn: MikeTheeBeast55

Post by MikeTheBeast55 »

Wow JazzMaster, your ambitious campaign to make another great map like your Suun Ra Desert City is really paying off! Your screenshots are always amazing and every single one of them are very well taken! I can not help but ask if the building are re-textured as a gold or a bronze color but nevertheless it looks great and gives a pretty good feeling to the map (even though I have not played it yet). Keep up the amazing works on your maps man, they are truly enjoyable!
Generalfacu
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by Generalfacu »

I must confess I play Suun Ra pretending it is Cato Neimoidia until you release this one :roll:
JazzMaster
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Re: Cato Neimoidia: Invasion - Update 10/31

Post by JazzMaster »

Huge Update

So the map enviroment itself is pretty much done and its looking great! Edited a lot of building, and floor textures and made my skyscraper's windows glow. There are still many kinks i have to work out with the plans and other issues, and probably more little modifications like editing skins etc. So it will still be at least a month or so until its release.
Made a lot of updates to the sides. The support trooper has its own custom blaster weapon. It's a semi-automatic burst fire rifle that i can only explain it as a cross between the commando pistol and award rifle.
There is also a new melee class.

Pictures!
Hidden/Spoiler:
Unit Classes
Hidden/Spoiler:
Soldier Class
-Standard Blaster Rifle
-Thermal Detonators
-Health/ammo

Neimoidian Soldier
Clone Trooper
Alliance Commando
Imperial Security Trooper

Heavy Trooper Class
-Standard blaster Rifle
-Rocket Launcher
-Mines
-Thermal Detonators
-Health/ammo

Clone Heavy Trooper
B1 Heavy Battle Droid
Alliance Heavy Trooper
Imperial Shocktrooper

Pilot/Engineer Class
-shotgun
-fusion cutter
-time bombs
-health/ammo

Armored Clone Pilot
B1 Engineer Droid
Imperial Pilot
Alliance Pilot

Support/Tech Class
-Custom Semi-automatic burst fire baster rifle
-fusion cutter
-Health/ammo
-detpacks
-thermal detonators
Clone Support Trooper
Neimoidian Support Trooper
Alliance Support/Technician
Imperial Support Commando

Sharpshooter Class
-Sniper rifle
-Commando Pistol
Secondary weapons TBA, they arent all that exciting yet.

Clone Recon Trooper
B1 battle droid Sniper
Alliance Sharpshooter
Imperial Scout

Special/Officer class
-weapons vary for each team

Jet Trooper
-Westar M5 Advanced Blaster rifle
-Mortar attachment
-health/ammo
-thermal detonators
BX Commando Droid
- E-6 commando rifle (my own kitbash)
-Bulldog homing missile attachment
-possibly BX vibrosword???
-health/ammo
-thermal detonators
Imperial Jump Trooper
-t-21 advanced blaster rifle
-mortar launcher
-health/ammo
-thermal detonators
Alliance Militia Elite
-DLT-19 modified Blaster rifle
-mortar attachment
-possible melee weapon
-health/ammo
-thermal detonators

Melee Class
-republic melee unit TBA

Magnaguard
Alliance Guard
Royal Guard
15Cyber
Private Second Class
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2

Re: Cato Neimoidia: Invasion Update 10/31/14

Post by 15Cyber »

Wonderful!! :eek:
thelegend
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Star Wars - Battlefront III Legacy
Games I'm Playing :: Swbf GTA CoD LoL KH
xbox live or psn: El_Fabricio#

Post by thelegend »

Wow. I am just speechless. This map looks so beatiful, awesome...the units and the map design look so amazing. I still don't have the map but I already love it.
[Padawan]Helkaan
Sith
Sith
Projects :: Dunno. Maybe making something
Games I'm Playing :: Some.

Post by [Padawan]Helkaan »

Man this is just. Freakin'. Huge. I though mixing up assets from so much different worlds wouldn't give anything, but you did it and it's wonderful.
On these pictures the map looks so... "full". There's no place that isn't filled with a building or a tree or other decoration; it gives a serious consistency to your map and it's super effective. It really looks like a great busy city. Hats off.