Conversion Pack 2.2 Patch (Public Release)

Discuss and catch up on anything related to the SWBF1 Conversion Pack

Moderator: Moderators

PyroJockey
Private Recruit
Projects :: Conversion Pack 2.2 dedicated server
Games I'm Playing :: Descent 1 2 and 3
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: Conversion Pack 2.2 Patch (Public Release)

Post by PyroJockey »

Maveritchell wrote:Are you sure those are the modes seeing issues? They seem to work as they should in SP, and what you're describing ("spawn points for the KOR") isn't even a part of Endor KotOR hunt (it's just Ewoks vs. Sith troopers).
You are correct, my mistake. The mission was end1k_eli, Endor Bunker, Jedi Assault with Knights Of the Republic.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

What you're seeing is (for some reason) your server not fully loading the missions. Both of the missions you indicate (and dozens of others) use the conquest layer natively but then modify that in the script to disable the capture regions. Both of those missions work as they should in SP (I just checked) and both indicate that they disable the capture regions in the script (again, just checked). I'm not sure what on a dedicated server could cause the errors you're seeing, but I'd have two questions:

1) Is this the only mod you're trying to run on your dedicated server?

2) Are these errors repeatable (i.e. can you start up the server with just that map and still see the same error)?

If the answer to the first is "yes," I'd assume that you're getting some interplay there with custom units from some other mod overwriting what the map scripts are calling for (both of the maps you've indicated pull from stock sides - Gungans and Ewoks). If the answer to the second question is "no," I'd assume that you're seeing some kind of mod fatigue - depending on the type and quantity of mod maps run, you can start to use more memory than the game has available, and stuff can/will stop loading. There's no real way around that, and no one really understands it very well.
PyroJockey
Private Recruit

Post by PyroJockey »

Maveritchell wrote: 1) Is this the only mod you're trying to run on your dedicated server?

2) Are these errors repeatable (i.e. can you start up the server with just that map and still see the same error)?
The conversion pack 2.2 is the only mod running on the server. The error was repeatable withing the same server session, restarting the map but not the server. I will try the suggested test with just the one mission after a restart.

My intent is to host a dedicated server exclusively for the conversion pack 2.2 missions. I currently have a test server on line that just cycles through the conversion pack mission list. So far I've identified about 60+ maps that consistently crash the dedicated server on loading. Is this typical?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

PyroJockey wrote:My intent is to host a dedicated server exclusively for the conversion pack 2.2 missions. I currently have a test server on line that just cycles through the conversion pack mission list. So far I've identified about 60+ maps that consistently crash the dedicated server on loading. Is this typical?
Your guess is as good as mine. There's a lot of inherent instability to the Conversion Pack because of its size and its volume of legacy work (it's passed hands a lot). Likewise, I couldn't do any robust multiplayer testing, because there's zero server mod support (i.e. everyone testing has to download and install a patch update for themselves - there's no real server pushing of files, as you know). Consequently, there are only even two or three mods that might have the userbase penetration to even be viable on an MP server (to be fair, one those is the Conversion Pack) - really, MP mod support for this game is a bummer.

Are you seeing a trend in terms of maps/modes that bork your server? I'm obviously not going to push changes to the pack this late in the game (happy 5-year anniversary, Conversion Pack 2.0!), but I can probably help you identify causes and let you potentially patch in via userscripts (the 1.3 patch supports these).
PyroJockey
Private Recruit

Post by PyroJockey »

Maveritchell wrote: 2) Are these errors repeatable (i.e. can you start up the server with just that map and still see the same error)?
Yes they are repeatable. I ran just the end1k_eli Endor Bunker Jedi Assault KOR mission on a clean server running on my LAN. Initially there was no issue. I could not capture any command posts. I left it run unattended for a while with some AI. When I returned all the bases were captured. I do not know all the variables. It is my observation that initially the control points cannot be captured. After a period of time that changes. In one case all the control points were captured by the Republic. Other times they are captured by the Sith. When the control posts are captured it is possible to re-capture them. The one instance I noticed that 5 out of 6 command posts appeared to be changing simultaneously. Command post #6 was the exception. This one is different that the rest in that it's a major control zone. I don't know if that is just coincidence. I also noticed a number of Ewoks clustered around the command post in the bunker when all the command posts were changing. Again it could be a coincidence.

I may be able to address this by HEX editing the end1.lvl file to disable the capture regions for the command posts. This would be a server side only edit, no download required. I've done this with the PS2 version, created a speeder bike race out of Endor conquest.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

PyroJockey wrote:
Maveritchell wrote: 2) Are these errors repeatable (i.e. can you start up the server with just that map and still see the same error)?
I may be able to address this by HEX editing the end1.lvl file to disable the capture regions for the command posts. This would be a server side only edit, no download required. I've done this with the PS2 version, created a speeder bike race out of Endor conquest.
If you kill the capture regions, you're going to be doing the same to the conquest mode. See my post in your other thread - you've got an error on install that's likely related to why you're seeing this.
PyroJockey
Private Recruit

Post by PyroJockey »

Maveritchell wrote:If you kill the capture regions, you're going to be doing the same to the conquest mode. See my post in your other thread - you've got an error on install that's likely related to why you're seeing this.
Thanks. I am pursuing the installation route.

FYI, Killing the capture regions on Endor made no difference on the PS2 version since it only had 1 conquest mission on Endor. If I were kill the capture regions on the PC version I do so in a renamed copy of the end1.lvl file and HEX edit the mission file to use that map for that particular mission. It's another server side no-download method that I've done extensively for the PS2 version, especially with the sides. Modding the PS2, when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.
WiseKitsune
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

Post by WiseKitsune »

I'm not sure if this was a bug caused by me or by ODF misconfiguration, but I loaded 200 or so cis_inf_commander into a map and couldn't help but notice that they weren't shooting at me at all. At least not at close range. I changed it to cis_inf_recon and they used weapons as expected though.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

AI memory is shared, so the more that are loaded, the more weird things can get. With so many spawned it's hard to tell what happened.
WiseKitsune
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by WiseKitsune »

I tried loading cis_inf_recon onto a team via user script. I only added 1 of it, and when I spawned in I couldn't fire its sniper rifle. In the log it said:

Message Severity: 3
C:\Battlefront2\main\Battlefront2\Source\Weapon.cpp(1719)
Weapon "cis_weap_inf_recon_sniper_rifle" missing ordnance 0.000000 "cis_weap_inf_sniper_rifle_ord"

Is this me doing something wrong or an oversight from the modpack makers?

edit:
solved, I needed to load cis_inf_sniper first despite the fact that it was being loaded later for that map anyway