Every stock SWBF2 & SWBF1 sound effect

Releasing the source files for your mod or map? Post em' here. (Applies to both SWBF1 & SWBF2)

Moderator: Moderators

Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Every stock SWBF2 & SWBF1 sound effect

Post by Marth8880 »

Contrary to this post...

Right now, you're probably all like " :o ". Well, you guessed what was coming and what would eventually happen sooner or later; I managed to extract all of the stock sound effects from the game! :o This was actually extremely easy: All I did was go into Audacity and import common.bnk (found in GameData\data\_lvl_pc\sound\) as raw data under a 22050 Hz, signed 16-bit PCM, little-endian byte order, single-channel format, and...

Anyway, the sounds are all rooted in one, large, ~thirty-minute-long Wave file since that's simply how the sounds were extracted. WULF and I are currently working on separating all of the individual sounds out, so can expect that eventually as well. If you want to separate the sounds out yourself, you want to open up the Wave file in Audacity, find the sound you want, highlight it, go to File>Export Selection..., choose a name for the file and export it as "WAV (Microsoft) signed 16-bit PCM".

Left-click link to listen, right-click>Save As... link to save: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38430663/SWBF2/common.wav

SWBF1: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/38430663/SWBF2/common_swbf1.wav

I am currently working on extracting the streams; right now when the method mentioned above is used, I sort of get the streams, but there is a TON of (white) noise in the way and the actual streams are hardly audible at all.

SWBF1 common.bnk sounds split and named

Hero VO
CIS VO
Republic VO from the PS2 version

Imperial VO
Imperial VO Part 2
Imperial VO Officer

Native VO

Alliance VO PT1
Alliance VO PT2
Alliance Sniper VO
Alliance Wookie VO

SWBF2 Sound effects
SWBF Sounds Partially Sorted

VO from SWBF1
SWBF1 VO (split up)

Stock ambient streams
Last edited by Marth8880 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
yuke5
Field Commander
Field Commander
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 TF2 RC KOTOR
xbox live or psn: My steam is yuke5.

Re: Every stock SWBF2 sound effect

Post by yuke5 »

You're right, I am all like, " :o "

Yeah, but this really exciting. Thanks for sharing!
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Awesome find, guys! :shock:
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Marth and I are separating the 30 minute long wav right now. I'm taking the first half, he's taking the second. Once we're done we'll release the entire pack.

One thing we need to get clear though. These can only be used in the two Battlefronts and other Star Wars games like the Jedi Knight series. There can be no porting to other games like Fallout 3, Crysis, Call of Poopy, or any other games. No exceptions. No junior moderating, please. -Staff:u
Last edited by THEWULFMAN on Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

YES! Now the Xbox mod can continue (If I get time). This was the biggest hurdle, not having the original source files.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Re: Every stock SWBF2 & SWBF1 sound effect

Post by Marth8880 »

Thanks, guys! For a status update, I only have about 5 minutes of audio (33%) left to separate out on my half (minus some unit kinematic foley as that's less important). Also, I've updated the first post with all of the SWBF1 sound banks, so you can check that out, too. :o
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Just curious - when you separate things out are you going back to the original filenames? If so you deserve a big fat kiss (just not from me)!

*EDIT*

Just listened to bits of the SWBF wav. I wonder how they did the low/med/high sounds for vehicles, I didn't hear too many variants. Must all be done by the snd config files. Also, anyone recall where the general VO is stored? (I'm away from my home PC). I'd love to sort through it. I'll have to pull this trick on the individual SWBF1 map bnks too so we can pull out the objective VO for the classic maps.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Well... that'd be nearly impossible(just not actually). I mean, if Marth and I worked really hard, we might be able to figure out all the right file names. We don't even know what some of the sounds are, for goodness sake. Not to mention the fact that there are loads of unused sounds.

So unless we get paid(which isn't going to happen), we're probably not going to make that happen. Sorry.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Fair enough. I'll probably do my own spinout then since without reintegrating them as original wavs I won't be able to build my new banks. I'll share whatever I do set up. Heck, maybe (if I get that far) I can just set up a "stock" sound bank like Pandemic had set up. It'd be useful for me, and maybe someone else can find it helpful, too--even though the PC version includes all shipped sounds as a common file.

On second thought, maybe I'll wait to see what you guys produce, then rename them accordingly. I have a special side set up to allow me to test individual sounds in-game with no other noise. All I have to do is change sound calls in the side as necessary. (Ex: if I have the x-wing engine as my blaster fire, it'll make the x-wing sound when I fire) I can match it from there.

Man, it'll feel great to be useful again. :thumbs:
GAB
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by GAB »

Now this is really cool. Looking forward to this.

Marth, recently I had some free time and I managed to get individual samples for all the ambient soundstreams used in BF2 (except the ones in space maps). Do you think they could be useful to you?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Okay, so a bit of research here. The SWBF2 wav is basically compiled by parsing through each subdirectory for any .asfx or .sfx files. It's an not quite a 1:1 matchup, but basically you can follow the file names for each sound by following through these files in order:

\BF2_Tools\data\Sound\shell\shell.sfx
\BF2_Tools\data\Sound\worlds\cor\cor1cw.sfx
\BF2_Tools\data\Sound\worlds\cor\cor1gcw.sfx
\BF2_Tools\data\Sound\worlds\dag\dag1cw.sfx
\BF2_Tools\data\Sound\worlds\dag\dag1gcw.sfx
\BF2_Tools\data\Sound\worlds\dea\dea1cw.sfx
\BF2_Tools\data\Sound\worlds\dea\dea1gcw.sfx
etc...

**EDIT**
I'm about three minutes into 30 on ripping sounds. The good thing is a lot of sounds repeat themselves later on (for example, a lot of the foley and weapon sounds). I'm ripping w/filenames intact based on my research and so far am only missing about five sounds. I can confirm that common.bnk just follows a pattern. It goes through the folders alphabetically and parses through each .asfx or .sfx, which means that you just need to follow a given *sfx file to figure out what the sound is called.

I'll post my files once complete, which should be about 95% accurate to the originals. I've been making notes in regards to missing sounds or ones I'm not sure about as well, so it should be easy to fill in the blanks. Don't expect the SWBF2 sounds for at least a week (and that's given that I have time each night to work on it). After that I'll hit up the SWBF1 sounds (are there any unique ones?) then VO.
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: WIP. I will reveal what it is later on..
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-SWRC

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

Fantastic work Marth and Ace. :thumbs:
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

Nice work guys! I'm especially looking forward to the separated vehicle sounds. :D
The voice-overs are in global.lvl which unfortunately we can't extract yet because sound files containing streams seemingly can't be read the same as files containing only effects.
Marth8880
Resistance Leader

Post by Marth8880 »

Teancum wrote:**EDIT**
I'm about three minutes into 30 on ripping sounds. The good thing is a lot of sounds repeat themselves later on (for example, a lot of the foley and weapon sounds). I'm ripping w/filenames intact based on my research and so far am only missing about five sounds. I can confirm that common.bnk just follows a pattern. It goes through the folders alphabetically and parses through each .asfx or .sfx, which means that you just need to follow a given *sfx file to figure out what the sound is called.

I'll post my files once complete, which should be about 95% accurate to the originals. I've been making notes in regards to missing sounds or ones I'm not sure about as well, so it should be easy to fill in the blanks. Don't expect the SWBF2 sounds for at least a week (and that's given that I have time each night to work on it). After that I'll hit up the SWBF1 sounds (are there any unique ones?) then VO.
Well, WULF is already getting close to being done with the first 15 minutes of the SWBF2 sounds, and I'm already done with my half (minus two thirds or three quarters of the unit kinematic foley). However, the way you are doing it (with the names and such) could be somehow merged with all of the sounds we already ripped, I think.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Depends on how you guys named them. If they're still in the original order somehow then I can use em'.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Not really. We sent out to organize them by what the sounds themselves were.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

I haven't modded in a while soI could be wrong, but isn't .bnk the format of the sound banks before they go into the LVL files?

I've separated out a few of the Unit SFX, and given them their original names (not that hard to guess), I've even done the AT walker foot sounds.

EDIT @ Teancum: The sniper rifle sounds in BF1 are different to those in BF2 - each faction's is unique. Don't know if BF2 keeps these sounds but doesn't use them though.

EDIT: Silly me. We DO have weapon sounds :?
Last edited by giftheck on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cleb
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Learning how to use 3DS Max
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CIV4 MC
xbox live or psn: ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙. ˙

Post by Cleb »

Well, I was all like, " :o ", but now I'm more all like, " :shock: ". Anyways, this is awesome! :thumbs:
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Scanning through SoundFLMunge.exe and doing some research I'm pretty sure the streams are stored in IMA ADPCM format. See

http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=IMA_ADPCM
and SoundFLMunge.exe (see around offset 1D304 in a hex editor)
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

Seems like BF1 and BF2 use different sample rates for certain samples.