SWBF Series Model Showcase Thread 5th Edition

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: SWBF Series Model Showcase Thread 5th Edition

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Kitbash I made, TCW style obiwan
Hidden/Spoiler:
ImageImageImageImage
Credits
ANDEWEGET: The arms and legs
Darth_Spiderpig: For the TCW obiwan head and skin
Firefang
Major
Major

Post by Firefang »

Very nice :thumbs:
Lephenix

Post by Lephenix »

Very good to both :thumbs: .
Darth_Spiderpig
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Something cool...
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CoDBO BFBC2
xbox live or psn: Has no xbox....Yup

Post by Darth_Spiderpig »

Looks very good wulf, but I think you should get some variation to the cloth (skirt thing) not to look too painty. :) :thumbs:
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

i like it it's much better than only paiting the robe white
Labj
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: Halo 4
xbox live or psn: SiulS2409

Post by Labj »

Try to make the kama thing look like fabric, you can try the canvas filer, and then blurring it a bit.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Labj wrote:Try to make the kama thing look like fabric, you can try the canvas filer, and then blurring it a bit.
I had it looking much more like real cloth before, but changed it to this. The real cloth look just didnt really work.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Thanks for all your comments :D
Cerfon Rournes
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: WIP. I will reveal what it is later on..
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2-SWRC
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Cerfon Rournes »

Awesome! Great Obi WULFMAN! 8)
VF501
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Projects :: Various Stuff- Weapon models. UDK Stuff
Games I'm Playing :: Fallout New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Vintage Tagious

Post by VF501 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:Finally got around to making this for Slime615, anyone know what it is?
Hidden/Spoiler:
ImageImageImage

Your edgeflow and poly spam makes my eyes bleed. You can really clean that up allot, and make it more effective and neat without the bad edges.

Example. Whipped up in 10min to illustrate more efficient use of polygons, and better edgeflow. Still not 100% optimum though. Except for the parts I haven't cleaned up in the center, every edge adds to the shape of the model and does not cross back into the mesh in a messy way like the area around your trigger guard does. Study this kind of thing and practice it to improve your work. The more you do, and the more new things you try the better you get.

890 triangles
Hidden/Spoiler:
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

VF501 wrote:
THEWULFMAN wrote:Finally got around to making this for Slime615, anyone know what it is?
Hidden/Spoiler:
ImageImageImage

Your edgeflow and poly spam makes my eyes bleed. You can really clean that up allot, and make it more effective and neat without the bad edges.

Example. Whipped up in 10min to illustrate more efficient use of polygons, and better edgeflow. Still not 100% optimum though. Except for the parts I haven't cleaned up in the center, every edge adds to the shape of the model and does not cross back into the mesh in a messy way like the area around your trigger guard does. Study this kind of thing and practice it to improve your work. The more you do, and the more new things you try the better you get.

890 triangles
Hidden/Spoiler:
I honestly dont know what to make of this. I am going to censor myself of any misunderstanding and be as delicate as I can. I have not optimized the model yet, but I made it like so to be as acurate to the texture I was useing. Mainly because I was useing the texture as a reference. I need to rip all the extra vertices off, and redo the faces, but otherwise I am happy with my work. I dont understand what you mean by bad edges. I have many of my models ingame, and I have an extremely low-end cp, and do not have any more lag than I would with a stock model.
Sky_216
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Sky_216 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:
VF501 wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
ImageImageImage

890 triangles
Hidden/Spoiler:
I honestly dont know what to make of this. I am going to censor myself of any misunderstanding and be as delicate as I can. I have not optimized the model yet, but I made it like so to be as acurate to the texture I was useing. Mainly because I was useing the texture as a reference. I need to rip all the extra vertices off, and redo the faces, but otherwise I am happy with my work. I dont understand what you mean by bad edges. I have many of my models ingame, and I have an extremely low-end cp, and do not have any more lag than I would with a stock model.
He's talking about from a good-modelling-practice perspective rather than a-getting it working-ingame perspective.

@VF501 - that was a tad rude, not everyone has had some kind of formal education in CGI. Also why the extra detail at the front of the barrel? Seems really pointless, especially if the focus was a low-poly model....
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Sky_216 wrote:He's talking about from a good-modelling-practice perspective rather than a-getting it working-ingame perspective.

@VF501 - that was a tad rude, not everyone has had some kind of formal education in CGI. Also why the extra detail at the front of the barrel? Seems really pointless, especially if the focus was a low-poly model....
He was blunt, but the goal is instruction. No, not everyone has formal 3D art training. That should make the expertise of those who do (or those who simply have more experience) that much more valuable. Don't read too much into a brusque post - being complimentary is always welcomed, but hugs and rainbows all the time can have a negative effect, too.

As a general rule, it is good to take instruction in stride if you are less experienced. As a general rule, it is good to give instruction with the understanding that those to whom you are giving it have vastly different levels of experience than you may. Let's move on from here.
Slime615
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by Slime615 »

Hey Hey Hey! I made this request of WULFMAN. I am Entirley Happy with his work. If you compare it to the references I gave hi:
Hidden/Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Officialy, there should be a Dial on the other side, but regardless, this model is far more cannon then the linemodel you produced. This. Is. How. It. Is. Meant. To. Look.

Imagine you go up to an Artist, and told him Your shading and perspective makes my eyes bleed.

Well, I am sure he would not be happy. If you hate it then, fine, just accept that others like it, and be fine with it!

Hey, maybe you just meant to be helpfull, maybe you just wanted to give some friendly advice. I am sure He would be glad to listen to you, but seriously. If you have an Idea, or surgestion, then offer it as a friendly tip! I know WULFMAN, he is not afraid of Constructive Critisism, but there is no need to be like that about it!

Just a Hint.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Sky_216 wrote: He's talking about from a good-modelling-practice perspective rather than a-getting it working-ingame perspective.

I dont want to sound like I am just agreeing because he said it, but yeah. I was kinda insulted. Was my method bad, yes, was my results good, I think so. And I did not even include a tube inside the barrell like I normally do to save polys.
Maveritchell wrote: He was blunt, but the goal is instruction. No, not everyone has formal 3D art training. That should make the expertise of those who do (or those who simply have more experience) that much more valuable. Don't read too much into a brusque post - being complimentary is always welcomed, but hugs and rainbows all the time can have a negative effect, too.

As a general rule, it is good to take instruction in stride if you are less experienced. As a general rule, it is good to give instruction with the understanding that those to whom you are giving it have vastly different levels of experience than you may. Let's move on from here.
I Concur :plokoon:

when anyone asks why I have come so far in so little time, I answer that half is that I have had alot of experianced people give me advice. I always listen, I just felt that it could have been worded more diplomatically.

[begin non offtopic stuff]

I am still working on the texture and uvs, but here is my improved Gun of Command model.
Hidden/Spoiler:
ImageImageImage

At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.

Lol, look at this Slime615, I just added the dail. I never got that second ref pic, I pulled mine off of wookiepedia.Thanks though :wink:
Lephenix

Post by Lephenix »

It is much better , and vf501's advices are always nice and helpfull for me , i will take CG class if i can after , i want to be infographiste 3D .
FragMe!
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Not sure keep changing my mind.
Games I'm Playing :: F1 and SWBF

Post by FragMe! »

Poly reduced version looks good.

A couple of hints or tips. Doing a poly reducition on the pistol grip to the extent that there are only a couple of lines doesn't really do anything other than make it look like there is less polies.
The exporter will still triangulate the whole model so whether you add in the lines or the exporter adds in the lines the tri count everyone is always worried about is the same.

What you should try and do is work in quads, 4 sided polygons (preferred) or tris if quads can't be achieved. What you should try to avoid is 5 sided or more polygons most game engines like it better if there aren't any.

Now if you say well it is just making into tris anyway why worry about it well I am a control freak and would rather determine how the geometry is cut up as opposed to an exporter because a line that should run diagonally left to right that the exporter decides to do right to left will change the "look" of the geometry in game.

Another tip, especially on the backs of weapons is to avoid sharp rises in the geomerty, close to vertical, as these tend to disappear in game. A way around this is (once you have the geomerty the way you like following the tips above) is to triangulate the model prior to export. That function is in XSI not sure what the blender equivalent is.

Regardless keep up the good work.
VF501
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Projects :: Various Stuff- Weapon models. UDK Stuff
Games I'm Playing :: Fallout New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Vintage Tagious

Post by VF501 »

@Wulfman, Sky. I apologize if I came off as rude (side effect of a 1am morning post :P). I'll elaborate on the areas of concern that I was initially looking at.

By Bad edges, I mean ones that add nothing to the model shape wise, are just excess, or edges that go nowhere and lack any use as support or detail. Such as the ones near the trigger in the original. Which you cleaned up well enough with the revised model.

The other area of concern is you are poly spamming the barrels. This is a model for a low poly game, and from a 1st person perspective, much of the barrel is unseen. You have a 18 sided cylinder for each barrel from the looks of the pictures. That is way to much unneeded polys. Minimum sides to a cylinder for a Low-Poly to make it look round is around 12 sides. There is a big tri count difference between a 12 sided and a 18 sided cylinder. While Zeroengine can handle it, it is always good practice to make optimised Low meshes, to reduce load across a variety of computers.

The "clean up after" excuse is weak (not trying to sound rude), especially since you already moved to the UVW and Texturing process. Cleanup happens after the Low is finished but before UVW, it's a more efficient and effective workflow. There is always room for improvement, and taking any valid critiques and working with those will make you a better artist. All hugs and rainbows will not allow you to improve your work as it makes you satisfied with its current level. Always have the ambition to do more and better.

In general for low meshes, it is best to think of the major shapes that contribute to the silhouette of the model/object/whatever. Then you build around that concept. Working from the major shapes first, avoids "bad edges" and reduces the cleanup work needed. Work smarter, not harder.

Example: This is the base for the PPSH-41 stock, Every edge has a purpose, it either defines a shape, supports a shape, or it is a support edge for the Sub-Division Op.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Note* I have no formal training. Much of what I know is from practice, various online sources and lurking on many a 3D art forum.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I really do appreciate advice, and thanks. I have only been modeling for 4 months, I am still pretty new at it. Its a good thing you never saw my DC17 carbine in the last version of this thread, the ammount of sides on the barrel would have made your head explode. :shock: :P
It was my third weapon model and went overboard on the sides for sure. I will get better with experiance.

@FragMe!
Blender actually does a great job keeping every single face intact if you convert from quads to traingles. Thx for your advice.

I am always improving, and will someday maximize quality and poly count. My z6 model wasnt to bad, I shouldnt have added the little points on the front of all 6 barrells, that was my biggest mistake. But the rest wasnt too bad. My RPS-6 Model wasnt to00 bad, but I had an extra cylinder on top of the model with 3x the amount of needed polys.

Now, to show a model I did before the gun of command.
There are some bad edges I regret, but I learned alot from these last two models.
Cad Banes Persuader pistol model.
Hidden/Spoiler:
ImageImageImage
Epifire
First Lance Corporal
First Lance Corporal
Projects :: Supplies Outpost
xbox live or psn: SirEpifire

Post by Epifire »

Very nice Wulfman, I haven't seen a nice line of pistols in quite some time. So you can say its refreshing to see accurate weapons still being made they way the were meant to.

I swear if BF 1 had the ability to pick up weapons, I would snatch one of those from some one else and go around like Han Solo on a rampage. :runaway: But as I said very nice indeed, my only thoughts are where the source textures came from on those cause they look great.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

Bane's looks like a combination of several stock textures, or, at least 2.
The barrel might be a little hipoly, but mostly looks ok. For most blaster barrel sized cylindars, I use 8 sides, it's small, but enough that the sides are rendered smooth. since my A295 barrel was so thin, though, I had used 6 sides for part of it, even though its rendered hard edged.
I like. :thumbs: