SketchUp to XSI to SWBF2 tutorial [updated for 7.1]

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Commander_Fett
High General
High General
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

SketchUp to XSI to SWBF2 tutorial [updated for 7.1]

Post by Commander_Fett »

Okay, here's what need to happen if you plan on getting your SketchUp models from the free version into SWBF2.

Video tutorial (OUTDATED, version 7.1)HERE, or text tutorial below.
Movie maker rendered it impossible to read the stuff, but you should be able to get the gist with this tutorial.

Tutorial for Sketchup Free version 8.0
1: With your model open in sketchup, go to file/export/3D model and make sure the dropdown menu says collada/.dae. Hit export. Now, go to the file you exported them to.
2: Sketchup exports textures as texture1, texture2, etcetera, so we need to fix that. Open up the .dae file in a text editor, go to the bottom, and where it lists the textures replace texture0, texture1, etc. Now, go back to the folder and open up the .tga files and rename them to what you want, then replace the names in the .dae with those of your textures.
3: Open XSI Modtool and go to file/crosswalk/import and import your model. If you are familiar with XSI, set up the model as it should be and export through crosswalk (making sure to scale down the model by .03 before exporting, if your model is scaled to the sketchup person). If you are new to xsi or need help, here is a short tutorial on how to prepare the model.
Hidden/Spoiler:
SketchUp exports the model as a bunch of different chunks, instead of one big model, so you will need to select all the chunks in the explorer view, then click create>polymesh>merge. Make sure to click both merge buttons and then delete. Now it should be fine.
Now, you need to scale down the model. The human in Sketchup is a lot bigger than the SWBF2 soldier, so scale down accordingly. 0.03 seems to be a good scale factor if your model is in proportion to the SketchUp man.
Freeze transforms by selecting the transform tab on the right side bar and select freeze all transforms.
Create a new null, rename it dummyroot, and move the Polymesh under dummyroot in the explorer window.
4: Use RepSharpshooter's Meshex Beta 3 to convert the model to msh and you're ready to go!

Important notes:
***Make sure youre faces are pointing in the correct direction before exporting (white side is what the player will see, blue they will not)***
If you're having problems with collision, create an option file with -donotmergecollision for the model, and adjust the date stamp on the .msh so it will munge. (This is recomended for every model, though not always necessary.)
If your model is gigantic or is so big you can't even see it, make sure you remembered to scale down the model and freeze transforms before exporting.
XSI doesn't like Sketchup's groups, so if parts of your model are in a group, explode them before exporting.

This is for the people who can't get XSI to work, or like the ease of making models and applying textures in SketchUp, or both, like me. :P I hope this helps you SketchUp users.
Thanks go to FragMe!, DarthD.U.C.K., Obiboba3po, Bobfinkl, and kinetosimpetus for helping me with the xsi portion of this when my comp wouldn't run xsi. Also thanks to RepSharpshooter for MeshEx.
I put a lot of work into figuring some of this stuff out, so please don't claim this tut as your own- Commander_Fett
Last edited by Commander_Fett on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:35 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Gogie
Modeling Master
Modeling Master
Projects :: Tinkering away with LEGO

Re: sketchup to XSI to SWBF2 tutorial

Post by Gogie »

ofcoarse though why would you want to import a model that you make on another program? sure you maybe familiar with the program and it's handeling, but I mean then you have any where from double to triple the poly count upon exportation, it's easier to just make the model and get used to a different programs operations, not worth the time or effort to reduce poly's, anyone who would want to port from sketch up would just want to port another model from another person. aside from that I can't find a use for this tut.
RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by RogueKnight »

Gogie wrote:ofcoarse though why would you want to import a model that you make on another program? sure you maybe familiar with the program and it's handeling, but I mean then you have any where from double to triple the poly count upon exportation, it's easier to just make the model and get used to a different programs operations, not worth the time or effort to reduce poly's, anyone who would want to port from sketch up would just want to port another model from another person. aside from that I can't find a use for this tut.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this, but I will point out that this tutorial is very helpful for beginner modelers. Sketchup is a very easy program to learn, and I myself have exported my share of sketchup models into battlefront. If someone wants to use a modeling program that they are familiar with to model, and want to know how to get it ingame, this is how they do it!
anyone who would want to port from sketch up would just want to port another model from another person
Well, that isn't true, as that makes the incorrect assumption that anyone who ports a model from sketchup to XSI is stealing someone elses model, and is completely irrelevant to the discussion.
then you have any where from double to triple the poly count upon exportation,
From my experience, this proves not to be true. Though I have not talen time to get it ingame yet, my KITT model only pulls 2845 polys, which is less than a similar model made in 3DS which has 3474. While my model may not be as detailed, it is still very similar to appearance to the 3DS model.
lucasfart
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Re: SketchUp to XSI to SWBF2 tutorial

Post by lucasfart »

just wondering. How do you invert the polies and invert with blender and what would happen if you didn't do it at all.
RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.

Post by RogueKnight »

lucasfart wrote:just wondering. How do you invert the polies and invert with blender and what would happen if you didn't do it at all.
If you don't do it at all then your model won't work correctly.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

lucasfart wrote:just wondering. How do you invert the polies and invert with blender and what would happen if you didn't do it at all.
You need to become familiar with normals when dealing with 3d objects.
obiboba3po
2008 Most Technically Challenging Avatar

Post by obiboba3po »

Gogie wrote:ofcoarse though why would you want to import a model that you make on another program? sure you maybe familiar with the program and it's handeling, but I mean then you have any where from double to triple the poly count upon exportation, it's easier to just make the model and get used to a different programs operations, not worth the time or effort to reduce poly's, anyone who would want to port from sketch up would just want to port another model from another person. aside from that I can't find a use for this tut.
i pretty much agree with that. it takes quite a bit of effort to get sketch to XSI to swbf2, its not like its the end of the world to just use XSI. but it is good that its possible to do so i suppose. (specially for models like fett's :P) spose this tut is useful if i ever get mauled into attemting to export again lol (jk)
DEADALWAYS
Recruit Womprat Killer

Re: SketchUp to XSI to SWBF2 tutorial [updated for 7.1]

Post by DEADALWAYS »

when i import my model into xsi mod tools nothing happens
willinator
Major
Major
Projects :: [Coming of the Sentinels]
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 Minecraft Halo
xbox live or psn: PC pwns all!

Post by willinator »

What do you mean by the term, "fix the textures?" I don't quite understand,
EDIT: Sorry, didn't notice the date. I just thought it would be okay because it is stickied in an FAQ.
Unlucky13
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major
Projects :: Models models models
Games I'm Playing :: Random stuff

Post by Unlucky13 »

To :quotes: fix :quotes: the textures you just
Commander_Fett wrote:Open up the .dae file in a text editor, go to the bottom, and where it lists the textures replace texture0, texture1, etc. Now, go back to the folder and open up the .tga files and rename them to what you want, then replace the names in the .dae with those of your textures.
You just understood him wrong. Correct me if I am wrong, but the bump should be ok if you are asking a legitamate question and it is in the FAQ.