How To: Pandemic XSI Plugin under Windows7 x64

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

VF501
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Projects :: Various Stuff- Weapon models. UDK Stuff
Games I'm Playing :: Fallout New Vegas
xbox live or psn: Vintage Tagious

How To: Pandemic XSI Plugin under Windows7 x64

Post by VF501 »

The Pandemic MSH Exporter is for the full version of XSI 4.2-5.11 only, this is not a hack to make it work for the XSI Mod_Tools.

This should also work under Windows Vista x64.

First a Rundown of how the Exporter works.

The XSI plugin Pandemic made for SWBF2 for cloth editing and msh exporting breaks when installed on XSI running under Windows 7 x64. This is due to it being a VB (VisualBasic) script. This means it uses Windows based dependencies in the system and ActiveX components to convert .scn to .msh.

The functions are carried out by the PandemicMSHExporter.vbs calling up functions built into its extension which is PandemicExporter.dll.

The PE.dll is a data link library which contains all the necessary functions and calls to make a XSI scene into a usable .msh. The main problem is that this .dll was written, and compiled for x86 (32bit) systems. So when you install it under x64 systems, the .dll registration required for the .dll to be called by the scripts breaks. This has to do with how x86/x64 support is implemented in Windows. All x86 extensions are run from Windows\sysWOW64. The problem being that the PE.dll under Win7x64 calls for extension dependencies found only in Windows\system32 which house x64 extensions. This breaks its ability to register with the OS.

Fixing the Issue
Install XSI
Install the Pandemic SWBF2 plugin
Go to C:\Windows\system32
Find cmd.exe
Right Click and select run as admin
Type regsvr32 C:\Users\YourUserNameHere\Softimage\XSI_X.X\Addons\PandemicBF2\Application\bin\nt-x86\PandemicExporter.dll
Hit Enter.

This registers the PandemicExporter.dll to the system at Root level, which resides even above admin level. Trying to register the .dll by running the cmd.exe at admin level will only result in failure. Not registering the PandemicExporter.dll causes the following error in XSI, and calls line 81 of the exporter script out as the error even though it is not.

Code: Select all

Activex component cannot create object
The above error is associated with VBscript .dlls not being registered with the OS.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: How To: Pandemic XSI Plugin under Windows7 x64

Post by Teancum »

Stickied :thumbs:
Darth_Spiderpig
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Something cool...
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CoDBO BFBC2
xbox live or psn: Has no xbox....Yup

Post by Darth_Spiderpig »

Cool, when I get my new PC, I will need to try this, thanks. :)
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

VF501 wrote:
Hidden/Spoiler:
This breaks its ability to register with the OS.

Fixing the Issue
Install XSI
Install the Pandemic SWBF2 plugin
Go to C:\Windows\system32
Find cmd.exe
Right Click and select run as admin
Type regsvr32 C:\Users\YourUserNameHere\Softimage\XSI_X.X\Addons\PandemicBF2\Application\bin\nt-x86\PandemicExporter.dll
Hit Enter.

This registers the PandemicExporter.dll to the system...
This solution is the same one that Softimage support gave to MandeRek to get the xsiaddon working in Vista more than 2 years ago. Apparently Vista and Windows 7 are very much alike when it comes to this stuff but i'm glad you figured it out and got it working. :)
thesnyder25
Private
Projects :: Jazeer- New Republic II Defense
Games I'm Playing :: BBC2 Halo Reach BF2

Post by thesnyder25 »

i have xsi 7.5 and it works when i save my models as .scn instead of .exp so could i just export my models with this plugin by changing the file extension of my model?
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

the plugin will not work with xsi 7.5. since the plugin is used right through xsi. if you use the wrong version of xsi the plugin cannot work, no matter how you call a file.