SWBF2 PSP modding -- findings

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Re: SWBF2 PSP modding -- findings

Post by Teancum »

CommanderFixer wrote:I'd be willing to try your PS2 mod tools, but my memory card can only hold 8MB. Is that of any relevance? I have a PS2 slim, by the way. You were right, PSP modding is easy. I saw a how-to video on You Tube, showing how you can get some of the non-featured stock maps. However, they did not show how to get regular mod maps. Would it be possible to convert/port mods for the PC SWBF2 over to the PSP:? ? I know it's possible for the PS2.
lol... you can't use a memory card, nor a PS2 slim for mods. "Hacks" maybe, but not mods. You have to 1) be able to read backup DVDs, or 2) have a hard drive, which means you need the fat PS2, a network adapter and any IDE hard drive. That's why nobody has done it. Anyone with their PS2 set up to run modded content either doesn't know how to mod for the PC version of SWBF2 (which is a must), or doesn't care. Unfortunate, but true.

As for the PSP, the only thing you can do is scripting. Scripts are the same on all platforms, but the PSP version was ported by Savage Entertainment, and they modified the tools used to make SWBF2 to work on the PSP (this version of the tools was never released to the public). So if it already exists physically for the PSP you can try and make something of it. For instance, if you want Wampas vs Wookies on Mustafar, that could probably be done. But you can't make new maps, new models, new animations, or new sounds.
CommanderFixer
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: None
Games I'm Playing :: BF4 SWBF2 Skyrim
xbox live or psn: UBERMEISTER32

Post by CommanderFixer »

Oh. Dang! Otherwise, I'm ancient. I have the "fat" PSP. And for a little laugh, if one hacks their slim PS2, Dr. Hax would flatten them with fat PS2s. Yes, Gmod Idiot Box reference. :google: Anyways, so the PS2 Slim doesn't have a hard drive? That explains a lot. If I put in a racing game, a loud running noise will occur while reading the disc. :? I sometimes wish I had a fat PS2, but they were outdated by the time I got my PS2. I stopped playing SWBF2 for the PS2 after realizing I can't connect to the internet from where my Playstation 2 is. I'd be playing it all day and never be on here, given the PS2 have connection. Since I can't connect via wires, can I connect wirelessly?(And what do I need?)
SG-17
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Post by SG-17 »

You can mod the server files for the PS2 version. I've done it for years, removing tanks, changing damage values, fire rates, spawn paths, etc.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

Here are the tools, though they're a bit broken. Compiled LVL files show up in C:\, instead of \PSP_Modtools\_LVL_PSP. It gives you a good idea of what can be done (if you know the PC version of the tools very well). These stand alone, they don't need the PC version of the modtools. I'm not providing any support as I really didn't like the PSP version of SWBF2, and I just don't have extra time to fix this up.

Hopefully someone finds it useful.

http://www.mediafire.com/?gsxo8umu0ywpo11
^link fixed
Obi-Wan Kenobi
2nd Warning
2nd Warning
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Obi-Wan Kenobi »

Thanks Teancum. I rarely play the psp version anymore but, I can try to mod it now, So thanks!
SW_elite
Filthy Thief
Filthy Thief

Post by SW_elite »

I happen to have the PSP version of this game, along with 3 psp's, so ill give it a shot!
Obi-Wan Kenobi
2nd Warning
2nd Warning

Post by Obi-Wan Kenobi »

I've tried it, it works well! Thanks for your hard work! :)
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

I might see if I can get in contact with Savage and ask exaactly what they did, retrace their steps a bit.
CommanderFixer
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: None
Games I'm Playing :: BF4 SWBF2 Skyrim
xbox live or psn: UBERMEISTER32

Post by CommanderFixer »

At this point, I'm against modding anything PSP, period. Everyone on Star Wars Battlefront: Elite Squadron uses that lightsaber hack. They force-spam, ruin servers, orbital strike glitch, everything. It's insane, and I can't take the hacking anymore.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

There is a difference between outright hacking for cheating purposes and modding the game to have new maps, units etc.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Teancum »

And you'll find that what you'll be able to do with PSP mods won't invite new ways to cheat. SWBF1/2 are really great about checksums. Pretty much the biggest and only way to cheat in them is through level glitches. Script-based mods won't make it any easier, and can in some ways make it harder if coded for specific instances.
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by giftheck »

Well, BF2 on the PSP does have cheats, pretty much the same as the PS2's cheats (although for some reason the comedy hit effects cheat is absent). But there's no infrastructure mode, so cheating would be pointless in the first place anywhere other than in SP, and I do believe you can't use these cheats in MP anyways.

Fired off an e-mail today to Savage. Sadly it bounced right back as delivery failed.