Copyright Rules (UPDATED: Jan 12, 2018)

Talk and share anything related to Star Wars Battlefront 2. No maps or mod announcements here. Use Work in Progress forum.

Moderator: Moderators

DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Re: NEW POLICY: Copyright Rules

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

its a tough question because that would conflict witht he "authors wishes"-rule
skelltor
Sith
Sith
Projects :: BFSM
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII
xbox live or psn: skelltor95

Post by skelltor »

he has not been on since about a year ago and he said he would stay around but yes it is
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

Is it really that hard to email him?

http://www.gametoast.com/forums/memberl ... ile&u=2731

Make the effort if you haven't already.
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

as far as i can see there is no email-address on the page o.o
(maybe just admins see it)
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

Dunno - do you see this on the page?

Master_Ben
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
Location: Watching your PC over your shoulder. No, the other sholder....

Post by Master_Ben »

It must be admin-only, I can't see it either, although I see the spot where it would be.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

By the way, Tean, that's what my PM was about. I, too, have tried contacting ARC_Commander in multiple ways, but he seems to have cut himself off from GT altogether. But there are so many mods out there that have already used the BFX Assets besides just adding the BFX era to their map, which according to ARC's wishes was the only thing we could do without his permission, so what should we do?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:By the way, Tean, that's what my PM was about. I, too, have tried contacting ARC_Commander in multiple ways, but he seems to have cut himself off from GT altogether. But there are so many mods out there that have already used the BFX Assets besides just adding the BFX era to their map, which according to ARC's wishes was the only thing we could do without his permission, so what should we do?
You can continue to abide by his readme. If we see someone misusing the assets we'll lock the topic, etc. - just as we would for any other asset misuse.

If an author leaves explicit use instructions in their readme it's not the same as if an author hadn't said anything. The two-week no contact clause doesn't apply.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Maveritchell wrote:
Twilight_Warrior wrote:By the way, Tean, that's what my PM was about. I, too, have tried contacting ARC_Commander in multiple ways, but he seems to have cut himself off from GT altogether. But there are so many mods out there that have already used the BFX Assets besides just adding the BFX era to their map, which according to ARC's wishes was the only thing we could do without his permission, so what should we do?
You can continue to abide by his readme. If we see someone misusing the assets we'll lock the topic, etc. - just as we would for any other asset misuse.

If an author leaves explicit use instructions in their readme it's not the same as if an author hadn't said anything. The two-week no contact clause doesn't apply.
So the four mods on the first page of the Released Maps/Mods board (Syth's Battlefront Project, Dev's side mod, Darman's Felucia, and AQT's The Exile's Voyage) that use these assets in such a manner? Are we going to assume all of them asked for permission even though noone can get ahold of ARC? I'm not saying they didn't, I'm merely pointing out that we have an existing problem right now. That's only the first page and 4/19 (Not counting the links topic at the top) is more than 20%. Per page, that percentage adds up.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:So the four mods on the first page of the Released Maps/Mods board (Syth's Battlefront Project, Dev's side mod, Darman's Felucia, and AQT's The Exile's Voyage) that use these assets in such a manner?
I would assume that Syth has permission, since he started his project before ARC_Commander started his. Maps alone should be okay to use the assets:
ARC_Commander wrote:4. It is not necessary to ask my permission if you just want to use the BFX assets in a MAP.
But if there are full-scale mods that are using it and have not asked permission they should not be allowed.
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by 501st_commander »

Master_Ben wrote:It must be admin-only, I can't see it either, although I see the spot where it would be.
yea, phpBB has the email admin only by default, unless set by the user's CP.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

There appears to be slight ambiguities with condition #2 of the BFX assets readme:
2. If you are planning to make a mod that uses assets from BFX, please contact me on GameToast via PM and ASK MY PERMISSION.
Since a good portion of the BFX assets were accumulated from various other individuals anyway, I find it unjust to have to ask ARC_Commander for permission to use those assets. On a related note and if my reasoning above is correct, the credits list in the readme is not specific at some parts. For example:
- Wazmol69 for assets
or entirely correct for example:
- Qdin for Commander Cody
Therefore distinguishing who made what asset(s) or doing it correctly can be a challenge for some. Moving on,
planning to make a mod that uses assets from BFX
Key word being planning, what if I was making an impromptu, non-map mod and an asset(s) from BFX happens to fit my mod's need? Would asking for permission be required still then? And is it really necessary to ask for permission from ARC_Commander, someone who cannot be easily contacted these days, to use, let's say a couple skins and an explosion effect (or any "minor assets"), when obviously the answer would be yes because the BFX assets in its entirety were released for the purpose of being used? Would it really be worth the hassle?

That's my reasoning. Feel free to interpret further.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

AQT wrote:There appears to be slight ambiguities with condition #2 of the BFX assets readme:
2. If you are planning to make a mod that uses assets from BFX, please contact me on GameToast via PM and ASK MY PERMISSION.
Since a good portion of the BFX assets were accumulated from various other individuals anyway, I find it unjust to have to ask ARC_Commander for permission to use those assets. On a related note and if my reasoning above is correct, the credits list in the readme is not specific at some parts. For example:
- Wazmol69 for assets
Therefore distinguishing who made what asset(s) or doing it correctly can be a challenge for some. Moving on,
Key word being planning, what if I was making an impromptu, non-map mod and an asset(s) from BFX happens to fit my mod's need? Would asking for permission be required still then? And is it really necessary to ask for permission from ARC_Commander, someone who cannot be easily contacted these days, to use, let's say a couple skins and an explosion effect (or any "minor assets"), when obviously the answer would be yes because the BFX assets in its entirety were released for the purpose of being used? Would it really be worth the hassle?

The simple answer is this - if you know that someone else's assets are in the large "BFX Assets" pack (and there are a lot, as you well pointed out), then download them from the other source entirely.

This is why I am not a fan of people releasing assets packs with assets other than their own or Pandemic's, because it only creates confusion of authorship. However - if someone does release assets and you use that download, then you should abide by and rules laid out in the readme.

To address the last sentence of the above post: it's never a good idea to justify asset use or toeing the line with "it's just a little and permission would be a hassle." If it's just a little, then it's just a little for you to make and you should just make them yourself. If it's just a little but it's still too time-consuming or difficult for you to make, then the author deserves credit.

And despite quoting the above post, this isn't directed at AQT specifically - these points are a good clarification that should be understood.
skelltor
Sith
Sith

Post by skelltor »

idk if this would be missuseing the email admins only feature but could an admin email arc and just kindly tell hm that some gamtoast members want to use his assests and if he was not going to be on the site anymore if he woulde please remove the permisssion onaly for any mods thing?

i know it would be greatly aprecated by me and other gametoast members
Last edited by skelltor on Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogueKnight
Space Ranger
Projects :: Life. Work.
Games I'm Playing :: League of Legends

Post by RogueKnight »

What if you have the companies permission to use their assets?

I ask this not entirely as a "What if?" question, because my friends uncle owns Runic Games, and he lets me use all of their released assets freely, with appropriate credit of course. Most of their stuff is too low poly to use, but just in case he comes out with something good, I'd like to hear the rules on this.
Sky_216
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Sky_216 »

Maveritchell wrote:
AQT wrote:There appears to be slight ambiguities with condition #2 of the BFX assets readme:
- Wazmol69 for assets

The simple answer is this - if you know that someone else's assets are in the large "BFX Assets" pack (and there are a lot, as you well pointed out), then download them from the other source entirely.

This is why I am not a fan of people releasing assets packs with assets other than their own or Pandemic's, because it only creates confusion of authorship. However - if someone does release assets and you use that download, then you should abide by and rules laid out in the readme.

To address the last sentence of the above post: it's never a good idea to justify asset use or toeing the line with "it's just a little and permission would be a hassle." If it's just a little, then it's just a little for you to make and you should just make them yourself. If it's just a little but it's still too time-consuming or difficult for you to make, then the author deserves credit.

And despite quoting the above post, this isn't directed at AQT specifically - these points are a good clarification that should be understood.

Sorry to keep the off-topicness going, but on the note of BFX assets....

I *think* I've used some assets made by ARC in Dark Space (2 or 3 explosion effects and explosion textures + his invisible mesh made for force power chargeup effects - not sure if he actually made these or not)......since DS is a map-pack and not an era mod is that OK?
I'm assuming ARC_Commander's reasoning behind maps = OK mods = not OK was that he didn't want another mod ripping off chunks of BFX.

Anyway sorry for off-topicness again, and thanks for putting clear copyright rules up. :)
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by mswf »

I think that, if you can produce an official letter with your friend's uncle's signature as owner of Runic Games, you may use those. If you start your credit section with "I used assets from Runic Assets" a lot of copyright stuff from them "for which I got personal permission", you are good. But that's only if your uncle is also a complete owner of Runic Games, of course.
skelltor
Sith
Sith

Post by skelltor »

what if the mod adds maps like the stock ones but with changed units added unit and other lua editing would that fall under a mod or maps?
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by mswf »

What you're describing is called a side mod.
skelltor
Sith
Sith

Post by skelltor »

ok thx :cry: drat