First Person Envelope [Solved]

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Deviss
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Clone Wars Extended
Games I'm Playing :: BF2

First Person Envelope [Solved]

Post by Deviss »

hello to all, bothering again here :P, i wanted made one new first person model but when i put it ingame this appear up and no move, surely i need envelope it the same than on unit , so my question is, how i envelope first person? the same way than unit, in this case enveloping only to forearm and hands??

thanks in advance
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: First Person Envelope

Post by Maveritchell »

Deviss
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Re: First Person Envelope

Post by Deviss »

i must extract bones from unit template beta? so how i got bone_r_wrist XD?
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

First Person Model template

Post by AceMastermind »

I can send you a first person model XSI scene if you want it, you can use it as a template.

EDIT
Ingame test with additional geometry (cone)
Hidden/Spoiler:
Test scene setup (*no enveloping required)
Hidden/Spoiler:
Export options selected:
Export Selected Models Only

As you can see in the screenshots, this template works fine.
This was a direct conversion of Pandemic's rep_1st_trooper.msh. Everything came through the conversion correctly except for the keyframes (which is to be expected). Without the keyed bones (pos & rot) the geometry was invisible ingame, but with the keyed bones, animations and all worked fine.

Here's the 1st person template if anyone is interested in making a custom FPM:
rep_1st_trooper.zip

Quick instructions (revised):
1. Download the 1st person template above and import into XSI
2. Place your new arm/hand geometry in the hierarchy (no enveloping required*)
3a. Branch select dummyroot and export (if using Pandemic Tools)
3b. Select dummyroot then export with 'Export Animation' ticked (if using ZE Tools)

*You should be able to use the single/multi object envelope method setup also, it shouldn't really matter since animations feed off the bone hierarchy and not the geometry.
Deviss
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Re: First Person Envelope [Solved]

Post by Deviss »

Solved thanks to:
DarthD.U.C.K. - exported first model
FragMe! - made the perect template, and very useful help teaching me how to

many thanks Ace for you effort, anyway many thanks because you helped me many times also :D

ADMINS: could please post this topic on XSI tutorials for the next person can have the template :D??
FragMe!
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff
Projects :: Not sure keep changing my mind.
Games I'm Playing :: F1 and SWBF
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by FragMe! »

DEVISS-REX wrote: FragMe! - made the perect template, and very useful help teaching me how to
For those who are curious, what I sent wasn't that special, basically it was this.

The square is the DummyRoot location, the diamond is the hp_camera and the pyramid is the hp_weapons. The rest of the bones you can determine by color. The mesh parts are enveloped in a very basic manner.

This would work very well with what Ace posted (actually haven't D/L it because FF is taking way to long to get to the part to D/L) but knowing Ace it is probably very close to the picture anyway. :)
Deviss
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Deviss »

@FragMe!: many thanks for the explain picture keep it now :D
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

BUMP!
after three days i figured out where the 1stpersoncamera is (the position is not 100% correct but pretty close)

ive added a pyramid indicating the players FOV to the firstpersontemplate (i dont know if its FragMe!s or AceMasterminds).
Hidden/Spoiler:
you can download it here, you should use it if you vant to put some kind of visor in the first person. i hope somebody finds this helpfull

offtopic: i scanned the faqthread for this thread, but i couldnt find it. it would be probably better to find if it was labeled "first person model" instead of fpm (just my humble opinion)
Last edited by DarthD.U.C.K. on Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deviss
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by Deviss »

downloading now :D, this will be very useful for help to icemember in his custom FPMcommando , thanks again DarthDUCK!! :wink:
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

DarthD.U.C.K. wrote:... after three days i figured out where the 1stpersoncamera is ...
It took you 3 days to find hp_camera?
Your download link is broken already, don't use Filefront.
DarthD.U.C.K. wrote:... i scanned the faqthread for this thread, but i couldnt find it ...
It looks to me like you found it! :)
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

AceMastermind wrote:It took you 3 days to find hp_camera?
finding hp_camera took me less then a second :P but finding out where the camera really is and how its rotated took me 3 days. hp_camera points straight ahead but the actualy 1stperson-camera is rotated along all axes ingame. (you can see that a bit on the screenshot i posted)
AceMastermind wrote:Your download link is broken already, don't use Filefront.
:shock: really? what the...? can you give ma an advice for a better uploadingsite?

EDIT: REFERENCE FOR COCKPITVIEWS
ive made a reference for cockipitviews/vehiclefirstpersons. is basically the gunturret firstperson. i added a plane called "screen" which marks the area that will be seen in firstperson. the middle of the plane is where the reticule will be. the plane is in the position of the camera ingame so anything behind it wont be visible. i know, its nothing special and really easy to do but i hope it can be handy for someone who makes a new cockpitview and doesnt want to figure around first.

so...after this rambling you can download the .emdl file here from mediafire