Extracting Sounds (Help)

In this forum you will find and post information regarding the modding of Star Wars Battlefront 2. DO NOT POST MOD IDEAS/REQUESTS.

Moderator: Moderators

Revan-Shan
Private First Class

Extracting Sounds (Help)

Post by Revan-Shan »

I need to extract the death and hit sounds from the units of BF2. How can I do that?
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Re: Extracting Sounds (Help)

Post by mswf »

Use a sound recording utility. Then set your sound options in SWBFII to "effects only" then make sure you're far away from the battle and fire at random intervals. Then use sound editing software (audicity is a good free programm) to try and cut out the part you want.

Where would you want to use the sound you recorded for though? I ask this, because porting sounds from games is almost always illegal (and, if I remember correctly, you're even much more likely to get in trouble with sound stealing than texture ripping)
Revan-Shan
Private First Class

Post by Revan-Shan »

mswf wrote:Where would you want to use the sound you recorded for though? I ask this, because porting sounds from games is almost always illegal (and, if I remember correctly, you're even much more likely to get in trouble with sound stealing than texture ripping)
It's for a mod. And I need star wars death/harm sounds (do you know any other place where I could get it?)
mswf wrote:Use a sound recording utility. Then set your sound options in SWBFII to "effects only" then make sure you're far away from the battle and fire at random intervals. Then use sound editing software (audicity is a good free programm) to try and cut out the part you want.
There must be another way. I need the original file.
mswf
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by mswf »

Revan-Shan wrote:
mswf wrote:Where would you want to use the sound you recorded for though? I ask this, because porting sounds from games is almost always illegal (and, if I remember correctly, you're even much more likely to get in trouble with sound stealing than texture ripping)
It's for a mod. And I need star wars death/harm sounds (do you know any other place where I could get it?)
For which game?
Revan-Shan wrote:
mswf wrote:Use a sound recording utility. Then set your sound options in SWBFII to "effects only" then make sure you're far away from the battle and fire at random intervals. Then use sound editing software (audicity is a good free programm) to try and cut out the part you want.
There must be another way. I need the original file.
No (if I remember this correctly)
All the shipped sounds are already packaged in a munged file.

Listen, if you want the sounds for another game than SWBFII, that's a definite no-go. If this is what you had planned, I suggest you to try and replicate them yourself with a microphone, but do not try to rip it from another game, if the assets weren't given free. I'm not even sure if it's legal what you want to do even if you use it for a SWBFII mod.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Teancum »

You can't extract original sound files. They're in a munged format. Besides there should never be a need because the only safe uses legality-wise would be in Battlefront anyways.