Khimera Battlegrounds by YaNkFaN

New maps and mods are coming out quickly. If you release something (even a beta) please post it here. Be sure to give details in the topic such as Map/Mod name and version

Moderator: Moderators

Rating

9-10
54%
8-9
34%
7-8
12%
6-7
No votes
5-6
No votes
4-5
No votes
3-4
No votes
2-3
No votes
1-2
No votes
0-1
No votes

Total votes: 41
YaNkFaN
Field Commander
Field Commander

Khimera Battlegrounds by YaNkFaN

Post by YaNkFaN »

It's Finally Here!

--KHIMERA BATTLEGROUNDS--
by YaNkFaN

What you actually get with this mappack
5 new maps each with 3 random environments each
12 random heroes (3 for each team) that are completely random in all modes
Conquest CTF and 1Flag for all maps
Dark Times Era Support for all 5 maps
all for under 90mb
Enjoy

Review by Nihillo

My review (directed not only at Yankfan as a report, but as an actual review instead):

Khimera is the best map pack I have played for SWBF II. Now, I know there aren't many of them, but the few we have available are mostly high-quality projects produced by talented individuals -making a mod is not for amateurs, I suppose- and while it is difficult to compete with the likes of Maveritchell and Xavious, Yankfan manages to sucessfully equal said standards and introduce some conceptual innovations.

This "planet-pack" (as I'm going to refer to it) is a collection of a variety of thematic battle fronts, each with a different gameplay:
Beach reminds me of Vietnam War games, patrolling gunships offer air support to a batallion of troopers attempting to break enemy fortified defenses, a suicidal mission that might end up in disaster or in the beggining of an invasion; while the defenders provide a phenomenal resistance, they are not overwhelming and the invaders have many advantages that can be used to spearhead the attack on enemy lines, providing a well balanced gameplay.
Islands (a misnomer, in my opinion) is a forestal map that reminds me of the battle of endor in a way, command posts are always changing hands, but none of them seems to be at a tactical disvantage, with fortified gun emplacements protecting the scattered CPs from flanking and direct attacks; instead of the frontal clash of forces present in Beach, Islands has a chaotic nature.
Most of the combat in Jungle happens at the river crossing the map, walkers and repulsor tanks support a contingent of soldiers in their advance, while smaller groups battle it out in the woods and ruins.
Plains has a cinematic beginning, with walkers striding alongside troops, in CW conquest there is even a dropship bringing a perfectly functional AT-TE to the battle. The map has a simple layout and is very open, with the ocasional structure here and there, while it stands as a great map by itself, it's just too... well... plain when compared to the other maps.
Streets, the shining (actually dark) jewel of the planet pack, is a ruined city (capital?) of Khimera, if you have played Virmund City, you should expect a similar quality in the structure of the city, the gameplay, however, is paced differently, while Virmund has various levels with intersections at the end of linear passages, Streets has one plane divided into two sections by a river and connected by a few bridges at the middle, CPs are placed in interesting areas across each sides. The ambience here is astonishing, literally a picture that comes to life, I won't describe it because I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

The overall theme is sustained throughout the pack, with glimpses of the next map clearly visible at the horizon, a really nice touch that makes the maps feel like they are set near each other.

The classic Yankfan sides are present, which is always a good thing, players should expect some new weapons, though. The Clone Legion is plain white, an interesting (but not completely original, I am aware of that) take on the usually colorful Clones, possibly implying a transitory stage of alleigances, whatever the case may be, I like them, they have a simple and somewhat formal appearance, similar to stormtroopers; Droids have the good and old beige B1s with a OOM security droid and a B2 thrown in the mix; The Imperial faction looks similar to that we have seen in Servorum, grey troopers with insignias of the empire while Rebels have Bothans as snipers and their usual camouflaged uniforms.

Yankfan's Khimera planet pack is a testament to the authors professional skil, a solid mod with a beautiful scenario and -most importantly- excellent gameplay. be sure to download it as soon as it is released, because this is a must-have for everyone.

please read the readme it is imperative because it contains crucial installation instructions
This works online in multiplayer
This does not edit the shipped game at all and is compatible with the Dark Times mode (obviously) and v1.3 patch ( I am not sure about all the other big mods just due to the fact that I do not have them)

README
Hidden/Spoiler:
[code]
------KHIMERA BATTLEGROUNDS by YaNkFaN-------

Installation Instructions
Put the folder labeled gamedata in C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Star Wars Battlefront II or wheverer your gamedata folder for the game is located I have set up the directory properly.
Your Computer will ask you if it is ok to overwrite the files click yes to all (this mod does not edit the shipped game what so ever).

Once in BF2 the Khimera maps will not look like other modded maps instead they will be the color of the shipped BF2 maps (this was done on purpose and again did not edit the shipped game at all)

Suggested settings
Lighting- High/Medium
Water- High (if your computer can handle it) many of the maps 4/5 actually have some water in them this really will increase your gaming experience to have water on high
Shadows- off (unless you have a high end computer, I personally see no need for shadows)

Khimera Battlegrounds is a planet pack with 5 maps that all take place on the same planet. Each map comes with 3 random environments (except plains this has 2). The 3 random environments are a sunset like environment, a clear day, and a rain or story environment. Each map also has a total of 6 random heros (3 for each faction) which are different every time you play. In total the mappack has 12 random heroes which are random each time you play
Also for those who downloaded the Dark Times mod by Maveritchell, all 5 maps have a Dark Times mode.

Khimera Battlegrounds was built in such a way for the maps to be played in order. Not playing in order will not cause any problems with the gameplay but playing in order will enhance gameplay and provide a more logical, smoother flow to the maps. The suggested order to play is the way they appear (top to bottem, also alphabetical) in the map picking screen. The order is Beach, Islands, Jungle, Plains, Streets.

Khimera Battlegrounds as far as I can tell is online compatable.

Khimera Battlegrounds uses a lot of assets created by others, I would just like to take the time to thank them for their work.

Credits:
Darth D.U.C.K.- Fixing Aurrasing Model/fixed magnastaff (-Hatrus for creating the model and texturing it.
-Wazmol for converting the staff to Battlefront.)
trainmaster611, Repsharpshooter- fixed chaingun turret
Pandemic, Maveritchell, and Teancum Kit Fisto and Conversion Pack heroes/units
Maveritchell- dark times mod and instructions for adding the mod to map (TFU random hero script)
Mars Marshall / Neomarz- aurrasing model
Fluffy_the_ic- shotgun
minologuy- converting the aurra sing model
Dragonum- LAAT/c model and animation
-DC-15A-
Pahricida - The creator of the model. Originally intended for MovieBattles 2 (a Jedi Academy modification), it has since been imported to Battlefront II.
wazmol69 - For exporting the model to Battlefront II without a single polygon or UV lost.
Rekubot - For resizing the rifle and adjusting the grip.
------
Fai222- SFOR Republic Carbine Model (Gauss Rifle)
Skyhammer- cool destroyed gunship models and LAAT/m also for the random sky/lighting tutorial
Delta 1035- skins that are purely amazing (aat, spider, stap, magnaguard, and droideka)
AQT- scaled up droideka
acemastermind- magnaguard with cape and grievous with cape
OOM-9 DC-15 Carbine
HUD Fixing
Mike Z for the original code
Majin Revan for his efforts and for making the topic
and FragMe
FragMe for the haywire detonator hud icon
Zerted for Custom Loading Screens and Free Cam
666rulerofclones for the EMP Grenade Assets
OOM-9 and Majin Revan for OOM9 and Commmander Cody Model
Neomarz- commander cody model
Teancum for uploading all this stuff in his "secret" asset pack
NullCommando-for imperial skins
Majin Revan-for RC sounds and RC weapons etc
Rends for his brilliant sound tutorial
Qdin- commander cody model (and if any of the included weapons are used, them too) (magnaguard chunks and DC-15s Pistol)
Majin Revan binoculars .odf
Dragonum for DC-15s pistol
Wazmol- converted Aurra Sing rifle (also known as Zam Rifle or CIS sniper rifle)
Neomarz- textures and models for Aurrasing Rifle
Nul_1138 some kashyyyk building textures
- ARC_Commander BFX assets (sonic grenade, T-21 rifle, droideka shield texture)
Caleb- sonic grenade explosion

Betaers
Nova Hawk
Nihillo
Fiodis
Maveritchel
Alex Secura
Fluffy_the_ic
obiboba3po

My Stuff
Map Ideas and Level Designs
Random hero script (it is an edited version of mav's script)
Fixed LAAT/c script (I added a second timer so that the ATTE wouldn't spawn immediately after it died)
Custom Lasers
Defenders
Some of the imperial skins are mine
Republic Skins (34th Battalion Commander, Clone Commander)
Droideka Skin (based off Delta 1035's skin)
GAT skin
Gauss Rifle odf
Many of the new weapon .odfs were edited

Known Bugs- Hero's appear below the selection screen off the screen. This is unfizable and is the same bug in the Dark Times.
Sometimes the terrain will appear all black just restart the level and this will fix the error
Grievous does not have his charge attack (you cannot charge then click primary fire button) this was done intentionally in order to have grievous and fisto appear on the same map and not CTD.

If there are any questions/comments/concerns please contact me at yankfan1950 at gmail dot com.

Enjoy
-YaNkFaN-
[/code]

PICS
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Link: http://starwarsbattlefront.filefront.co ... nds;100426

Enjoy

Edit: Fixed some of the credits
Last edited by YaNkFaN on Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delta-1035
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: TOR GCWII GCW1035 BF1035
xbox live or psn: Johnny_Sciroppo

Re: Khimera Battlegrounds by YaNkFaN

Post by Delta-1035 »

I have already downloaded this from SWBFFiles, and i can just say: "WoW!".

Very good job YaNk, my favourite map is "Kimera:Streets" i love it.

But I have to say that I don't like the side (i mean no offense), personally i don't like those white/grey troopers, but hey it's your mod, and it is awesome.

Thanks for the credits :wink: and for having released this fantastic mappack.

P.S.:the pic with my magnaguard and the LAAT/c is really cool :P
masterfaa
Lance Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by masterfaa »

I dowloaded it.i can play only the islands and the streets.I get a FATAL error on the other maps.
Last edited by masterfaa on Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Delta-1035
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Delta-1035 »

Oh, I forgot to rate, 8/9 for me.
Devastator77
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Location: Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...

Post by Devastator77 »

From the WIP thread, the trailer I will definitely download this epic series...
EDIT: Streets was awesome, Nihillo's review says it all. 10/10 :thumbs:
...goes off to try other maps
Delta-1035
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Delta-1035 »

masterfaa wrote:I get a FATAL error on the other maps.
Beacuse you have too much maps in your Addon folder, try to remove some of them.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

I already got it on the filefront website, all of these maps are really well done. :thumbs:
501st_commander
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by 501st_commander »

Yay! its out!
i'm downloading!
Null_1138
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Null_1138 »

Nice, downloading now. But, uh, who gave you the Kashyyyk hut reskins?
YaNkFaN
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by YaNkFaN »

I didn't use them actually....if there are any reskins on the Kashyyyk Huts they were done by me
Null_1138
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Null_1138 »

Oh, ok. Nvm, then.
YaNkFaN
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by YaNkFaN »

yea if you do play and notice that I did accidentaly use your textures without crediting you please notify me so that I can credit you I am sure that I didn't use you but if you want I will credit you
TK432
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Post by TK432 »

Im getting very bright ground lightning on sunset time, is that normal?

might just have been a download error, ill try again

gave it a 8-9
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

just one tiny little credit fix:
the aurasing rifle/ zam sniper was modeled and textured ba neomarz, wazmol just converted it
Null_1138
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Null_1138 »

YaNkFaN wrote:yea if you do play and notice that I did accidentally use your textures without crediting you please notify me so that I can credit you I am sure that I didn't use you but if you want I will credit you
Well, it looks to me like you did use the walls texture and kas2_metals. The walls blurry, like this:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Truthfully, I just did a couple of resizes and copy/paste over the images. I can't say I really deserve the credit :oops:, so you don't have to credit me, unless you deem it appropriate.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

Since my review is already there, I don't have much to say around here, but uh... great pack Yankfan, 9-10 from me. :yes:
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

TK432 wrote:Im getting very bright ground lightning on sunset time, is that normal?

might just have been a download error, ill try again

gave it a 8-9
No, I get that sometimes too. Just restarting the mission should fix the problem.

EDIT:
Very nice, Yank. All these maps are a work of art. Here's my favorite from greatest to least greatest.
Khimera: Beach
Khimera: Plains
Khimera: Streets
Khimera: Islands
Khimera: Jungle
H_BOMB
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Location: That little box. You know, kinda toward the left side of the screen...

Post by H_BOMB »

Okay, cool mappack. Though there is some room for improvement. Here's my review:

Beach-

The map itself is very cool, expeccially when its raining.

Except the gameplay is unbalanced. It is nearly impossible for the side that is assaulting the beach to win. Even if you try to capture as many CPs as you can. I'm not exactly sure why its unbalaced, but it just is.

Islands-

This map is much more easy to win for any side. Though it does require a bit of strategy, but thats not a bad thing.

Like others have said, the ground texture is extremely bright on all lighting settings, shadow or not, and with bloom on the ground glows.

Jungle-

This one is fun, but extremely laggy. Which makes sense, but I don't think it would impact the feel too much if it lost some foliage in some places.

Plains-

My favorite, for the epic battle feel. Nothing wrong that I can see with this one. One suggestion would be too add some of the props used in jungle in the area behind where the sides emerged but, you know its optional.

Streets-

Very eerie, a little bit hard, but its still winnable. My only suggestion would be to add a small canyon or waterfall to where the big river in the middle emerges because as of right now, it has no visible begginning or end. Its just... there.

Still, it was a very fun map pack. I had some suggestions about the sides too, but I'll wait until I try them all out first.
Darth Revan
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by Darth Revan »

Well man I must say you have outdone yourself on the map making here some of the best Ive ever seen but as said by others the sides may require abit more thought
Devastator77
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant
Location: Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy...

Post by Devastator77 »

Darth Revan wrote:Well man I must say you have outdone yourself on the map making here some of the best Ive ever seen but as said by others the sides may require abit more thought
The sides IMO are simple, yet effective. I personally like the grayish-white clones: they fit in well with the rainy skydome especially.
My favorites from greatest to least:
Beach
Plains
Islands
Streets
Jungle

Awesome job, and top-notch work as always!