Tutorial for new-ones in XSI, addon mesh

How to create models in XSI and other 3D applications and make them work in Battlefront 1 & 2. Post models, tips for application usage and share anything XSI, 3DMax, SketchUp, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Battlefront Zer0
Games I'm Playing :: SWTOR
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Tutorial for new-ones in XSI, addon mesh

Post by MandeRek »

You're new to XSI and want to start with something simple.. Something, just a little ADDon... This is your litteral tut! I posted this after muterancor's request,i thought more people would like it...

How to create your addon for Star Wars Battlefront II:

0. This must be done before starting; you must have made and textured the model you want as addon, just by using cylinders for example!

1. Select ALL objects which make your object (like cylinders etc) and on the Model panel at the left go: Create>Poly.Mesh>Merge

2. A pop-up appears... Make Tolerance 0 and click both Merge buttons then Hide or Delete the input objects. After that close the popup. Now in the Explorer(hotkey 8 ) you should have a new polymsh

3. Then go: Get>Primitive>Null and name the null dummyroot, you should rotate it X=90, Y=0, Z=90 then go to an explorer view (hotkey 8 for floating explorer) and setup your hierarchy by dragging and dropping your polymsh onto dummyroot (note: read last line of this post)

4. It's important to position your mesh correctly, so it won't show up upside down on the model. After placing the dummyroot correctly, think of the dummyroot being the middlepoint of the part you're attaching the addon to... For example if you're creating a jetpack, think of the null being the middle of the ribcage!

-5.1. To export, BRANCH (middle click) select the dummyroot, and export to .msh
-5.2. To export, BRANCH (middle click) select the dummyroot, and if you don't have the full XSI version, use File>Crosswalk>Export. A pop-up will appear. Select XSI 5.0 text. Then send the exported file to someone who can export it to msh for you with the Pandemic Tools!

If you want a dynamically animated addon the you should look through my Set up Tentacles tutorial (link in XSI Tutorials thread)

For questions, please post... Enjoy! (don't blame me if something isn't described in detail or not said correctly, I posted this by heart!)

Example of ODF code for my Paladin Clone horns:

Code: Select all

AnimatedAddon = "HORNS" //this name can be whatever you want it to be
GeometryAddon = "rep_paladin_horns" //name of your addon msh (do not append ".msh")
AddonAttachJoint = "bone_head" //this is the bone the addon will attach to
^Examples of AddonAttachJoint's are bone_head (the head), bone_neck, bone_ribcage etc.
The 3 lines of code above should go into your unit's ODF under [properties], if you copy the code above make sure you edit it to meet the needs of your particular addon.

* The rotation numbers given for the dummyroot are suitable when applying the mesh to bone_ribcage, bone_head and bone_neck. Other bones might need other rotation numbers (in human words: when following this tut for f.e. a claw, it might be that it isn't showing up correctly ingame (upside down for example) when this happens, try to rotate the dummyroot correct yourself, after checking ingame)

The tutorials in this topic work for SWBF1 and SWBF2

Notes:
In SWBF2 geometry addons disappear when jet jumping, there is no known fix!

Universal addon setup in XSI
Last edited by MandeRek on Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:21 pm, edited 10 times in total.
mutedrancor
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Re: Tutorial for new-ones in XSI, addon mesh

Post by mutedrancor »

thanks mandeRek :D
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by MandeRek »

Always welcome... edit credit to the first post... Everyone who has seen any work of me with XSI has read it before i guess...
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

MandeRek wrote:3. Go to primitive>null, to create some sort of 3 dimensional viewer thingie (it's green :P ) Leave it where it is. In explorer, rename it dummyroot (click once and then F2)
After you go Get>Primitive>Null, you should rotate it X=90, Y=0, Z=90 then go to an explorer view (hotkey 8 for floating explorer) and setup your hierarchy by dragging and dropping your mesh onto dummyroot/bone_root or whatever you named the null, the rotation of the null is what makes your addon appear correctly on the unit ingame(for a head and cape addon anyway, I haven't tried attaching anything to arms or legs yet).
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by MandeRek »

Okay, and i guess when you do this you must think of the null as middlepoint of the head/ribcage/neck/whatever... Will edit, thanks for correcting Ace
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

AceMastermind wrote:
MandeRek wrote:3. Go to primitive>null, to create some sort of 3 dimensional viewer thingie (it's green :P ) Leave it where it is. In explorer, rename it dummyroot (click once and then F2)
After you go Get>Primitive>Null, you should rotate it X=90, Y=0, Z=90 then go to an explorer view (hotkey 8 for floating explorer) and setup your hierarchy by dragging and dropping your mesh onto dummyroot/bone_root or whatever you named the null, the rotation of the null is what makes your addon appear correctly on the unit ingame(for a head and cape addon anyway, I haven't tried attaching anything to arms or legs yet).
It's not standard for every null/bone in a skeleton. Some are oriented intuitively, i.e. facing the positive-Z axis, and others are odd, like the bone_head null.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

It's not standard for every bone, but bone_neck, bone_head, and bone_ribcage typically require the null to be rotated X=90, Y=0, Z=90 so you won't be wearing your cape or hat on the side or front of your body. You could also leave the bone_root/dummyroot as it is and rotate the mesh instead, but the null rotation may differ depending on the skeleton in which you are attaching the addon to, but it is all trial and error anyway.
The easiest way is to just download the addon Template that I uploaded in the tentacle thread where everything is basically setup for you, just make your mesh and move into position freeze the transforms and setup your hierarchy (with or without bone_string_#).
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

I was just confirming your assumption that they could be different ("a head and cape addon anyway, I haven't tried attaching anything to arms or legs yet"). It can be a bugger when you think you've figured out positioning addons right and you put it ingame and it's skewed.
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by MandeRek »

Okay, tried to follow your discussion/conversation, and added note to the tut. Hope you both agree on it ^^
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

THANK YOU!!
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by MandeRek »

DarthD.U.C.K. wrote:THANK YOU!!
I guess the caps were an expression of joy and happiness :P You're welcome ;)
giftheck
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront Legacy

Post by giftheck »

MandeRek wrote:The tutorials in this topic work for SWBF1 and SWBF2.
Note: Geometry addons disappear when jet jumping, there is no known fix!
I find in BF1 that the addon does not disappear (not Vader's Cape anyways, when I have changed the "Force Jump" to "Force Hover"), it just simply stays static. I think this may apply to otehr addons too.

Edit: Sorry for bumping, didn't realise this had been over 30 days (I replied from the top)
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

He's talking about BF2.
Frisbeetarian
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Frisbeetarian »

Did you not see that he quoted the bottom part of the tutorial, right where it says it works for SWBF1?
Fiodis
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Rannoch + Tientia + Tools Programming

Post by Fiodis »

Frisbeetarian wrote:Did you not see that he quoted the bottom part of the tutorial, right where it says it works for SWBF1?
No I did not. :wink: Look at that....wow.

Well, my comment stands: When he says they disappear in jet-jump, hes talking about BF2.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AceMastermind »

Did you not see that he quoted the bottom part of the tutorial, right where it says it works for SWBF1?
The tutorials work for both games, the jet jumping note was meant for SWBF2 since that's what most people currently mod these days, those 2 lines weren't related, the first post has been edited to avoid further confusion.

Fiodis was correct in both of his previous posts.
fai222
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by fai222 »

Sorry for the bump, but since this is a faq i guess its ok. I just want to clear up one small thing: Do you have to use the "/" key (in my case this doesnt work) to move your model under the dummyroot or can you just do it the normal drag and drop way?

EDIT: Oh, and what do i need to put in the odf of the unit i want to have my addon? The mod tools dont know which unit is going to have a addon all by it self as most of you know. :wink:
ryukaji
Major
Major

Post by ryukaji »

fai222 wrote:Sorry for the bump, but since this is a faq i guess its ok. I just want to clear up one small thing: Do you have to use the "/" key (in my case this doesnt work) to move your model under the dummyroot or can you just do it the normal drag and drop way?

EDIT: Oh, and what do i need to put in the odf of the unit i want to have my addon? The mod tools dont know which unit is going to have a addon all by it self as most of you know. :wink:
Read the tutorial it says right there!!!!

Code: Select all

AnimatedAddon = "HORNS" //this name can be whatever you want it to be
GeometryAddon = "rep_paladin_horns" //name of your addon msh (do not append ".msh")
AddonAttachJoint = "bone_head" //this is the bone the addon will attach to
and no its fine if you drag and drop it, just as long as you get it under that dummyroot null.
fai222
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by fai222 »

:oops: Now i understand... That code is not ment to be an addon odf, but its going in the unit odf :oops:

EDIT: Well, i got it to work... but it is absolutly not were it belongs.
Hidden/Spoiler:
Thanks
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by MandeRek »

Did you freeze the object (the mesh, not the null) before exporting?