Update to SWBF MSH Viewer

Releasing the source files for your mod or map? Post em' here. (Applies to both SWBF1 & SWBF2)

Moderator: Moderators

tipam
Recruit Womprat Killer
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Update to SWBF MSH Viewer

Post by tipam »

Hi - I've been out of it for a while, but I've updated the latest viewer for MSH files. All model file geometries now display correctly and load neatly (i.e. centred and zoomed)

I've finally mastered the transforms which means a model's skeleton (bones) could be edited in future versions. All I need to do now is master skinning! I've also included directory list files so you don't need to let the viewer scan through all the SWBF folders for 1st time users. These will only work correctly if you haven't modified the SWBF SDK directories (i.e. added/changed/deleted files). If in doubt, just let the viewer look for the files or click 'No' if you don't want to.

Have fun - here's the link http://sites.google.com/site/swbfmodding/swbf-tools
Fluffy_the_ic
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: astrally
xbox live or psn: fluffytherc

Re: Update to SWBF MSH Viewer

Post by Fluffy_the_ic »

niiiiiice.... So by editing a unit's skeleton, what do you mean by that? Change the skeleton, making new anims, rescale the skeleton, or just apply a skeleton? And are you still not doing bumpmaps?
tipam
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by tipam »

Fluffy_the_ic wrote:niiiiiice.... So by editing a unit's skeleton, what do you mean by that? Change the skeleton, making new anims, rescale the skeleton, or just apply a skeleton? And are you still not doing bumpmaps?
... it means that the overall model (inc. skeleton) could be modified although I must admit altering the envelopes/weights is a little more complicated! I've got a grip on how these things work in the MSH file but it might take too much work to write an editor for them! Bumpmaps are possible using pixel shaders, but this needs further investigation too.

For now, I'm continuing to write file converters in the Viewer so you can drop VRML/OBJ/3DS files in and save them as MSH. I've already finished VRML>MSH which can be seen in the BF1 demo I did.
Sky_216
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Sky_216 »

Hardly found any VRML files but converting obj.s (simply) :thumbs:
ANd editing stuff in viewer..... :bowdown:

Anyway, thanks for this, great program you've made here, very useful I (and I'm sure many many other) modders use this reguarly (so good for skinning...no more 'munge and play every time'). Great job! :D
tipam
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by tipam »

Skyhammer_216 wrote:Hardly found any VRML files but converting obj.s (simply) :thumbs:
ANd editing stuff in viewer..... :bowdown:

Anyway, thanks for this, great program you've made here, very useful I (and I'm sure many many other) modders use this reguarly (so good for skinning...no more 'munge and play every time'). Great job! :D
... erm, yes ... yo could say it 'hacks' the obj format for now! You can get VRML files from www.turbosquid.com, and be specific when searching in google; search for 'VRML buildings' or 'VRML avatar' etc... You can also search for X3D (based on VRML) and WRL files (these are VRML files)
There's quite a bit out there although, as with all free stuff, you need to filter the junk
Deviss
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: Clone Wars Extended
Games I'm Playing :: BF2

Post by Deviss »

for end a version where the custom clone's model look good :thumbs:
Null_1138
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Null_1138 »

Great work Tipam!

I got a problem, though. Whenever I open up a BF1 msh, I get an error saying "an exception of class NilObjectException was not handled." How do I look at BF1 msh's? Do I need to move the BFBuilder folder?
tipam
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by tipam »

Null_1138 wrote:Great work Tipam!

I got a problem, though. Whenever I open up a BF1 msh, I get an error saying "an exception of class NilObjectException was not handled." How do I look at BF1 msh's? Do I need to move the BFBuilder folder?
... does this mean you haven't loaded any models yet or only BF1 ... if only BF1, can you give me an example just in case it crashes on my comp too?
MasterFang1
Corporal
Corporal

Post by MasterFang1 »

The SWBF1 file list looks for the files in C:/LucasArts/BFBuilder/Assets, so if it isnt there make a folder called LucasArts then BFBuilder and then copy and paste the Assets folder there. This worked for me :yes: .
Delta-1035
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: TOR GCWII GCW1035 BF1035
xbox live or psn: Johnny_Sciroppo

Post by Delta-1035 »

Yes! this version works perfectly!
Null_1138
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Null_1138 »

MasterFang1 wrote:

The SWBF1 file list looks for the files in C:/LucasArts/BFBuilder/Assets, so if it isnt there make a folder called LucasArts then BFBuilder and then copy and paste the Assets folder there. This worked for me :yes: .
EDIT: Ok, copying the entire Assets folder would have taken me 3 hours. No way, I thought, so I copied the Sides and the Shipped Worlds folders and put them in Lucasarts/BFBuilder/Assets.

But I still get the same error. I'm starting to think, by the looks of the error, it has something to do with the MSH's themselves. "NilObjectException" sounds like a) a LUA command, or b) a property of some sort of the MSH. Anyone have any ideas?
Delta 47
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: BioShock
xbox live or psn: Delta811

Post by Delta 47 »

Gonna try out this new version right away, your really doing a great job with this!
TomModder
Private

Post by TomModder »

Yeah, great job!!! I'm going to try this out too!
tipam
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by tipam »

Null_1138 wrote:
MasterFang1 wrote:

EDIT: Ok, copying the entire Assets folder would have taken me 3 hours. No way, I thought, so I copied the Sides and the Shipped Worlds folders and put them in Lucasarts/BFBuilder/Assets.

But I still get the same error. I'm starting to think, by the looks of the error, it has something to do with the MSH's themselves. "NilObjectException" sounds like a) a LUA command, or b) a property of some sort of the MSH. Anyone have any ideas?
Have you tried dragging and dropping a MSH file onto the Viewer? ... if this still doesn't work, could you let me know what graphics card you're using (inc. mem size) ... the Viewer only supports OpenGL for now.
Tks.
theITfactor
Chief Warrant Officer
Chief Warrant Officer
Projects :: The Pwnfest and Games Complex
Games I'm Playing :: SWTOR
xbox live or psn: You and I Know

Post by theITfactor »

Neat, I'll have to try this. Good work :)
Null_1138
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Null_1138 »

tipam wrote:Have you tried dragging and dropping a MSH file onto the Viewer? ... if this still doesn't work, could you let me know what graphics card you're using (inc. mem size) ... the Viewer only supports OpenGL for now.
Tks.
Drag and drop? I can't even click on a BF1 MSH without the error popping up. That's what happens, I click once on a MSH (working ones), and it shows up in the viewer.

As for a graphics card: I'm running on a Radeon-9600. However, I solved the OpenGL problem when I downloaded Blender. I think the fix was an ATI driver, but that was a while ago...
tipam
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by tipam »

Null_1138 wrote:
tipam wrote:Have you tried dragging and dropping a MSH file onto the Viewer? ... if this still doesn't work, could you let me know what graphics card you're using (inc. mem size) ... the Viewer only supports OpenGL for now.
Tks.
Drag and drop? I can't even click on a BF1 MSH without the error popping up. That's what happens, I click once on a MSH (working ones), and it shows up in the viewer.

As for a graphics card: I'm running on a Radeon-9600. However, I solved the OpenGL problem when I downloaded Blender. I think the fix was an ATI driver, but that was a while ago...
OK - I think I know what it is - don't use the SWBF_BF1 file I put with the program (i.e. delete it). When you run up the viewer, it will ask to scan for BF1 files - say yes and it will take around 5 mins to scan all your BF1 models (seemingly doing nothing - please wait). The reason why you're getting "Nil Object ... " errors is because it can't find the file. I'll fix the code now so it throws a correct error.
Null_1138
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Null_1138 »

tipam wrote:
Null_1138 wrote:
Tks.

OK - I think I know what it is - don't use the SWBF_BF1 file I put with the program (i.e. delete it). When you run up the viewer, it will ask to scan for BF1 files - say yes and it will take around 5 mins to scan all your BF1 models (seemingly doing nothing - please wait). The reason why you're getting "Nil Object ... " errors is because it can't find the file. I'll fix the code now so it throws a correct error.
Sounds good, Tipam. But uh, where do I delete the BF1 "you put with the program?"
computergeek
General
General
Projects :: Halo Warthog vehicle for SWBF2
Games I'm Playing :: Bioware RPGs - Halo

Post by computergeek »

I can't seem to download this
tipam
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by tipam »

Null_1138 wrote:
tipam wrote:
Sounds good, Tipam. But uh, where do I delete the BF1 "you put with the program?"
The SWBF_BF1 file is the in the zip you downloaded - when you extracted the zip, it should have extract the SWBF_BF1 file which can be found in the same directory as the Viewer - this is the one you need to remove.