The ultimate Tips&Tricks thread!

Post everything from general questions, to modding questions, to map WIPs to releases. (SWBF1 only)

Moderator: Moderators

Rends
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

The ultimate Tips&Tricks thread!

Post by Rends »

Guess it´s time to share our modding experiences. This thread should help us to create better maps in the future.
Feel free to add your Tips to this thread too! I will add them to the list.

This pertains to using the official tools for modding released here :
http://www.fileplanet.com/148801/140000 ... tion-Tools

1. Don´t create too steep hills or walls with the editor height function because you would be able to run or drive through it and fall into death ingame.

2. If your ground texture looks too bright follow saturns image tutorial to darken it:
http://people.freenet.de/Santarossa/Zeroedit1.jpg

3. If you run into the black groundtexture area around player problem add a bumpmap.tga image (greyscale) to the detail texture box in Zeroeditor with texture tile 0 selected

4. Don´t let the map edges and corners flat. Raise the edges randomly because it will give the terrain a more realistic look and you won´t notice the corners if your player will be able to go/fly near to the terrainedges.
EDIT: Read Psych0freds comments below about using or not using flat terrain edges!

5.Sometimes it´s helpfull that barriers overlap each other to prevent AI to run into a specific direction .

6. To texture hillsides and cliffs use the rotate function below the texture tile list so the texture won´t look so streched ingame.
Also use tilerange and texturemapping to achieve the right look. Modder's biggest weaknesses thus far has been texturing. Make sure you layer multiple textures and blend their edges together, don't just use one texture layer.

7. Please test your map intensive before you release it. Make sure that if you set the ticket counter higher than 200 or 300 that there is a need for it.

8. Keep an eye of Framerates. Not everyone has such a highend PC like you! Use the SBtest FR counter or fraps ( http://www.fraps.com ) to check the framerates.

9. While testing run the map more than one time because it´s possible if you did something wrong that the game crashed during the second run ( i had this problem during the Jundland wastes betatests because i forgot to delete an ODF entry wich wasn´t used and longer)

10. Check the bftest error.log file after you played your map from start to the end! Not all errors are listed right from the beginning.

11. Let AI only play your map more than one time to check if your map is well balanced.
Make sure that you switch sides for the next test run if game difficulty is set to hard because the opponent side reacts better at hard setting.

12. Read the stickies here at this board. They are there for some reasons. And don´t forget to check the documentation from time to time. Psych0fred wrote it for some reasons too :-)

13. A couple other tips, when you've finished your world and are donme placing your objetcs use burn terrain to cast shadows on the objects. You can also paint the terrain using color mode under objects where they meet the terrain to give it a more realistic look as well.

Last edited: January 28, 2005

Rends
Last edited by Rends on Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rends
Sith
Sith

RE: The ultimate Tips&Tricks thread!

Post by Rends »

Hm , i got the idea of not using flat edges from the original shipped maps. Guess there isn´t a single one with flat edges if the view isn´t not blocked by billboard objects or so and they look better than custom maps with flat edges.
Lord-Bandu

RE: Steep terrain

Post by Lord-Bandu »

using the burn terrain option.

what would happen if i thought id finished my map so i use the burn terrain ,but, a few days later i decide to put another few objects in . could i use burn terrain for a 2nd time? or would it cause problems?

....im sorry if i wasnt supposed to ask questions on this thread .
Rends
Sith
Sith

Post by Rends »

foxsta,
barriers are AI only. They won´t stop human players if they try to run/drive against steep terrains .
Rends
Sith
Sith

Post by Rends »

To Lord Bandu and others:
I suggest not to hijack this thread with questions.
It should stay clean with tips and comments regarding tips.
Please create a new thread if you have questions!
Thanks
Rends
Saturn_V
Emperor's Hand

Post by Saturn_V »

A couple of general useful points:

* Start small. Don't try to put EVERYTHING in the Star Wars universe into your first map. It only takes seconds to make a new map. Never added water? Custom teams? Vehicles? Etc etc etc. Don't try putting it straight into the map you've worked on for weeks. Make a new one and add it to that. When you understand what you need to do to get it looking and acting right, then add it to your big mod. A large mod should be the result of many small "proof of concept" test maps.

* Print out the documentation and make notes on it about things you've tried. Use pen and paper to plan your mods; even a small sketch will help keep the project focussed.

* Don't release maps too early... it's easy to find beta testers on the message boards, and it's fun to set up an online game and test them together. People who make mods understand the issues and can provide useful feedback about your map.

* If you want to ask questions in forums, be polite and use your head. Read this first:
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#rtfm

Not all of it may apply, but at least read it and take on board what they are driving at - especially the RTFM and STFW bits.

* Google is your new best friend.

* Don't be shy... the threads are getting lots of views but there are only about 10 regular posters here. Getting involved helps the community thrive and stay alive. :D

Good Luck, and May The Force Be With You.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

Eddie make a map with a force push on a tauntaun! hehe!
Saturn_V
Emperor's Hand

RE: Bonus Units

Post by Saturn_V »

Here's some of the stuff: http://www.saturnlabs.net/The_Lab/the_lab.htm ( Please excuse the mess, I'm working on a site update )

Other stuff : MTT, Hovernaut, Jawa as Player Character, Ewok as Player Character, Geonosis Hangar, Naboo Guards ( & Combat Speeder ? ), ATAT Commander (General Veers)
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

re :http://www.saturnlabs.net/The_Lab/the_lab.htm

Nice stuff ! A few things there I had no clue anyone was working on :) great to see like minded craziness.
Saturn_V
Emperor's Hand

Post by Saturn_V »

I don't recall seeing a full list of items, but I think we had a thread at LucasArts just after Christmas, as we looked through the assets and found the cut or unfinished stuff. I'll edit my earlier post to add stuff though. I have mostly concentrated on GCW era, so I bet there are a few surprises in the Clone War assets!
imp_strikeforce

Post by imp_strikeforce »

also i found a certain all_engineer_rifle_inf texture in the ALL\MSH\ folder, but i couldnt locate the corresponding .msh file. could this be used at all?
Saturn_V
Emperor's Hand

Post by Saturn_V »

Re: remote mines... Wahey !!!
L-5-R

Post by L-5-R »

Heres a very importent tip for you modder.

* Back up all you work often, so you don't loose it. this may also prevent pre-mature hair loss due to hair pulling.

I've actuly pulled a few of the models fron the .lvl's to xsi to look at them. But thats almost usless to get them in game, as Im not shure on wepon nodes, fire points ect. I wish there was a way to grab the entire .msh out of the .lvl. Wishful thinking.LOL

Pych0fred how did you get the spy working? I cant find his assets, save the spy rifle, which is the same the pilot carries. also the remot mines you mentioned, sound so cool.

Maythe force be with you....always..
imp_strikeforce

Post by imp_strikeforce »

can we get this OPM demo(what is it btw...) and/or the xbox/ps2 lvls? or are these just available to you as a developer ;)
PaNzErgsp

Post by PaNzErgsp »

Fred would it be wrong for you to post all of the assets that you have for us?
Saturn_V
Emperor's Hand

Post by Saturn_V »

If you were wondering: What should I use to edit all those different files ? How do they fit together ?

CGArtist

Post by CGArtist »

Little note on the Naboo Starfighter... I have opened the mesh up, and while the main hull is fine, it is missing nacelles.
jedimodder

Post by jedimodder »

i have a quick question, is there a way to turn a ship proper solid. cause evrytime i'm on geonosis i keep on jumpping on to the little platform on the ships that carry the clones. and when the take off i fall through, i wanna make a mod but how do u do it
jedimodder

Post by jedimodder »

its not a photo i created it,
thz for advice tho
Gynt_Ryles

Post by Gynt_Ryles »

i was looking through ODFs, and found a few things. I saw the Haywire Detonator (which Rends gave his Tusken Chief) and also the Crack Grenade. Is this an un-used grenade or is it a shortened/different name for the Concussion Grenade?

Psych0fred, I was looking at the list of localization strings you posted, and I noticed the Tactical Droid. The Imp Officer and Clone Commander (the confirmed 6th units for SWBF2) and the famous Bothan Spy are there, and this. What weapons/skins/abilities did it have? (Unless it's really IG-88?)

Also, does anyone have a pic of the Rebel Troop Transport? (in link form, please)