A Quick and Easy Step-by-Step Tutorial to Editing Factions

Post everything from general questions, to modding questions, to map WIPs to releases. (SWBF1 only)

Moderator: Moderators

Kipp

Post by Kipp »

Step 1.
The first thing you should do is download the Unsupported SDK. You can do so from this link: http://download.filefront.com/3772118;2 ... b6ecc445de
Make sure you install the SDK on your root drive. Example: C:\BFBuilder

You should also get the BFBuilder Pro which you can get from this link: http://www.secretsociety.com/forum/down ... 030605.zip

Step 2.
Open up the BFBuilder Pro and you should get a screen that looks like this:

Press “Project” and a drop down should appear like this:

Press “New Project” from the “Project” drop down menu and you should get a popup that looks like this:

Enter in any name you want into the “New Map Title” text box and then enter in a shorter name in the “New Mod Id” text box. This is what mine looks like:

Make sure you have “Both CW and GCW” selected in the “Playable Eras” drop down menu.

Once all this is done press the “Create New World” button. A popup similar to this one should appear, except instead of “DataFactionMod” it should say “Data” then what ever you entered into the new mod Id box.

Press “Yes”. The computer will think for a couple of seconds then a box that says “Done” will pop up. Press “Ok”

Step 3.
Now there should be a whole bunch of new buttons, most are for if you want to make a map. If you are interested in making a map, refer to this tutorial:
http://download.filefront.com/4093142;2 ... b6ecc445de
A very wonderful tutorial that I highly suggest reading if you want to do anything with maps.

Anyway, press the “Sides” button and a drop down menu like this should appear:

Next hover over the “Import Retail Side” option and another menu like this should appear:

Select what ever side you want to edit from here. Here is a list of what they all mean:
ALL = Rebel Allience
CIS = Separatists
DES = Desert Creatures (Like Jawas and Tuskins)
EWK = Ewoks
GAR = Jabba’s Pigs (Garmelions or something like that, not sure how it is spelt)
GEO = Geonosions
GUN = Gungans
IMP = Imperial Empire
REP = Republic
SNW = something snow I think not sure what though
WOK = Wookies

Purely for the sake of demonstration purposes I am going to choose the “WOK” one. You can choose whatever you like and you can always go back if you change your mind. You can edit as many sides as you want at the same time.

After you select one your computer will think for a little wile then a box that says “Done” will pop up, press “Ok”. After that exit out of BFBuilder Pro.

Step. 4
Now open up your BFBuilder folder. Here is were mine is located: “C:\BFBuilder”. Then look for a folder that say “Data(ModID)” except instead of (ModID) it should say what ever you entered into the ModId text box in the beginning the tutorial.

Once you find it open it, and there should be a ton of folders in there. Open the folder called “Sides”. Inside this folder there should be a folder named what ever side you chose. In my case there is a folder called “WOK”. Open up that folder. Yet again you will see some more folders, this time open up the folder named “ODF”. The amount of files that are in here depends on what side you picked. Open up any file with “Notepad”. In that file there is all kinds of stuff. You can change whatever you want! (Well within reason). For example if you want to make a wookie warrior move faster look for this line
“MaxSpeed = 7.0”
The 7.0 is how fast the wookie currently goes, lets say you want him to go super fast, change the 7.0 to a 10.0 or a 15.0! Have fun experimenting and changing around numbers and such. When your done go on to Step 5.
Step. 5
Now that your all done messing with the .odf files, it is time to put them in the game. Here is how you do it.

First, open up the BFBuilder Pro again. Then click on the “Project” button and a drop down menu should appear like the last one, this time press “Open Project” Another drop down menu should appear. Select your ModID. For example my ModID is “FactionMod” so I select the one called “FactionMod”

After you do this a bunch of buttons should appear again. This time select “Munge (ModID)”
A screen should pop up with all these file names and stuff all over it. Just wait and let it do its thing. Once it is done a blank Notepad file should appear. Exit out of that and the black window.

Now open up the BFBuilder folder again. This time open a folder called “AddOn”. In there you should see a folder with you ModId on it. Open that folder. Then Open the folder called Data. Then _lvl_pc. Then a folder called Side. In there you should see a/some .lvl file(s) called what ever side you chose to edit. For example, in mine I see one called “wok.lvl”. Copy all the ones you want to add into the game.

Now minimize that and open up this folder:
“Star Wars Battlefront\GameData\Data\_LVL_PC”

**Important!!**
Make an unaltered backup copy of the folder called “SIDE”
**Important!**

Open up the folder called “SIDE” (Not the backup!) Paste in your .lvl files. Say yes to any popup that comes up.

Now run your game and all changes you made should appear in the game.

Note:
I can’t tell you what everything in those .odf files mean, but by looking at the names you can figurer most stuff out

Oh and when you see this “//” that means that everything that comes after that is a comment. This means that you can put whatever you want after “//” and it won’t effect the game.

I don't know if this all makes sense if u got questions post here or email me at Kipp@Inbox.com and i will do my best to answere
Last edited by Kipp on Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JabbaLovesLava
Sith
Sith

RE: A Quick and Easy Step-by-Step Tutorial to Editing Factio

Post by JabbaLovesLava »

for step two you forgot about the Guard of theed ;)
Kipp

Post by Kipp »

Guard of Thead?
JabbaLovesLava
Sith
Sith

Post by JabbaLovesLava »

Ya, from the naboo map
Kipp

Post by Kipp »

I know what the Guard of Theed is, but what do u mean in step 2?
JabbaLovesLava
Sith
Sith

Post by JabbaLovesLava »

OOPS, soory, i meant step 3

>Select what ever side you want to edit from here. Here is a list of what they all mean:
>ALL = Rebel Allience
>CIS = Separatists
>DES = Desert Creatures (Like Jawas and Tuskins)
>EWK = Ewoks
>GAR = Jabba’s Pigs (Garmelions or something like that, not sure how it is spelt)
>GEO = Geonosions
>GUN = Gungans
>IMP = Imperial Empire
>REP = Republic
>SNW = something snow I think not sure what though
>WOK = Wookies

for that part ;)
chubby

Post by chubby »

Thank you! This guide just got me started on modding! Kipp, I will say this as many times as neccesary, you are my hero!
Kipp

Post by Kipp »

JabbaLovesLava:
That is a complete list of all the posible sides to import, maybe the Guard of Theed is SNW. I will have to look into that.

Chubby:
Thanks Chubby, and good luck with your modding. :D

(btw, do you mind telling me were you got that sig or were i could find others like it? Yours is realy cool!)
NegativeSmiley

Post by NegativeSmiley »

SNW was the wampa that never got put in game. If u check the defult localization he has the "Claw of Death". Also I belive if you check the REQ file under SNW it says snw_inf_whompa. Obviously it wasn't finished or put in game. As for the gaurds GAR is actually the Naboo guys and GAM is for Gammoreans. GAM can be found under C:\BFBuilder\Assets\Shipped Add On\DataTAT3\Sides.

Hope this helps
Tedarm92

Post by Tedarm92 »

I did all of that and changed the other cp to 3 (locals) but as soon as the game starts, the victory countdown timer starts. How can I fix it?
Ace_Azzameen_5
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by Ace_Azzameen_5 »

This seems to happen once in while. I can't tell you why or how, all I can tell you is your going to need to re-place
your command posts in zeroedit, or start a new project, whatever is easier for you.

FYI the command post odf can be found in the com folder, just browse (in zeroedit objects section)
and look for com_bldg_commandpost or something like that.

Please note that anything in the common folder does not get munged with the map,
it just adds 'links' to objects that are in the actuall battlefront game install, hence the name 'common'.
So, if ever you want to edit a common object, you'll have to copy(to your 'datamodid/worlds/modid/odf' folder) and
rename the odf before making any changes. The odfs in the com folder folder are stand-ins.
Astute
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel

Post by Astute »

Hmm, this tutorial doesn't seem to work for me, i paste in the imp.lvl file yet i still get dark troopers instead of storm commandos. I've tried everything i can think of, renaming, remunging, even taking the darktrooper from the game and the storm commando still doesn't show.
Revoloution

Post by Revoloution »

Yeah, and my game just shuts down when I start to load the level with the pasted faction.
lordnyax

Help

Post by lordnyax »

i followed the steps until step 5 . when i reopen bfbulder pr it does not have the project i changed in the "open project list" what do i do now!!!!
Leviathan
Missing Jedi Admin

RE: Help

Post by Leviathan »

Off-topic : Well, it seems that both BFBuilder and BFBuilder Pro may encounter a few problems while attempting to add brand-new entries inside the "Project > Open Project" menu, and I doubt they can be worked out so easily, lordnyax, which means you might have to proceed manually in further steps provided in the above Tutorial. Therefore, so as to "munge" a specific Project, you will have to launch a file named "munge.bat", located inside the "BFBuilder\Data[ModID]"...

PS : For further references related to either BFBuilder or BFBuilder Pro, I guess that this thread should be transformed into a "Sticky"...
IASFireBomB

Post by IASFireBomB »

The link for BF Builder Pro is dead, where can I get it?
Laserblast
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Post by Laserblast »

The BFBuilder Pro is still in the same site. Open the psychofred site from the links, go to downloads, BF1, and download it from there.
jedikiller32
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer

Post by jedikiller32 »

Actually, I've noticed the Downloads link seems broken.

Click on the link below to download BFBuilder Pro.

http://www.secretsociety.com/forum/down ... 030605.zip
IASFireBomB

Post by IASFireBomB »

Thanks Jedikiller :)
NovaBlast

Re: A Quick and Easy Step-by-Step Tutorial to Editing Factions

Post by NovaBlast »

I did everything step-by-step, and NOTHING changed.. not even the speed or the weapon load-out OR the ammo..... there has to be something more