fortresscraft - get your minecraft xbox 360 groove on!

Want to share hints on the best games you've downloaded? New demo we all need to see? Find other xbox players here, share ideas on everything Xbox live related!

Moderator: Moderators

guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

fortresscraft - get your minecraft xbox 360 groove on!

Post by guru »

http://www.fortresscraft.com/

Indie minecraft game for a few bucks on live, anyone else playing this game? I checked it out kinda fun considering it was a trial, dev says we can play up to 32 people , seemed to have alot to do very similar to minecraft, like 90% clone of minecraft.

If love to buy this if enough of you are playing this title, $3 or whatever is worth supporting the xbox version of minecraft goodness.

In looking at some feedback from dev here was some replies to people saying this game is a clone. it is but he is denying it so he doesnt get sued lol. im sure the real minecraft is hard at work trying to get ported to xbox properly but whatever 1st come 1st serve.

From game dev not guru:
I’m really honestly bemused by all the vitriol about ‘copying minecraft’. You *DO* all know that Minecraft (creative) is a DIRECT copy of Infimininer? And that both of those games can clearly and directly trace their routes back to Roblox, Wurm Online, Voxlap, 3d Construction Kit.

Many of you seem to have come across Minecraft as the first game of this ilk. It’s not, it’s not even close, not by 20+ years.

Many of you have decided that I will be writing ‘survival’ mode, and having the Nether, and Creepers.

I’m not. There’s a very very long thread that details what I *have* said I’d write. That’s easy to find, it’ll have pictures of minecarts in it ;)

And as this seems to be a pretty good place to make this clear, I’ll do my best. But it’s 2am and I’ve spent the last 5 hours answering messages instead of coding…

All games are inspired by other games. Minecraft inspired me…

…but not to clone it.

Minecraft inspired me, by way of its Voxlap-style engine (see : Ken Silverman) to look at starting again on my Dwarf Fortress-type game, using a Minecraft-type engine. I gave up on that 18 months ago, but I’ve learned a lot in this time.

I can’t imagine that ANY of you think that I could, pretty much single-handedly, write a Voxlap-style engine *and* game in SIX weeks, based on having no prior engine or code I could use?

Chapter 1 is a toy, an engine, a sandbox. Just like Minecraft Creative mode was.

Chapter 2 will start to introduce the game.

Regardless of that, there’s no intellectual property I could be sued over for this. Notch has invented no new technology for this game. I’m not infringing his copyright or trademarks. He himself has said he’s happy for clones and remakes and mods and tools.

Yet you see fit to berate me for doing what I love above all else, which is to make games. In your world, would you be happy with just 1 FPS game, and the devs of that game suing every other FPS game?

I wouldn’t. What would make me happy is a hundred FPS games, each one designed for a different type of player, of personality.

In FortressCraft, there will be no creepers; and mine carts will say guru rocks on them!
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Re: fortresscraft - get your minecraft xbox 360 groove on!

Post by Grev »

I saw this earlier on Kotaku. Not sure what to think. Then again, his FPS analogy really sells his point.

Somewhat off-topic: Your switch in person/quoting made me think for a while that you were the developer. Freaked there for a second. Had to re-read a few times.
guru
Jawa Admin
Jawa Admin
Projects :: swbf 1 vanilla
Games I'm Playing :: any mobile rpg

Post by guru »

I updated the paste part so it's from dev
The game is fun so far just messing around
DeathRow
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: None.
Games I'm Playing :: Life
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DeathRow »

Not available in Australia.. grr.