Star Wars: X-Wing and Star Wars: TIE Fighter coming to GOG

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Star Wars: X-Wing and Star Wars: TIE Fighter coming to GOG

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

http://kotaku.com/x-wing-tie-fighter-ar ... 651470045/
Kotaku wrote:Jeez, it only took decades, but two of the finest space combat games - not to mention best Star Wars games - of all time are about to get a re-release.

Special downloadable versions of both X-Wing and Tie Fighter will soon be released on Good Old Games. They'll be $10 each.

For that price you're getting not just the special editions of the games (which had slightly higher resolutions and improved sound, as well all of both games' expansions), but more importantly they'll be editions of the games that will run on a modern PC without the need to tinker.
The Special Edition offered here, includes Star Wars™: TIE Fighter and Star Wars™: TIE Fighter - Defender of the Empire, both in the 1994 and 1998 versions!
The Special Edition offered here, includes Star Wars: X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM and both Tour of Duty expansions: Imperial Pursuit and B-Wing.

It's crazy that it's taken this long. These games were two of the giants of PC gaming in the 1990s, and from the mission design to the combat still hold up very well today. If you've never played either of them, but keep hearing people like me blabbing on about how Diet Dr. Pepper fantastic they were/are, this is going to be $10 well spent.

Note that the announcement of both games comes via a GoG forum notice, which spilled the beans a little early. Similar postings reveal other classic Lucasarts games will also be coming to GoG, such as Fate of Atlantis, KOTOR and Sam & Max (though of course they're exciting, since they've long been available on services like Steam).

Given the timing of the posting, it looks like both X-Wing and Tie Fighter will be available as early as tomorrow
Ping
Sith
Sith

Re: Star Wars: X-Wing and Star Wars: TIE Fighter coming to G

Post by Ping »

Freaking awesome. I played X-Wing Alliance a bit and loved it, so I can't wait to get my hands on these. Now all's they have to do is get Grim Fandango and Monkey Island 3 (and possibly 4) released. ;)
GAB
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Post by GAB »

So wait, let me see if I understood well, they are re-releasing all these Star Wars classics but now optimized for modern PCs?
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Not really optimized... But yeah, I mean GOG is pretty much guaranteeing that you can install these games on the latest OSes without hassle for years to come.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

I believe Grim Fandango is also getting a re-release, too. I will definitely pick as many of these games up as I can. Also, a quick question: do you need a joystick to play any of the flight sims, or can you make do with a mouse and keyboard?
Marth8880
Resistance Leader
Projects :: DI2 + Psychosis
Games I'm Playing :: Silent Hill 2
xbox live or psn: Marth8880

Post by Marth8880 »

Ping wrote:I believe Grim Fandango is also getting a re-release, too.
Ahhhh! I need to play that still! :runaway: