League of Legends

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

noMatt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: The Map has no name so see alpha
Games I'm Playing :: Crysis Battlefront
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

League of Legends

Post by noMatt »

Hey guys is here a league of legends gamer?
is someone up for a game :) ?
My name is noMatt
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Re: League of Legends

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I'm pretty sure Noobasaurus used to play, not sure if he still does.

I tried, but then I discovered that I hate the genre (MOBA) altogether.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Tried it.
Wasn't into it.
The response I keep hearing when I tell people this:
"Come on, TW, you gotta play more than a couple matches to really get into it. And you gotta play with friends, can't try it alone."
1) I played for 3 days. Few matches a day with a variety of champs. If that's not enough time to get into it, it's not worth getting into.
2) I did play with friends. Good players, too, they'd been playing for a few months.

It's just not my thing. One of my good friends REALLY keeps pushing it, though, so I may give it a second chance one of these days.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

THEWULFMAN wrote:I'm pretty sure Noobasaurus used to play, not sure if he still does.
Yeah, I still play it. I usually play a few games on the weekends which are usually with friends.

IGN: Cinnabun
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

Related to this: Anyone heard about Smite? Some of my friends are really getting into it, but I generally dislike Hi-Rez studios after and updater annoyance.
noMatt
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant
Projects :: The Map has no name so see alpha
Games I'm Playing :: Crysis Battlefront
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by noMatt »

smite is a summoner spell in league if you mean this. its used as jungler :D
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

He means another MOBA called SMITE
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smite_(video_game)
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

I've heard of Smite, but I've never tried it. Apparently it has a really nice community (unlike LoL).
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

That'll change...
Always does...
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

What will, the fact that I've never played it or LoL's bad community?

I assume it's the former.

I might get around to downloading it if I can get off the indie game DB and if I can beat ENV.

Ugh. No streaming other games until I beat ENV. I AM ALONE was hard enough.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

SMITE's nice community. It will change. It will degenerate. As is what happens to MOBAs. Where they force you into competition where you are not only competing on complete strangers, but relying on other complete strangers, for 30 minutes to an hour at a time. You can't one-man-army a MOBA like you can in other online multiplayer games where a single, fantastic player can turn the tides. Every little mistake your teammates make, every obvious thing they miss, becomes a personal slight against you. And god forbid someone has to leave a match early. You may as well have killed your teammates' mothers. Collectively. You've doomed them all.

Smaller, less popular MOBAs, like SMITE have gotten away with being nice for now, but only because they are exactly that: smaller and less popular. There are fewer new players to be aggravated at (they're just so adorable, like a toddler learning to walk... why don't you help that one?), and the veterans, for the most part, know each other. Once it gets bigger, though... Anonymity starts to spread. Teammates become faceless names who you care less about, and who are subsequently stealing your kills. (For the record, I never understood that. Kill steal. Why does it matter if you're on the same team? The common enemy is dead. Unless the champ gets a boost from the kill, why does it matter who hits last and gets the number?)
And new players are less adorable, more a nuisance (SONOFA- WHY IS MY TEAM ALWAYS THE ONE WITH NOOBS ON IT? THEY NEVER WIN).

I can appreciate the camaraderie of a group of friends or a legitimate team competing in these MOBAs. They synergize, having battled alongside each other for a long time. I get the appeal of the games. But the basic psychology of what makes up most of the game, that inherent social-but-antisocial attitude subconsciously instilled in community after time, is what turns me away.

Or maybe I just take myself too seriously as I waste my time on Warframe, Borderlands, and SW:TOR.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

Twilight just perfectly described the number one reason I hate MOBA's.
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

+1 for Twilight.

It's always hard to become a member of an already-close MOBA team, too.
ANDEWEGET
Ancient Force
Ancient Force

Post by ANDEWEGET »

The bigger the community, the more toxic it gets. I don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be though (in Dota 2/in my experience).
There sadly are practically always some flamers in a game, oh well, mute button or ignore. It does take a lot to get people to do more than that in my experience.

Just being able to enjoy yourself (even when losing) is probably most important. As long as your teammates don't mess up your game intentionally (which does not happen often to me) it will be as fun as you make it.