Pokemon X and Pokemon Y

Want to know about a game? Should we buy that new upcoming release? Post your thoughts on new games and ones you have...so others can know whether to buy it or not! All non-SWBF, non-modding topics should go here.

Moderator: Moderators

Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Pokemon X and Pokemon Y

Post by Fusion »

Not every team needs to be 100% Smogon Approved. It worked, didn't it? I'm aware of the things that could be done to prevent Butterfree (Flinch, Klefki, Grass Types...) but it's good to have a surprise every once in a while to make things interesting.

I have Fire Punch on my Blaziken because I needed one move where it wouldn't get recoil no matter what instead of risking fainting my main attacker to take off like, 50 HP from the enemy. It already has Hi Jump Kick and Brave Bird, but I'll probably switch out Fire Punch with Flare Blitz once Thunder Punch becomes available. I've lost a few times in the past because of recoil, and it's also the reason why I'm reluctant to use Life Orb on anything but Roost Scizor.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Fusion wrote:Not every team needs to be 100% Smogon Approved. It worked, didn't it? I'm aware of the things that could be done to prevent Butterfree (Flinch, Klefki, Grass Types...) but it's good to have a surprise every once in a while to make things interesting.
I'm not talking about a metagame choice, I'm just saying that it's a weird choice to... well, anyone. Butterfree is like the ur-example of "okay, some 'mons can't stick with me for the whole game." It's cool that you're using him, it's just a weird contrast to see a guy like that paired with silly-OP Blaziken (who's so good he's almost boring to use - who I use anyway, so no judgement here). I don't think I've ever trained the starter bug up past about 20 or 30, and I've used them every game.

On that, I'm a big fan of Shadow Claw for a no-miss move on Blaziken, although I miss out on the chance to have Brave Bird.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Maveritchell wrote:
Fusion wrote:Not every team needs to be 100% Smogon Approved. It worked, didn't it? I'm aware of the things that could be done to prevent Butterfree (Flinch, Klefki, Grass Types...) but it's good to have a surprise every once in a while to make things interesting.
I'm not talking about a metagame choice, I'm just saying that it's a weird choice to... well, anyone.
...Wasn't this the point? Humor?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Twilight_Warrior wrote: ...Wasn't this the point? Humor?
Maybe, but you guys have to know I don't have a sense of humor. I don't get things like "jokes" or "comedy."
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

I'm just sayin :P
Kinda overthinking the fact that he's using a gorram Butterfree in semi-legitimate competition...
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

So, I've gotta ask: does anyone want to swap legendaries back and forth (X/Y, the legendary birds) to get the Pokedex entries? I've got Yveltal and Moltres.
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: CTF Arenas
Games I'm Playing :: Steam- cressalbane2

Post by CressAlbane »

I'd like to.
Xerneas / Moltres

Just had a grand time in my first few online battles wiping the floor with some Yveltals, Mewtwo-X's, and assorted starters with my lowly Octillery, Hawlucha, and Greninja.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

11/15:
I did the impossible: I found someone on wifi who wasn't a total jerk. We found each other through Wonder Trade and are now on our respective friend lists.

We traded:
Timid Illusion 4V Zorua ENG for Adamant Guts 3V Larvitar w/Egg Moves JPN
Adamant Dry Skin 4V Croagunk w/Egg Moves ENG for Timid Infiltrator 5V Noibat w/Egg Moves JPN
Bold Sticky Hold 4V Shellos ENG for Jolly Pressure 4V Aerodactyl JPN
Lonely Rock Head 4V Bagon ENG for Jolly Sand Veil 4V Gible w/Egg Moves JPN
Timid Anticipation 3V Eevee ENG for Adamant Technician 5V Semargle JPN

Amazing how we did this without even being able to speak to each other due to the language barrier.

11/22:
Does anyone here have a Swift Swim Poliwag that they can trade me? I can trade a lot of 3V-4V things I have stored up after my various breeding projects. I need this Poliwag for Drizzle Politoed, which is kind of necessary for my team.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Fusion, I've got a safari with Poliwhirl in it, so I'm pretty sure I have a Swift Swim Poliwhirl sitting around somewhere. If you'd be willing to help me do some trade-and-swap-backs (to fill out my Pokedex, trade-evolve, that kind of thing), I'd be happy to send him off to you. Just throw me a trade request the next time you see me online.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Of course someone has one within a half hour of finding a person with a Poliwhirl Friend Safari. :P

Thanks for the offer though, if you need help with some Trade Evolutions I'd be happy to help, as those fill out pages in my dex too. Just not too many, when I did this with Cress my 3DS blackscreened and couldn't launch the home menu without a forced shutdown, so I might have a few problems when it comes to extensive wifi use.

Also, my offer of 3V-4V Pokemon still stands to anyone here who also has some breeding project rejects. I'll have a larger selection once I finish up this rain team, so no rush.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

I need to rant a bit, so pardon me.

I spent two weeks prepping for a tournament my University is holding. No rules were posted, so assumptions had to be made. We all assumed six-mon single battle, with legendary restrictions.

It's a double battle.
And there are legendary restrictions, but also Mega evolution restrictions. Completely arbitrary ones. Like Mega Blaziken, Mega Gengar, and Mega Tyranitar. But not every Mega is banned. When asked why some of them were banned, the answer we were given was "because of their ability." They're not banned for power. They're banned for strategy. This is complete and utter crap.

I'll update with how I do, but since I prepped for singles (as did most of the participants), the result probably isn't going to be great.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:And there are legendary restrictions, but also Mega evolution restrictions. Completely arbitrary ones. Like Mega Blaziken, Mega Gengar, and Mega Tyranitar. But not every Mega is banned. When asked why some of them were banned, the answer we were given was "because of their ability." They're not banned for power. They're banned for strategy. This is complete and utter crap.
Mega Gengar makes a tiny bit of sense, since he has a legitimately scary ability change (from Levitate to Shadow Tag). The other two are pretty weird, though, since I don't think their abilities change when they mega-evolve.

They probably went with doubles since it's the standard format for "official" tournaments. At least you're in the same boat as most everyone else, right?
Fusion wrote:Also, my offer of 3V-4V Pokemon still stands to anyone here who also has some breeding project rejects. I'll have a larger selection once I finish up this rain team, so no rush.
What are your breeding rejects? I'd be happy to swap with you just to have some decent-IV breeding helpers. I've wonder-traded most of my breeding rejects away, but I've still got a lot of Icicle Spear/Rock Blast/Skill Link Shellders, and I could re-breed some high-IV Nasty Plot Togepis and Hustle Nidorans (in fact, I've got two 6-IV Nidorans, one male and one female, so I've got a 100% 5-IV Nidoran breeding if you want it).
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Twilight_Warrior wrote: It's a double battle.
And there are legendary restrictions, but also Mega evolution restrictions. Completely arbitrary ones. Like Mega Blaziken, Mega Gengar, and Mega Tyranitar. But not every Mega is banned. When asked why some of them were banned, the answer we were given was "because of their ability." They're not banned for power. They're banned for strategy. This is complete and utter crap.
They didn't post the rules at all? So basically they went with some random banlist similar to Smogon's in Gen 5? For Doubles? What? I mean, I understand banning Dark Void or having sleep clause, but that's ridiculous.

If you want later I'll battle you so all that work isn't for nothing. That seriously sucks.
Maveritchell wrote:What are your breeding rejects? I'd be happy to swap with you just to have some decent-IV breeding helpers. I've wonder-traded most of my breeding rejects away, but I've still got a lot of Icicle Spear/Rock Blast/Skill Link Shellders, and I could re-breed some high-IV Nasty Plot Togepis and Hustle Nidorans (in fact, I've got two 6-IV Nidorans, one male and one female, so I've got a 100% 5-IV Nidoran breeding if you want it).
The Shellder and Nidroan Male would be great. I can offer Poliwag (Swift Swim with Encore), Goomy (Sap Sipper), Croagunk, Helioptile (Dry Skin or Sand Veil), Lotad (need to start tomorrow), Wooper (need to start tomorrow), Zorua, Eevee, Caterpie, Aron (need to check on how many I have left, got really lucky with a 4V early on), and Fennekin (Blaze). I tend to trade these out a lot so I might not have one at 4V or even 3V, but they at least have a good nature.
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by CressAlbane »

Hey, if you're feeling charitable, I'd be interested in a Shellder of any sort, though Skill Link would be awesome. Don't really care about IVs.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

CressAlbane wrote:Hey, if you're feeling charitable, I'd be interested in a Shellder of any sort, though Skill Link would be awesome. Don't really care about IVs.
What's your username in the game? I know I've got you on my friends list, but I don't think the names that pop up in the game are the same as the names on the 3DS friends list.
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by CressAlbane »

My in-game name is Cress.
I haven't seen you on my friends list in-game, either.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Maveritchell wrote:Mega Gengar makes a tiny bit of sense, since he has a legitimately scary ability change (from Levitate to Shadow Tag). The other two are pretty weird, though, since I don't think their abilities change when they mega-evolve
While I acknowledge the point, I have to point out that 1) losing levitate makes earthquake sweepers super effective against him, 2) even if you Mega Evolve Gengar, switching out takes priority to the Mega evolution (my friend and I tested this prior to the tournament), so you can switch into something that can kill him before you're stuck with your choice, and 3) Gengar is super squishy. He might be able to take out a Pokemon before you can switch into something that finishes it, but that's true for normal Gengar, too.

I just feel like if they're going to ban the ability, Mean Look should have been banned, too. But it wasn't....

Anyway, it's a moot point. Apparently, the guy we first asked had no idea what he was talking about and was pulling an excuse from thin air. The way (we were told) they chose the banned megas was by lookin at their base stats and if even one was higher than a certain number, it was out. So every starter, Gengar, Blaziken, Tyrannitar (though strangely, not Aggron), Mewtwo (though he was banned on the legendary list, regardless), and a couple of others that escape me. Which is also complete crap, as most of us had starters on our teams to mega evolve, but whatever. I went with Alakazam, and it wasnt banned, so while I wasnt happy, I had that going for me.

Ended up in the final match. Lost to a combination of Speed Boost Blaziken and Garchomp. If it weren't for that gosh-darn Garchomp, I woulda had it... I took it down, but it was too little, too late. We each had one Pokemon left, and his Roserade ousted my weakened Gengar. It was a close fight, though, so I'm pretty proud of how my first tournament, ever, turned out, given the circumstances.
CressAlbane
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by CressAlbane »

Hey, congratz. Looks like you're almost the very best, like no one ever was.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Cress, great to see you on. I was actually just looking through the GTS to see how I could finagle getting a Xerneas when your trade offer popped up. I think now, aside from seeing Articuno and Zapdos, I've seen all the available Pokemon to see. Let me know if you're looking for something else to fill out your dex/get for your team.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Something that I've seen work, both through other people and myself, is catching a wild Scyther, putting a metal coat on it and asking for any legendary. It depends on a few factors, but generally if you keep the Scyther offer up for 5-6 hours you'll get whatever you're looking for. Just remember to take it down if it hasn't traded by that time or it'll never work, it'll just get pushed to page 2 of the offers.

There's a couple guides on how to get extra Metal Coats, but typically if you lead with a Pokemon that has Compound Eyes with Thief and find a Magneton, it'll have one.

Sorry I haven't been online with Y much, everyone, I've had internet issues (Verizon gets weird town-wide when there's rain) and I had to finish up my Nuzlocke of X to get my Articuno and backup/X-clusive Mega Stones so I could do a normal run of it.

(The Nuzlocke went pretty well, I only lost a Bunnelby at the beginning. I almost lost Chesnaught to Siebold's Starmie's Psychic but it lived with 1 HP. Also, got really lucky with my Route 21 catch: it was a Scyther with 31 in Sp.Def. That alone allowed it to tank Mega Gardevoir's Moonblast with more than half health.)