Mon Calamari

Discussion, progress updates, and downloads for the Dark Times and Rising Son mods.

Moderator: Moderators

Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Mon Calamari

Post by Xavious »

Here's my map I decided to make for Dark Times. It's a smallish, platform-based map on (you guessed it) Mon Calamari.
Hidden/Spoiler:
And I do believe Mav already has some work done on this map, so he should be along shortly to show it off.
inky
Second Lance Corporal
Second Lance Corporal

Re: Mon Calamari

Post by inky »

Nice! :P
I really like the glow given off by the lights.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Looks good, Xav. The only complaint I have with it is that the grass looks too dark to be Mon Calamari. I always remembered the grass being bright green and full of life, here it looks dead.
DarthD.U.C.K.
Master of the Force
Master of the Force

Post by DarthD.U.C.K. »

Nova Hawk wrote:Looks good, Xav. The only complaint I have with it is that the grass looks too dark to be Mon Calamari. I always remembered the grass being bright green and full of life, here it looks dead.
i agree, an other groundtextur could fit the platfomrs and huts better
The_Emperor
Supreme Galactic Ruler
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by The_Emperor »

Nice, love the green glow. Very neat.
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

I'm not so fond of the Geonosis spires, but the overall design of the map is nice. I'm not so sure about the atmosphere either, but the only visual reference I have for the planet is the mission from Rogue Squadron on the N64, and I suppose it has to rain at some time on the planet.
Blade117
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Blade117 »

Nice map. Very glow-y. I like it, but yeah the ground texture could be a bit brighter/more colorful..
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Xavious wrote:And I do believe Mav already has some work done on this map, so he should be along shortly to show it off.
I sure will. I've actually been done with the updates to this map since last weekend (in fact I've spent this week working on an entirely different map), but I wanted to let the original post sit for a while so that there was at least a basis for comparison.
Eggman wrote:I'm not so fond of the Geonosis spires, but the overall design of the map is nice. I'm not so sure about the atmosphere either, but the only visual reference I have for the planet is the mission from Rogue Squadron on the N64, and I suppose it has to rain at some time on the planet.
For the most part this echoes my thoughts. I think the design of the map is super and it works really well, but I wasn't sure about the visual design. To aid this, I made a couple changes.

First, I wanted to make sure the water was a little more prominent. I increased the water level while at the same time reducing its resolution, which actually means it's less memory-intensive to render now, even with more water visible. Second, I wanted the map to feel a little more like what I thought Mon Calamari should be, and despite not having a lot of visual reference for the planet, something about the original design didn't sit quite right. To that end, I went ahead and made it themed more like a polar sea, which helped to unify the design colorwise and give me a more unique palette to work with.

I actually removed the rain from the original map and gave it three different weather conditions - hail, windstorm, and cloudy day. The color blue is a lot more prominent this time around, and I think that's why it works a little better - even if we're not seeing a lot of blue from the water, there's still a lot of blue to be seen as the water blends with the land (ice and snow) a lot better.
Hidden/Spoiler:
And yes, the only reason that one picture is in there is because I thought it was funny seeing Han run around with a glowing head.
Nihillo
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter

Post by Nihillo »

I think the green lights should be blue, but aside of that it's a cool map, ice is not what comes to my mind when I think of Mon Calamari (instead I think of this), but I guess it's a justifiable setting, I'm sure the planet has winters or polar caps of some sort.
Xavious
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Xavious »

Looks great. The new environment works well.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Nice update Mav, I didn't know Mon Cal had snow or hail or anything like that. I've always portrayed it as a bright-green planet with a lot of water. But I guess it should have snow somewhere... :thumbs:
fiddler_on_the_roof
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by fiddler_on_the_roof »

Awesome map. As said, the glow looks awesome. Nice Work!!