Rising Son wants you!

Discussion, progress updates, and downloads for the Dark Times and Rising Son mods.

Moderator: Moderators

Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: Rising Son wants you!

Post by Maveritchell »

lucasfart wrote:what do i do if i wanna contribute a map but my internet is too slow to send 300mbs of data to you? would it just mean i cant help or could i just send you the completed map? i've been working on a dagobah map which is turning out pretty good so far......
If you aren't able to send the data folder to me, then I can't use it, since I have to add extra things to it. Before you (or anyone) even think about sending data to me, though, I'd want to see pictures of it in a PM and play it through.

And while I appreciate the offer, unless your Dagobah map really brings something new to the table (compared to stock Dagobah), then I probably won't need it - the stock maps are already good maps and I don't need rehashes of them.
lucasfart
Sith
Sith
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by lucasfart »

Maveritchell wrote:
lucasfart wrote:what do i do if i wanna contribute a map but my internet is too slow to send 300mbs of data to you? would it just mean i cant help or could i just send you the completed map? i've been working on a dagobah map which is turning out pretty good so far......
If you aren't able to send the data folder to me, then I can't use it, since I have to add extra things to it. Before you (or anyone) even think about sending data to me, though, I'd want to see pictures of it in a PM and play it through.

And while I appreciate the offer, unless your Dagobah map really brings something new to the table (compared to stock Dagobah), then I probably won't need it - the stock maps are already good maps and I don't need rehashes of them.
ah ok......well, i haven't finished it yet, but i doubt it will be as good as the original so there goes my map :( ah well, i'll just release it on my own...
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Anywhere is a "viable location." However, since that particular location doesn't have a whole lot of visual reference, a map made with that name could probably be named a whole lot of other things.

I'm not super-concerned about the names of things. I've already changed the name of a couple of the maps submitted simply to fit them with better-known or more-recognizable locations. If, in the example you gave, "Kemplex IX" had a whole slew of visual references that made it identifiable as such, then yes of course, I would use that name. Otherwise, a space station over one planet is the same as a space station over any other. The bottom line is that the map is more important than the name. If I had it my way, everyone would create highly-recognizable recreations of well-known but underused locations, but that is simply not viable.
Darth_Squoobus
General
General

Post by Darth_Squoobus »

Maveritchell wrote:
Anywhere is a "viable location." However, since that particular location doesn't have a whole lot of visual reference, a map made with that name could probably be named a whole lot of other things.

I'm not super-concerned about the names of things. I've already changed the name of a couple of the maps submitted simply to fit them with better-known or more-recognizable locations. If, in the example you gave, "Kemplex IX" had a whole slew of visual references that made it identifiable as such, then yes of course, I would use that name. Otherwise, a space station over one planet is the same as a space station over any other. The bottom line is that the map is more important than the name. If I had it my way, everyone would create highly-recognizable recreations of well-known but underused locations, but that is simply not viable.
I chose that location because it looked like it could be made out of Rhen var, Yavin and possibly naboo props, and since no-one has ever tried a floating temple-like structure (except Dann Boeing :P ), I wanted to give it a shot. Guess I better look for a similar location with more reference pictures.
StarkillerMarek
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel

Post by StarkillerMarek »

How are the maps going to fit into the Dark Times? Are you going to "configure" the sides and gameplay so that they are more like your orignal Dark Times Release? Are "campaign" style levels accepted?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

StarkillerMarek wrote:How are the maps going to fit into the Dark Times? Are you going to "configure" the sides and gameplay so that they are more like your orignal Dark Times Release? Are "campaign" style levels accepted?
Sides aren't really part of a map. As with all of the maps others have contributed to Dark Times, I'll make whatever tweaks I see necessary to make the maps work. At a minimum, every map is going to have to work for conquest and control modes - however much I have to change a map to make that happen, I will.
StarkillerMarek
Rebel Colonel
Rebel Colonel

Post by StarkillerMarek »

Alright. I am not sure anything of mine will get off the ground, but seems like I might as well go ahead and try.
skelltor
Sith
Sith
Projects :: BFSM
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII
xbox live or psn: skelltor95

Post by skelltor »

Do you want anything other than maps like effects or stuff?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

I am well-versed in creating both "effects" and "stuff" - it's maps and maps alone I'd like done as anything else I can do relatively quickly myself.
skelltor
Sith
Sith
Projects :: BFSM
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII
xbox live or psn: skelltor95

Post by skelltor »

Ok i was just wondering cause maps are one thing i cant do.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

At this time, I'm no longer taking any new maps; I'm certainly not done but this is the cutoff for new land maps being added by other people. A big "thanks" to all that contributed - Eggman, EraOfDesann (twice!), bobfinkl, Skyhammer, and Xavious.