Kashyyyk: Treetops

Discussion, progress updates, and downloads for the Dark Times and Rising Son mods.

Moderator: Moderators

Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Kashyyyk: Treetops

Post by Maveritchell »

This map was a whole lot of fun to make. While I almost always balk at the idea of redoing a stock planet, I think you will agree with me that this is so far different from any version of Kashyyyk that's been made that it doesn't really matter that it's the same planet. I don't plan on doing any other stock planets for this mod, but there were really no other options for "planets with giant tree-cities."

There were a lot of fun "hacks" I got to use in making this look right and some new things I got to try, and in the end I am really pleased by the look I pulled off. And it only took about a week or two - when I can just make maps and not have to worry about writing a big 'ol campaign to go with them, things move a lot faster. Using stock textures helps a lot too. :wink:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
Hidden/Spoiler:
One of the fun new things I got to try was trying to make AI jump over a path-barrier. Usually you can't have overlapping paths (in three dimensions), but in the CP in the large tree (pictures 2 and 5), I wanted to have AI both jumping out of the windows up top and not have AI run into the walls on the bottom. One-way pathing is easy, but AI will still run into the wall without a barrier - but it turns out that if the barrier is small enough and the AI have a movement they can't cancel through it (i.e. a jump), then they can pass through while jumping and not the other way around.

It's a small victory, but those are always the fun ones. :)
Nova Hawk
Banned
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Re: Kashyyyk: Treetops

Post by Nova Hawk »

Wow, that looks amazing, Mav! Will this map contain a campaign where you play as Vader like in the first TFU mission?
DarthHamster
Rebel Warrant Officer
Rebel Warrant Officer
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by DarthHamster »

Whoa.. That looks incredible. :eek: I couldn't really tell from the pictures but is this going to have a night sky? I love night maps.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

Looks nice. :D
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Nova Hawk wrote:Wow, that looks amazing, Mav! Will this map contain a campaign where you play as Vader like in the first TFU mission?
Thanks and no it won't. This part of Kashyyyk was never in Force Unleashed.
DarthHamster wrote:I couldn't really tell from the pictures but is this going to have a night sky?
It is twilight in the picture but yes, it will also have a night sky.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Post by Anakin »

will this be an update or an expension or are the old funktion integrated??

the map?: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Delta-1035
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: TOR GCWII GCW1035 BF1035
xbox live or psn: Johnny_Sciroppo

Post by Delta-1035 »

Looks amazing! :D
Blade117
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Blade117 »

This map looks great. If it crashes my comp (which it conceivably could) I will be greatly saddened. Just a question: How many maps are you planning on adding?
Eggman
Master Bounty Hunter
Master Bounty Hunter
Projects :: Battlefront Chronicles

Post by Eggman »

That is absolutely beautiful.
Maveritchell wrote:And it only took about a week or two - when I can just make maps and not have to worry about writing a big 'ol campaign to go with them, things move a lot faster
Definitely. I've been making a few plain conquest/CTF maps lately, and they've been some of the most fun I've had with modding. Granted, the campaign missions I do are short and sweet, but mapping is so much simpler when the map is designed around a good old conquest match and not something more complicated. :)
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

For a Kashyyyk map this looks pretty phenomenal. It reminds me a lot of the Wookiee village in Heir to the Empire.
sampip
General
General
Projects :: Something big. And exciting.
Games I'm Playing :: Battlefield 3
xbox live or psn: masowner66

Post by sampip »

Hadn't seen the new forum yet, but this map looks very good, like the others!
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Blade117 wrote:This map looks great. If it crashes my comp (which it conceivably could) I will be greatly saddened. Just a question: How many maps are you planning on adding?
I would be very surprised if it crashes for you - it has no water and I can run it on my computer at "high" settings, and my PC is definitely a lower-end one.

I plan on adding maps until I don't want any more. To be honest I have no idea how many that will entail.
Broken_box
Rebel Sergeant
Rebel Sergeant

Post by Broken_box »

This looks very good indeed.

It's fun to watch the bots jump off the barge in Mos E, so it'll be fun for them to jump out the windows here! well done.
Hebes24
Sith Master
Sith Master

Post by Hebes24 »

Excellent map, Mav'. Very unique. I love the atmosphere.
Tom-E
Recruit Womprat Killer

Post by Tom-E »

Where is the atmosphere, Hebes? The map looks very empty and I don't like the size of the street(?).
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Tom-E wrote:Where is the atmosphere, Hebes?
I don't know how to respond to this. Are you not looking or are you simply trolling for a response? It looks almost exactly like I wanted it to, and while of course the degree to which that is pleasing will change person-to-person, the fact that it looks nice and conveys the appropriate Kashyyyk atmosphere is pretty hard to ignore. Of course I could be so wrapped up in this being my own work to think straight, but I usually like to believe that I'm a pretty objective judge of quality.
Tom-E wrote:The map looks very empty and I don't like the size of the street(?).
:| It's scaled to some very specific proportions and is a busier map (prop-density-wise) than any of those it inherits its proportions from (Bespin, Kamino). If you think it looks empty then it probably should in those pictures - I usually try to take wide-angle shots with a minimum of units to give an overview accurately. I suppose I have failed to do that in this case.

If I have misinterpreted your criticisms then I apologize - the way you phrased it makes it look like you're just asking for a reaction and nothing else.
Fusion
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by Fusion »

Kind of reminds me of the Kashyyyk map in Elite Squadron, minus the daytime and crashed Venator. That's good, I like that map :P
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Fusion wrote:Kind of reminds me of the Kashyyyk map in Elite Squadron, minus the daytime and crashed Venator. That's good, I like that map :P
Oooh... a crashed Venator would be a cool edition to this map. 8)
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Nova Hawk wrote:Oooh... a crashed Venator would be a cool edition to this map. 8)
Not going to happen. It would ruin the ambiance and look out-of-place in a GCW-era map. (Yes, I know they were around. It would still look out-of-place.)

I haven't seen the Kashyyyk map in question but I will certainly take a look at some videos of it for comparison (if I can find them; a quick Youtube search shows nothing).