Korriban: Catacombs

Discussion, progress updates, and downloads for the Dark Times and Rising Son mods.

Moderator: Moderators

Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Korriban: Catacombs

Post by Maveritchell »

CodaRez wrote:On the contest map, shame there will be no scripted events.
I didn't say there would be no scripted events at all, I just said that there wouldn't be any in the conquest mode. One of the new modes I'm tossing around the idea of doing (with no guarantees that I will choose to do it) is an objective-conquest mode with mid-match triggered events similar to that map. One of the reasons I made that map was as a testbed for that kind of mode.
Nihillo wrote:The lava on Sullust
CodaRez wrote:on the lava another note.
I played around a lot with lava-as-water before I initially released that map, and I've played around with it a bit in the recent weeks. I don't think I'm planning on keeping it as water, I can do a much better job of making it look good if I simply use a prop.

So now that I have the two recycled maps out of the way, I'll go ahead and show you one of the new maps I have planned for this: Korriban: Catacombs.

Korriban is obviously a large Sith graveyard planet, and as a result it only makes sense that there are some of these sitting around in here. Visual references for this include the temples of Yavin IV, catacombs of Chandrila, and of course Korriban itself as seen in multiple pieces of media.
Hidden/Spoiler:
You'll notice, in the last picture, a sphere on some kind of plinth. "Catacombs" is a mostly linearly-arranged map, but several of these artifacts are scattered around the map. They teleport you to the location shown on the sphere, and the AI are pathed to take those teleports as well as normal paths, which in effect makes the map circular.

This is also the last update you'll see from me until probably a little into the new year. I'll be out of town with family and while I may be around and posting, I certainly won't be busy on this (I know to some of you it will be inconceivable that I'm not working on something :P ).

Until then, enjoy. Oh, and P.S.- if enough interest is shown in maybe some other mappers getting in on Rising Son and submitting a map or two, I wouldn't say no (in fact I would be rather pleased). I know I usually like to do everything by myself, but I have a special plan for a large addition to this mod and it can be really benefited by a large number of maps - so let me know if you have a map you might like to make. There would be some stipulations, of course (strong theme for the map, well-polished, representative of a canonical location*), but in any case let me know here. If there's enough interest shown, I may also open up a forum for this mod.

*Most designs can be shoehorned into a canon location with work, so if you have a super map that was designed without a specific place in mind, a quick Wookieepedia browse can usually remedy that.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Re: Dark Times II: Rising Son

Post by Anakin »

can you cloase the door on the 5te picture?? this can be heelpfull if you are the last on the map from your side
MandeRek
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Battlefront Zer0
Games I'm Playing :: SWTOR
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by MandeRek »

Very nice Mav', I've watched the Korriban part of the Old-Republic trailer, and it has almost the same atmosphere. Keep up the good work :thumbs:
Nova Hawk
Banned
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Wow, that looks amazing, Mav! Don't know what else to say...
Null_1138
Jedi
Jedi

Post by Null_1138 »

I think you finally gave Korriban the :thumbs: BF2 map it deserves. Great work.
Hidden/Spoiler:
I was going to start a map over holiday break, but I might adjust my plans to donate it here.
Blade117
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major

Post by Blade117 »

Great map. Cool idea with the teleports.
Lord Bardar
Under watchful eyes.
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by Lord Bardar »

Just one question:
Hidden/Spoiler:
-broken link-
Admiral Ackbar's cousins?
CodaRez
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: I would like one.....
Location: Ride around the world! And I won't give you anything :P

Post by CodaRez »

Have you ever heard of *Mon Calamari*? Which just happens to be just Ackbar's species

Heres a link to an article read

*Whoops!* Hehe, THIS should do it
Darth_Spiderpig
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: Something cool...
Games I'm Playing :: BF2 CoDBO BFBC2
xbox live or psn: Has no xbox....Yup

Post by Darth_Spiderpig »

:lol:

Nice new korriban map, Mav'. Much more Korribany like my version. :( :P
lucasfart
Sith
Sith
Games I'm Playing :: I have not listed any games yet

Post by lucasfart »

Farout! i've been away on hols for a few weaks and i come back to see this awesome mod halfway through development! it looks positively awesome.......i didn't think any mods would be able to outdo your tfu mod but this looks like it'll be twice as good not to mention with some new maps as well!
The units all look positively awesome and nearly all look totally unique to your mod with nearly all the weapons and halfof the units being new to bf. The maps also look like they're coming along really well...
great work mav!! can't wait to play this when it's all finished
Grev
Hoth Battle Chief
Hoth Battle Chief
Games I'm Playing :: Minecraft

Post by Grev »

I hate to sound blunt or rude, but Korriban seems a bit empty/monotone to me. However, I haven't played the map, and game-play may be a whole different thing, just from the screens it seems a bit empty.
Revan-Shan
Private First Class

Post by Revan-Shan »

Great maps mav. I hope you can add the KOTOR era too. You know, those stock sides which are already made.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

Revan-Shan wrote:Great maps mav. I hope you can add the KOTOR era too. You know, those stock sides which are already made.
This is a mod that takes place in the Original Trilogy era. Why would a KOTOR era be needed? Why do you even want a KOTOR era when you get it with the Convo Pack?
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

He's talking about adding it to the Korriban map.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

Teancum wrote:He's talking about adding it to the Korriban map.
Thanks for clarifying, but I still don't see the point to it.
Teancum
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin
Games I'm Playing :: Destiny

Post by Teancum »

The point is you can't play Korriban in KotOR mode if he doesn't add the functionality here. Korriban was a big map in the KotOR games, so that's why he asked for the feature to be added. Seems cut and dry to me.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Teancum wrote:The point is you can't play Korriban in KotOR mode if he doesn't add the functionality here. Korriban was a big map in the KotOR games, so that's why he asked for the feature to be added. Seems cut and dry to me.
I'm not going to add the KotOR era to this - for one, I don't want to tack on too many things to Dark Times, since it's going to have a lot anyway, and also this map is nothing like Korriban from KotOR 1 or 2.
Anakin
Master of the Force
Master of the Force
Projects :: RC Side Mod - Remastered - SWBF3 Legacy

Re: Korriban: Catacombs

Post by Anakin »

very nice.
I have a projekt at the moment a Korriban map too, but my one is bad if i see your one i think i will clear all thinks from my map and make a new projekt.