Dark Times II: Rising Son

Discussion, progress updates, and downloads for the Dark Times and Rising Son mods.

Moderator: Moderators

Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Re: Dark Times II: Rising Son

Post by Maveritchell »

Nihillo wrote: I believe you will lose some of that distinction by adding another "mirrored" class such as this one.
Maveritchell wrote:Maybe down the line I will change up the Imperial's heavy trooper - we'll have to see.
Okay well we are now "down the line." Here's another unit update:

Dark Trooper (Phase One)
Hidden/Spoiler:
Weapons: Dark Trooper Vibrosword, Blast Shield (ability), Impeller Drive (ability)

You may recognize this droid from the Dark Forces series (or maybe not, I haven't played it). Like the aforementioned Rebel Guard, this replaces a standard unlockable unit for the in-movie unit setup. Because the Heavy Trooper and Rebel Guard were similar enough, the Dark Trooper will replace the Heavy Trooper. I broke one of my own rules making this unit, and that is to never give non-hero non-Jedi units a block state - but it does make for a unique-feeling unit.

The Dark Trooper really has only one weapon - his vibrosword. He can go into a block state, but he's immobile in that state and his energy drains rapidly. Unlike the other infantry melee units, the Dark Trooper has no dash attack or jump attack (and he has slightly less health), but he can dash faster and jump higher than the other melee units. His second ability - Impeller Drive - is an infantry version of a Force Finisher (and it works the same way). His vibrosword combo can be looped ad infinitum, and on the third attack if you press the "secondary" button, he'll use the Impeller Drive - which acts as a suction for nearby units.
Delta-1035
Sith Master
Sith Master
Projects :: TOR GCWII GCW1035 BF1035
xbox live or psn: Johnny_Sciroppo

Post by Delta-1035 »

:shock: That's amazing! I love his head, awesome model. :thumbs:
RED51
Jedi
Jedi
Games I'm Playing :: SWBFII

Post by RED51 »

That is a very impressive model Mav! Is that a very clever kitbash, or a completely new model(most likely a new thing)?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

RED51 wrote:Is that a very clever kitbash, or a completely new model(most likely a new thing)?
I don't know about clever, but yes it is a kitbash. It's not as good practice, but I can make the models much quicker if I work that way (this one took less than a day). You can see that the body is really just a modified trooper body. The head is a combination of two models' heads. The great thing about a kitbash is that most of my work is just merging UVs onto a single texture and then working on the texture.
RED51
Jedi
Jedi

Post by RED51 »

Huh, well, nice job any way on the model! Since it's a droid, will we see any other droids in DTII?

edit:
Out of curiosity, what models are in the kitbash?
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

RED51 wrote:Huh, well, nice job any way on the model! Since it's a droid, will we see any other droids in DTII?
Not likely; there weren't really any combat droids that showed up then (in major sources) apart from these (and their successors, which I'm not planning on adding).
RED51 wrote:Out of curiosity, what models are in the kitbash?
Like I said, a trooper body (it can be any trooper really; they all use essentially the same UVs - I used a Stormtrooper) is most of it. The head uses a heavily modified Stormtrooper head and MagnaGuard head.
AQT
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Post by AQT »

Awesome, I had a feeling you were going to include a Phase I Dark Trooper in this mod as it was of the time period. Looks and sounds great!
Blade117
Command Sergeant Major
Command Sergeant Major
Projects :: No Mod project currently.

Post by Blade117 »

Impressive work there, Mav.
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

That unit sends shivers down my spine. Awesome work.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

:shock: looks good Mav. Sounds lime a fun unit.
CodaRez
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: I would like one.....
Location: Ride around the world! And I won't give you anything :P

Post by CodaRez »

Maveritchell wrote:
Stormtrooper Commander
Hidden/Spoiler:
Weapons: RT-97c Heavy Blaster, Flechette Mines, CryoBan Detonators, Incendiary Detonators
Hmm, by any chance did u get that pauldron from my Stormies Eq. pack?(i recognize how the pauldron isn't enveloped enough and goes thru the shoulder pad)
If so, i suggest u hex-edit a pauldron instead(which doesn't have that envelope prob)

That Phs I Trooper is BEAST! Brilliant kitbash :thumbs:
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

CodaRez wrote:Hmm, by any chance did u get that pauldron from my Stormies Eq. pack?(i recognize how the pauldron isn't enveloped enough and goes thru the shoulder pad)
If so, i suggest u hex-edit a pauldron instead(which doesn't have that envelope prob)
You recognize wrong. Anytime you have a static mesh rooted to one bone - whether it's enveloped, hexedited, or used as an addon mesh - you'll see some clipping in various poses. I could change it by enveloping part of the pauldron to the clavicle (or upperarm) bone, but then it would deform unlike a pauldron should. That particular mesh (which is being used as an addonmesh to save space - I don't have to re-load an entirely new playermodel) is optimized for minimal clipping (it's actually slightly larger and flatter than normal). I can promise you though, any pose where there is a lot of movement will result in some clipping with a model like that - no exceptions.
CodaRez
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by CodaRez »

Maveritchell wrote:
CodaRez wrote:Hmm, by any chance did u get that pauldron from my Stormies Eq. pack?(i recognize how the pauldron isn't enveloped enough and goes thru the shoulder pad)
You recognize wrong. Anytime you have a static mesh rooted to one bone - whether it's enveloped, hexedited, or used as an addon mesh - you'll see some clipping in various poses. I could change it by enveloping part of the pauldron to the clavicle (or upperarm) bone, but then it would deform unlike a pauldron should. That particular mesh (which is being used as an addonmesh to save space - I don't have to re-load an entirely new playermodel) is optimized for minimal clipping (it's actually slightly larger and flatter than normal). I can promise you though, any pose where there is a lot of movement will result in some clipping with a model like that - no exceptions.
Well the stocks actually *deform unlike a pauldron should*. Those actually are enveloped as such (what other way do u see no clipping on em) Even when moving, there is no clipping (cus the orang-ish moves with the upper arm), what a nice exception. But i guess hexing it in is a bit of a task looking at all the UVs, ur choice.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

CodaRez wrote:But i guess hexing it in is a bit of a task looking at all the UVs, ur choice.

Hexediting something in doesn't envelop it. All it does is weight the model in its entirety to a single bone - it's effectively no different than an addon mesh. What it would do (as mentioned above) is necessitate an entirely separate model to be compiled into the .lvl file. Usually hex-editing something in is a fine choice, but in this case it is not optimal.
CodaRez wrote:Well the stocks actually *deform unlike a pauldron should*. Those actually are enveloped as such (what other way do u see no clipping on em) Even when moving, there is no clipping (cus the orang-ish moves with the upper arm), what a nice exception.
CodaRez
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by CodaRez »

Ok u got me, but i swear, the pauldron isn't just enveloped to the ribcage, for u knowledge. If it was, reloading with have MORE clips(not saying there arent any)

*btw, nice gun*
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

CodaRez wrote:Ok u got me, but i swear, the pauldron isn't just enveloped to the ribcage, for u knowledge. If it was, reloading with have MORE clips(not saying there arent any)

*btw, nice gun*
I had actually typed up a nice rebuttal when I realized that once again, a picture would be much more clear and concise:
Hidden/Spoiler:
The left model is the stock marine using a rifle. The right model is my incinerator trooper which, owing to the fact that I enveloped it, I know has the pauldron enveloped to the ribcage.

This debate, of course, is largely irrelevant, but it is interesting in that it underscores the fact that small imperfections can go unnoticed if you know where and how to put them. The reason you do not see this particular clipping issue (or at least why it doesn't stick out in your mind) is largely because the stock heavy trooper uses a rocket launcher and consequently covers up that shoulder. Likewise, this clipping isn't visible in the unit selection screen nor is it visible from behind in third-person view (this holds true for the stock model, the incinerator trooper above, and the model with the addon mesh further above). You would have to expect it there and look for it with free camera to really notice it.

This is also odd because this is the second discussion I have had today re: clipping and pauldrons, and neither was remotely related to the other.

The gun model isn't mine; that's a stock heavy unit - the 1.2 patch has that pistol model (Kylan-3 Heavy Blaster) as the award pistol.
CodaRez
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by CodaRez »

Well i guess this is all amusing, that rocket launcher thing has a point (and i have been fooling around with clone feet to realize they are pointed in the middle) Things do have a place if hidden.

*right that pistol is the kylan Diet Dr. Pepper*

anyway, back on-topic i guess
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Here is a quick update on the mod's logo; it has a little more character than just text superimposed over a grayscale screenshot I think:
Here is the same logo with the tag for Rising Son included:
Hidden/Spoiler:
RED51
Jedi
Jedi

Post by RED51 »

Nice Logo! Although the Death Star should be an explosion, it is nerveless very nice!
Nova Hawk
Banned
Games I'm Playing :: MW3 BF3

Post by Nova Hawk »

Excellent logo, Mav. Good work. :thumbs: