Star Wars Episode VII "The Force Awakens"

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander
Projects :: Engineering Degree

Re: Star Wars Episode VII "The Force Awakens"

Post by jedimoose32 »

Yep, in keeping with continuity since Lando broke the other one in RotJ. Looks pretty. :)
MileHighGuy
Jedi
Jedi

Post by MileHighGuy »

TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:That design for the sith saber seems pretty um..well at least to me it seems kinda like...why have those handle thingys? Lol what benefit does those two mini saber things have? I can see the influence from medavil swords with that handle, but wouldnt you be more prone to getting your fingers cut off that way? It looks cool dont get me wrong but for some reason it bothers me :p
The mini sabers are to protect his fingers from the enemy blade, when it slides down his blade. Its the same reason as the medieval ones.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

^^ This. Plus he can use it offensively, perhaps while sabre-locked with an opponent. I think it looks pretty cool. We'll have to see how well he wields it before we make any judgments regarding its practicality.
JimmyAngler
High General
High General
Projects :: Battlefront Halation
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1-2-2015
xbox live or psn: none

Post by JimmyAngler »

Not bad, but I do sort of dislike the whole clone guy without a helmet... He could be one of the main characters with a special suit on, but it didn't look like it. The saber with the special hilt does look interesting, but my opinion is that I dislike it. If your going to improve a lightsaber, is that all you can come up with Disney? I mean, why not have a double bladed one with the blades only on one side? Or a mini one that is used as like a dagger. I still love that helmet though. Looks like the stormies are going to be much more difficult to defeat.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

jedimoose32 wrote:^^ This. Plus he can use it offensively, perhaps while sabre-locked with an opponent. I think it looks pretty cool. We'll have to see how well he wields it before we make any judgments regarding its practicality.
Still rubs me the wrong way. :p Also is it just me or is there something almost of a fan film feel? That wasnt an insult either, its just ive honestly seen fan films with a similiar aesthitic.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

JimmyAngler wrote:Not bad, but I do sort of dislike the whole clone guy without a helmet... He could be one of the main characters with a special suit on...
He's rumored to be one of the primary characters.
JimmyAngler wrote:Looks like the stormies are going to be much more difficult to defeat.
Aw yes! I'm hoping to see a scene or two during which stormtroopers do some pillaging and/or razing.
Ping
Sith
Sith

Post by Ping »

Eggman wrote:I like what I see. It's actually nice that almost everything is just slightly newer versions of designs from the OT. A new X-wing, new stormtroopers, new TIE fighters, new Millenium Falcon, etc. It gives me hope that the focus will be on a new, exciting expansion upon what we know and love, rather than some largely unrecognizable universe with an occasional stroll down nostalgia lane.

Or I could be totally wrong, and the film could end up being one long, gratuitous trek down the nostalgia highway.
Hidden/Spoiler:
But why...why can't we just get a bad guy with a normal lightsaber?
I feel the same way. It had the same "feel" as the OT, and I'm (cautiously) optimistic about it.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

I suppose it has an OT vibe. To me it feels like its own thing also. It looks like the storm troopers in here mean buissiness. Star wars rebels could learn something from that, like seriously. 8)
Kingpin
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: The Sith Wars II

Post by Kingpin »

Looks awesome, but the weird fire-like claymore saber just isn't working for me. I was really hoping for the classic star wars feel, like the one Abrams promised and delivered on the Star Trek movies.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

As expected, it has great visuals, but besides that I didn't see too much else. Stormtrooper was funny. X-wings were awesome.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Noobasaurus wrote:Stormtrooper was funny.
Did we watch the same trailer?

Agreed, visuals looked flawless. I'm sure future trailers will give us a better sense of the film's content.
Noobasaurus
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin

Post by Noobasaurus »

jedimoose32 wrote:Did we watch the same trailer?
Yes...? He was in the desert and looked around for a few seconds.
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

Oh sorry. I thought you meant the ones in the drop ship. :P My bad.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I have no issue with the lightsaber. Everyone moaned when the Phantom Menace trailer came out and they saw the double bladed lightsaber, then they saw the movie and was like "oh that actually worked and was cool."

Moving on though.

JimmyAngler wrote:Not bad, but I do sort of dislike the whole clone guy without a helmet... He could be one of the main characters with a special suit on, but it didn't look like it.

...wait what? Uh. For starters... he's not a clone. Stormtroopers simply aren't gonna be clones at this time frame, period. Secondly... why exactly do you dislike him?
jedimoose32
Field Commander
Field Commander

Post by jedimoose32 »

THEWULFMAN wrote:Image
I'm seated comfortably in first class coach, sipping expensive drinks and watching the countryside flash before my eyes on the hype train. And nobody's gonna convince me to disembark at any point. :D
JimmyAngler
High General
High General
Projects :: Battlefront Halation
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF 1-2-2015
xbox live or psn: none

Post by JimmyAngler »

THEWULFMAN wrote:...wait what? Uh. For starters... he's not a clone. Stormtroopers simply aren't gonna be clones at this time frame, period. Secondly... why exactly do you dislike him?
And why won't stormtroopers going to be cloned? I don't dislike him if he is one of the major characters, I think it would be odd to see a plain stormtrooper without a helmet.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

Personally I thought Darth Mauls saber reveal was one of the most iconic things to come out of the prequel era. :D people really whined about that? I remember the awesome convos we had about it in elementry. I showed my cousin the new trailer and we paused it on the glimpse of the new storm trooper rifles. They seem to have new cross hairs and scope designs. I hope they release a new evolution toy set with the ph1 clone trooper figure all the way up to the new ph2 storm troopers we see in the trailer.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

MileHighGuy wrote:
TWINKEYRUNAWAY wrote:That design for the sith saber seems pretty um..well at least to me it seems kinda like...why have those handle thingys? Lol what benefit does those two mini saber things have? I can see the influence from medavil swords with that handle, but wouldnt you be more prone to getting your fingers cut off that way? It looks cool dont get me wrong but for some reason it bothers me :p
The mini sabers are to protect his fingers from the enemy blade, when it slides down his blade. Its the same reason as the medieval ones.
My problem with this is that what you pointed out is clearly what they were going for, yet practically, it wouldn't work. The mini sabers have emitters at the cross guard. If an enemy were to slide their saber down the length of the blade, they'd slice right through the emitter (like Obi-Wan cutting Maul's saber in half) and cut off his hand, anyway.

If it were like this:

It'd work.
But it's not.

EDIT
JimmyAngler wrote:
THEWULFMAN wrote:...wait what? Uh. For starters... he's not a clone. Stormtroopers simply aren't gonna be clones at this time frame, period. Secondly... why exactly do you dislike him?
And why won't stormtroopers going to be cloned? I don't dislike him if he is one of the major characters, I think it would be odd to see a plain stormtrooper without a helmet.
The stormtroopers in the OT weren't clones anymore. The clones age twice as fast, remember? They'd be 60 by the time Episode IV happened.

The Empire switched to enlisted men by that time. Luke wanted become one, too, had the droids not come into his life. He wanted to go to the Imperial Academy With his buddy, Biggs, so they could become TIE pilots.
TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

^Dude if it looked like that, I would be so on board. That looks and makes so much more sense. Would you mind if I used that image for a video?
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

It's not mine. I got it from a guy on reddit who got it from another guy on reddit. So go for it.