Moraband replacing korriban as home world of the sith

Any discussion related to the Star Wars trilogies or their various spawn. Keep all Battlefront-series-related discussion out.

Moderator: Moderators

TWINKEYRUNAWAY
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General
Projects :: Empire Rising
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF Doom FONV
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Moraband replacing korriban as home world of the sith

Post by TWINKEYRUNAWAY »

http://www.jedinews.co.uk/news/news.aspx?newsID=15743

It seems that changes to the Eu are underway once agian. Though more info wont be made until the episode is shown this coming friday. What do you guys think about it?

Here is the corresponding trailer for the lost missions. You could also clearly hear the force deitys say morband as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT6gZdTUKQo

Personally I really dont think much of it, I mean they always change things around. Espcially if its of Eu origin. I could see how it would bother some people though and I have a feeling they are going to gradually make more changes like this.
AceMastermind
Gametoast Staff
Gametoast Staff

Re: Moraband replacing korriban as home world of the sith

Post by AceMastermind »

I say Moraband is just a different planet with a different name, Korriban will continue to exist but may not be known as the Sith home world anymore or it may just be one of many. This is just my take on it.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Regardless of what it is, EU already had a Sith homeworld set up. Why did they change it? For what reason? I get it, T-canon outranks C-canon, so that means the TCW writers can do whatever they want, so long as it doesn't conflict with the movies. But this just seems like it's a giant "Screw you, EU," as opposed to trying to work something in that millions of Star Wars fans were accustomed to.

And I get the Mandalore thing (I hate it, but I get it), Mandalore was something that didn't yet have a tried and true visual representation. We had heard of it and the culture from books and games, but it's just been this "place" people refer to.

But Korriban has been seen. On top of being referenced over and over again, Korriban has visual representations in video games that millions of people have played. It has an ingrained lore as an origin planet that can't be wiped away with "Oh, that culture was 3,000 years ago, it's changed since then." There's no retcon here, just overwritten work.

I'm mad.
THEWULFMAN
Space Ranger
Projects :: Evolved 2

Post by THEWULFMAN »

I'll wait to see it before I get pissed off about it.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

So let me guess, Moraband is a desert planet covered in Sith tombs and ruins of an academy and wait, isn't this just Korriban?
ARCTroopaNate
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront - Tides of War
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 RC EAW
xbox live or psn: I have ps4

Post by ARCTroopaNate »

^ Why the name change if you're going to keep it the same.
kinetosimpetus
Imperial Systems Expert
Imperial Systems Expert
Projects :: A secret project
Games I'm Playing :: Warframe STO

Post by kinetosimpetus »

I don't know if they are I'm just speculating
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

I've read, though I don't know if it's official, that it's basically another name for Korriban.
Twilight_Warrior
Droid Pilot Assassin
Droid Pilot Assassin
xbox live or psn: ScorchRaserik

Post by Twilight_Warrior »

Which, if that's true, again brings up the question: Whyyyyyyy?

Why would they need a nickname for a planet?
Why couldn't they use Korriban?

Reading the wiki, the only explanation given is that George Lucas preferred the name Moraband to Korriban during story development of these episodes. That's it. Nothing more. So really, the reason it seemed like a giant middle finger to EU canon was because that's exactly what it is...
EraOfDesann
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by EraOfDesann »

I figured that it was probably Lucas' idea because it just kinda... sounds like something he'd do. Pointless? Yes. But it doesn't really hurt existing material and thankfully it doesn't erase countless EU material. Although recently I think there was a statement that anything outside of the movies and television shows was no longer considered canon under Disney decree.
Maveritchell
Jedi Admin
Jedi Admin

Post by Maveritchell »

Twilight_Warrior wrote:Reading the wiki, the only explanation given is that George Lucas preferred the name Moraband to Korriban during story development of these episodes. That's it. Nothing more. So really, the reason it seemed like a giant middle finger to EU canon was because that's exactly what it is...
He's big on using giant, hamhanded plays on words for Sith names, and this fits (moribund > Moraband). Other than that, it's a dumb change and one I fully embrace ignoring and/or minimizing.

The deal with a rejiggering of canon status has to do with post-RotJ material, and that's on a case-by-case basis. The idea is that they're doing house-cleaning to prepare for Episode VII. I'm sure it's going to have its own fan-ire-inspiring changes, but this (Korriban) is probably unrelated.
ZaxusFett
Corporal
Corporal
Projects :: No Mod project currently.
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2_SWBF_SWRC
xbox live or psn: No gamertag set

Post by ZaxusFett »

Am I the only one who notices they sound almost exactly alike other than one is a K and the other is a M?
ARCTroopaNate
Jedi
Jedi
Projects :: Star Wars Battlefront - Tides of War
Games I'm Playing :: SWBF2 RC EAW
xbox live or psn: I have ps4

Post by ARCTroopaNate »

You are not. After seeing the episode it's Korriban, it isn't even different really in how it looks, but simply with a new name. Still can't understand the reasoning for the change. Blows my mind.